Answered

Changing wifi signal on sonos roam

• 3 January 2023
  • 3 replies

Wondering how to switch my Sonos Roam to a different wifi network while it can still pick up the original wifi signal which the other 4 permanent speakers use. I don't wish the Roam to be part of a speaker network, but to remain independent. 

Currently it's set up in the bedroom and is linked to the other house speakers. Problem is that the wifi signal is too weak in the bedroom and the signal keeps dropping out. I know want it to work independently on through the wifi from a wifi extender plugged into a socket just outside the bedroom. Would appreciate any help. Thanks. 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 5 January 2023, 11:57

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Erniebilko 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

First, please ensure that your phone/tablet is connected to the extender’s WiFi.

Then, 

1. Open the Sonos S2 app for iOS or Android.
  2. From the Settings tab, press System > Network > Manage Networks.
  3. Press Update Networks and follow the prompts to connect Sonos to your extender’s Wi-Fi network.

Please note, however, that WiFi extenders are not supported and you may not see the Roam in the Sonos app when your phone/tablet is not connected to the extender too. You also may not be able to see the rest of your Sonos system in the app when your phone/tablet is connected to the extender. It may also work without issue, though - fingers crossed! This may or may not match with your requirement of an “independent speaker network”, but I’m not entirely sure I understand what you mean by that. The Roam can and will play independently of other speakers whether is setup as a different system or not. For it to play together with other speakers, they have to be part of the same system. I recommend you keep them as one system, even if you intend to use them separately, as having two Sonos systems of the same version (S1/S2) on one network introduces more complications.

I hope this helps.

Corry P. Thanks a million for that. You understood my issue and cleared up this issue for me perfectly. Delighted now everything is firing well. All the best for 2023. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Erniebilko 

Glad to be of help - thanks for updating the thread!