Answered

Change from wi-fi to SONOSNET

Userlevel 2
Badge +4
Hi all,

I'm getting one or two drops from some of my SONOS speakers which are the furthest from my router.
I currently use seven SONOS speakers, they are all on the quietest channel so now I would like to move them all to use SONOSNET.

I realise I have to wire one speaker to start this process but have no idea how I move the remaining speakers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
icon

Best answer by John B 27 June 2016, 14:14

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Just wire one, wait a few minutes and it's done. Check in About My Sonos System that every player has WM:0 next to it. This indicates SonosNet. To ensure future stability go into Wireless Setup and delete (reset) your Wi-Fi credentials.
Make sure that you leave at least a couple of feet between router and wired component and that they are on different channels. You may have to experiment a bit to get best combination of router and SonosNet channel. Do not havee router channels et to Auto.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
Thanks John.

So the one I wire will automatically create SONOSNET but what about the other speakers do they connect automatically or do I have to go into setup for them?
The system should all switch over to SonosNet automatically. Wait a few minutes for things to settle down. Look out for LEDs flashing on the units as they make new connections to SonosNet.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
No Sp1ke. They will connect automatically. As you already have connected via Wi-Fi Sonos will determine whether the SonosNet mesh is a stronger signal or the Wi-Fi is and connect accordingly.

As John B says if you want to force the system to use only SonosNet then in settings remove your Wi-Fi login details and that will force each Sonos unit to use the SonosNet
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
Oh I see.

Thanks to all of you for the replies, quick and informative as usual 🙂
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
Hi all,

Just a quick update...

I've now wired my Play 5.
All SONOS speakers are showing as WM 0 which if memory serves me correctly is SONOS.NET?

I've yet to remove my Wi-Fi password from the speaker setup as I'll see if the furthest away speakers are more reliable.

My router also now shows the speakers under "Home Network" and all connected at LAN 3 at 100 Mbit/s.

Thanks to John B, ratty and Stuart_W for your help 🙂
All SONOS speakers are showing as WM 0 which if memory serves me correctly is SONOS.NET?
Yes.

My router also now shows the speakers under "Home Network" and all connected at LAN 3 at 100 Mbit/s.

All Sonos units -- wired or wireless -- will appear to the router to be wired, because they connect through the wired Sonos unit.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4

All Sonos units -- wired or wireless -- will appear to the router to be wired, because they connect through the wired Sonos unit.[/quote]

I see. I think I just haven't noticed them there before, just seen them under WLAN which they are no longer there.

Thanks for the reply ratty.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
Yes.

All Sonos units -- wired or wireless -- will appear to the router to be wired, because they connect through the wired Sonos unit.

I see. I think I just haven't noticed them there before, they were in WLAN which they aren't now.

Thanks for the reply ratty.
I think I just haven't noticed them there before, they were in WLAN which they aren't now.
When the units were on WiFi they would clearly have appeared as such to the router. Now that they're on SonosNet they'll all appear to be wired.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I know this thread is a little old but thought I would ask this here anyway. I just setup a new SONOS system with a PLAYBAR and a SUB in my living room.. I also have 2 PLAY:1's in other rooms. All are currently working via WiFi. I have a commercial grade advanced wireless system at home with 3 AP's serving the same SSID on different channels and power settings etc. I noticed that the SUB is the only device I don't see in my connected clients list, however it is working. All players show WM:1 except for the SUB which shows WM:2 What does this mean? I thought I would ask here before breaking out my wireless sniffer to see what was going on. Thanks!
WM:2 means the SUB is connected to the PLAYBAR directly over 5GHz, whilst the rest of the system's in WiFi mode (WM:1).
Userlevel 1
Badge
Ok thanks ratty.. I assumed that was the case but just wanted to verify.. I also assume if I were to expand the 3.1 to 5.1 with a pair of PLAY:1's in that room they would also likely pair that way to the PLAYBAR
I also assume if I were to expand the 3.1 to 5.1 with a pair of PLAY:1's in that room they would also likely pair that way to the PLAYBAR
As surrounds, yes.