Answered

Cannot connect Sonos Play:5 to WiFi

• 3 January 2021
  • 8 replies

After switching to S2, and despite factory reset, reset router, good connection via ethernet, cannot get 5 to operate via wifi. “incorrect password” error despite all other Sonos devices working ok on same password. Please help!! Worked fine on S1. 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 11 February 2021, 17:39

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7

Are you referring to your Sonos Five or Sonos Play:5 (Gen 1)? The Gen 1 Play:5 is not supported through the S2 app.

I've had a gen 1 and been working fine up to a week ago. Regularly update controller software. Has this desupport just been enforced? 

Userlevel 7

I've had a gen 1 and been working fine up to a week ago. Regularly update controller software. Has this desupport just been enforced? 

The S2 app was released in June of 2020.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4786?language=en_US

It is not desupport.  A gen 1 Play:5 simply cannot connect to a Sonos S2 system.  If you wanted to have a single system including a gen 1 Play:5 then your option was to keep everything on S1.

There was no obligation to move to S2.

Thanks guys. Yes a Sonos Five (2nd Gen) although I do happen to have an old one too running on S1.

Thanks guys. Yes a Sonos Five (2nd Gen) although I do happen to have an old one too running on S1.

@julianchesser .  Sorry, I had missed the fact that the reference to a gen 1 Play:5 was from another user crashing your thread.

The ‘incorrect password’ error is often misleading, the problem really being that the speaker cannot find a suitable wireless signal to connect to.  

If possible, please try wiring one of your other speakers by Ethernet to your router, wait a couple of minutes then try to add the Five to your system again.  

If that doesn’t work, please try wiring the Five itself and adding it.

Please post back with the outcomes - they should at least give us an idea of the real nature of the problem, which may be a failed wireless card (or may not be!).

OK tried a few things. Resetting the network wireless set up, putting ethernet into another device and then the Five again, factory reset. But still get the incorrect password error for the Five only and lose the connection when I remove the ethernet. Very strange. Before I moved to S2 the Five worked fine on the old version… ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @julianchesser 

Welcome to the Sonos Community! Apologies for the delay in replying.

Are you still having these issues? If so, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team directly as analysis of your system diagnostics will be needed to find out what is happening with your Sonos Play:5.