Bluetooth connected but no sound

• 18 November 2023
  • 289 replies

Show first post

289 replies

Bluetooth is handy but when you want quality sound it is not your best option, the wired connection is.

I thought the same so went ahead and purchased the line in adapter and an RCA to 3.5mm adapter to make this work. But the sound quality is truly terrible. So lacking in depth. Something isn't right. Any ideas as to what? 

Quite new to all this. Just upgraded from my basic Bluetooth Samsung soundbar but the quality of sound is falling way behind. Quality returns when music is played direct via Sonos app.

If not tried already, perhaps try increasing the line-in "source level" in the Sonos App room settings to a higher value start with volume at 100% and raise the level until you perhaps hear some distortion during playback and then drop it back a notch.  If no distortion is heard leave the "source level" at level 10 … try both Trueplay and adjusting the room EQ settings too until you get the sound that suits your listening environment and ears. Hope those things assist.

Userlevel 1

Hi @Jth2023 

I don’t have a timeline that I am free to share, but I think I can get away with saying that progress has been made.

Should you end up purchasing a Line-In adaptor in order to listen to your records, you will easily be able to get a refund if you decide to return it once this issue has been resolved - though, as the quality will be higher than with Bluetooth, you may not want to. We agree, however - you shouldn’t need to, and that is why we are working hard to resolve this issue.

I hope this helps.

I've worked long enough in software development to know that

1) It doesn't take two months to fix a feature that worked perfectly fine before.

2) What you're saying is just a standard reply to fob people off or convince them to buy more proprietary hardware that hasn't been selling well.

Kinda glad I've sold my system and went with Bose instead and it's been working flawlessly. Good luck to everyone else. 

Userlevel 7

Bluetooth is handy but when you want quality sound it is not your best option, the wired connection is.

I thought the same so went ahead and purchased the line in adapter and an RCA to 3.5mm adapter to make this work. But the sound quality is truly terrible. So lacking in depth. Something isn't right. Any ideas as to what? 

Quite new to all this. Just upgraded from my basic Bluetooth Samsung soundbar but the quality of sound is falling way behind. Quality returns when music is played direct via Sonos app.

Try adjusting the Source Level higher under the Line-In settings in the Sonos app. Also set Audio Compression to Uncompressed.

@Keksy24 fully agree with you, it is not that hard to rollback to previous release
(even with iOS rules – at least, they could just submit a new binary with a higher version number and go through review again. It will not take more than 5-7 days)

@Keksy24 fully agree with you, it is not that hard to rollback to previous release
(even with iOS rules – at least, they could just submit a new binary with a higher version number and go through review again. It will not take more than 5-7 days)

...and remove any ‘other’ worldwide previous bug-fixes, so that others have to wait once again for them? …and perhaps remove any security updates too? All for a Bluetooth issue, which is likely being fixed anyway.

It seems the Staff here have kept everyone updated probably as much as they can and I suspect there are other bug-fixes in the pipeline too besides this one and undoubtedly nothing is certain until things have been tested. Also there have not been any updates since last year and Sonos are occasionally criticised by some for releasing too many updates.

Another Sunday of records sat around gathering dust...any danger of a fix Sonos? Patience wearing a little thin...

Another Sunday of records sat around gathering dust...any danger of a fix Sonos? Patience wearing a little thin...

There was an update from the Sonos Staff 3 days ago here…

Userlevel 2
Badge

Another five days passed By… not listening to my vinyls … since the last warm words from Sonos...but p”rogress has been made”… recently only empty words to me. Sonos regularly makes me feel frustrated every single evening when I am looking at my Vinyl shelf.

Badge

FYI
I just got off the phone with Sonos as my Era 300 does not output audio to my Sony UBP-X800M2 bluray player. They acknowledged is a known issue with no ETA of a fix … :?

Just to chime in here, I’m having the same issue between my Sony LX310BT turntable, my Sonos era 100s and my Sonos Move 2. I’m incredibly disappointed by how long this issue has persisted and I’m considering returning or selling my full system as a result. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Call Sonos Support and talk to them before giving up and returning them.

I have two paired Sonos Era 100.
When I connect to one of them via Bluetooth on my iPhone 14 Pro, there is no sound on playback (no similar issue via WiFi or Airplay).
Today I tried to connecting to the other speaker via Bluetooth (same source), and it works - but only one speaker is playing.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Sonos isalready about to ruin a big amount of the good reputation it has bulid up over the years by the Bluetooth frustrated guys here. Please release the update! Or give some information at least!

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@mikethenike 

What kind of information are you missing?

Sonos said that they are aware of the bug, that they are working on a fix and that they can’t communicate about a timeline. 

Speaking from personal experience in software development, it is impossible to predict when a bug will be fixed. Too many concerns stand in the way. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Fixed and fixed right are also usually on different timelines too, based on enthusiasm/naivety and curmudgeonly testing.

Userlevel 2
Badge

@mikethenike

What kind of information are you missing?

Sonos said that they are aware of the bug, that they are working on a fix and that they can’t communicate about a timeline. 

Status, about the Progress, even if it is only: we are still working on it and need more testing would be the minimum of information that contributes to more trust in sonos in such an frustrating issue for so many costumers. Every few days not every few weeks.

Looking at my vinyls that I can't listen to every evening and right now is the most frustrating thing I've ever experienced in terms of HiFi hardware. I am asking myself, how could I be so stupid to sell my analog Hifi Setup and make me helplessly dedicated to some software developers. Who made my phono system not work and now need MONTHS to make it work again, only providing very poor Infos about the whole process

🤮

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If it is really important the wired analog - usb connector is a working (and better) option.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@mikethenike 

For me the status of progress is very clear at the momemt. Still working on…

I suppose the more they would tell the more people will ask again and again the same things. Not good to concentrate on work. 😉

Userlevel 2
Badge

Just for Information: Today I chatted with the Sonos support Germany. Same Status as known: they are working on the Problem. No Timeline available. As a workaround was suggested ( as before) to buy the line in adapter and send it back within 100 Days.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Before trying the buy/return option verify the return window for your country, it can vary.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Before trying the buy/return option verify the return window for your country, it can vary.

Of course a good advice… but for Germany we definitely have the 100 days option and otherwise german support staff wouldn’t have suggested that. 😉

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I tried to look at some of the different Sonos countries [pick-list at the bottom of the linked page] but I wasn’t able to see the terms for other places without logging in to them.

US Page:  https://www.sonos.com/en-us/legal/terms#legal-terms-sale-returns

We are confident that you will love your new Sonos product, however, if you are unsatisfied for any reason, simply let us know within 45 days. We will refund the full purchase price, and we will even cover the shipping cost back to us.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@Stanley_4 

Yes, indeed not all users are lucky to profit from a 100 days period. And you always should leave an eye open if Sonos is going to change rules for your country either i. A bad or in a good way.

Some month ago german users were lucky to profit in future from a best price deal that Sonos offered. If you would get a better price at one of Sonos official selling partners, Sonos will give you the same deal. 😎

I bought my first Sonos speakers about 2 months ago. They sold them at Costco, marketed whole house sound, and said they were certified with the turntable I had just bought. 2 months later I’ve never used them because sonos say it’s a Bluetooth speaker, but knows there’s a sudden issue with this Sony turntable? Bose speaker still works. Jbl speaker still works. 2 month later no eta from Sonos. Maybe this is an agile thing? Too many issues on the backlog, no automated testing?  Whatever the case, I’m buying new speakers and will never buy so Sonos again. They clearly aren’t as mature a wireless speaker maker as their larger competitors. I bought speaker to use it and have never been able to. Why would I pay for that?