Answered

Airplay unable to connect to Play:5

• 27 August 2023
  • 24 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi,

My Play:5 keeps getting the error message ‘Unable to connect to "Living Room”’.

I have:

• Restarted all devices and tried to AirPlay again
  • Switched-off Bluetooth and tried with BT on
  • Turned off Cellular Data on iPhone but same on non-cellular iPad 
  • I am not connected to any Bluetooth devices 
  • I am connected to the same WiFi
  • Reset my network settings on my iDevices
  • Reset Network Settings
  • Disabled ‘Private Address’ in the iOS Network connection 
  • Disabled WiFi calling
  • I am on latest iOS, Sonos app and speaker firmware/software
  • Tried both hard wire (CAT 5) and Wi-Fi 
  • Rebooted the router and all Sonos speakers
  • Disabled VPN software on the sending device

I have even reset the Play:5 to factory settings and reinstalled on system which does work and I can use AirPlay for a day or two then back to ‘Unable to connect to "Living Room”’.

I can AirPlay to Apple HomePod no problem. I can use Spotify connect to Play:5 no problem. 

My submitted diagnostic confirmation number is 1692353740.

Any help gratefully received. 

icon

Best answer by jTemplar 15 September 2023, 21:56

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

24 replies

Which PLAY:5? Gen 1 or gen 2? If I recall correctly, the gen 1 was built long before Apple settled on a protocol for AirPlay 2, and consequently doesn’t have the necessary electronics in it. The Gen 2, on the other hand, I use on a regular basis as an AirPlay 2 target. It shows up in the AirPlay 2 list of speaker targets in my iOS devices. 

Neither the PLAY::5 gen 1 or the gen 2 are Bluetooth capable. 

Are you running these PLAY:5s under S1 or S2?

Since you’ve generated a diagnostic, which only Sonos folk can read, I’d recommend that you call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Thanks for your reply, Bruce and sorry I forgot to say the Play:5 I’m talking about is the 2nd generation with AirPlay built-in. I do have a 1st gen Play:5 on the same system which I know does not have Airplay hence why I’m also using the S1 app. I have a 2nd Sonos system in a separate part of my home which uses more modern speakers and I control that using the S2 app and have no issues to date with Airplay on that setup. 

I’ll give the techies a call when I get a chance. 

Thanks again. 

It’s always somewhat unfortunate when all that data is ‘hidden’ in a diagnostic, something the vast majority of this community can’t see. And Sonos support themselves don’t monitor this forum, only Sonos forum moderators. 

Please keep us posted as to what you find out!

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Please keep us posted as to what you find out!

Hi again Bruce,

I contacted Sonos Support on chat as you recommended.

The agents I spoke to blamed wireless interference, other smart devices, location, and just about everything except Sonos.

I switched-off every other wireless, and smart device, relocated my Play:5 2nd Gen close to the router, wired via ethernet and still it kept throwing out the error message I mentioned above.

Over a period of two hours and chatting with two different agents the only ‘resolution’ they were able to offer was upgrade to S2 which I explained wouldn’t resolve my issue of wanting to use a 1st and 2nd Gen Play:5 on the same system.

Nevertheless, I went along with their request and upgrade the 2nd Gen to S2 and of course following the reset to factory settings and upgrade to S2 AirPlay worked, as I had already explained I knew it would, since I had previously factory reset.

Sonos (28/08/2023, 13:48:28): I’m happy we managed to fix the issue together! 
Sonos (28/08/2023, 13:48:31): Is there anything else that I can help you for now? 
Me (28/08/2023, 13:48:39): I’m not 
Sonos (28/08/2023, 13:49:12): Thank you for being part of our Sonos Community! 

Ten seconds later chat disconnected!

Totally dissatisfied with their response and attitude. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @jTemplar 

Thank you for updating the thread.

I wanted to look into this interaction you had with our customer support team to see how things could have been improved, but have been unable to find your case - only one from 2019. I presume you used a different email address from the one you use here. Could you please send me your case number in a private message (click my name, then Send Message)? Thank you.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

And then within the hour, while running on the recommended S2, I’m once again back to getting ‘Unable to connect to AirPlay’ error message.

So frustrating!

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Now that I’ve upgraded the Play:5 2nd Gen to my S2 system and, as mentioned above, it was able to connect via Airplay for about 90 minutes. 

I am able to connect via Airplay to my Sonos One, Ray and Symfonisk Bookshelf but still not the Play:5 2nd Gen.  

Curiouser and curiouser! 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

So, given that AirPlay works just fine on the Sonos speakers I listed in my previous post and based on my experience as illustrated above, it appears to me the problem is not so much additional network equipment, such as switches or access points, wireless extenders/boosters, network switches, power line adapters, iOS version, changes in network configuration, interruptions of data flow, disruption of the consistent and constant flow of data needed by Sonos, high wireless interferences levels, ethernet cable, changing from S1 to S2, distance between the speaker and the router or the need to factory reset or indeed any other smart or wireless devices such as: Wireless Smart Lights; Wi-Fi Printers ; Wireless Security Cameras; Baby Monitors; DECT Phones; or any other smart/wireless devices near the speakers all as suggested by Sonos Support but in fact . . . the Play:5 2nd Gen speaker itself!

Phew!

I quickly read through the thread here and may have missed it @jTemplar, but have you tried the speaker in different locations around the home too, just to see if that might make any difference. I can’t test the issue here with my own setup, as my speakers are Sonos Five and they have always worked fine around the home with Airplay. 

As you use iOS, you perhaps could also install the free ‘Discovery App’ and just see if the RAOP (remote audio output protocol) ID is listed ‘uniquely’ for your Play:5 and is correctly showing up on your local network. Its identifier should be listed as its MAC_Address@Sonos Room Name.

Example:B42C12DE34F6@Kitchen

Very occasionally the HomeKit registration as an ‘accessory’ can sometimes cause an issue - so perhaps (if relevant0 remove it from the HomeKit App first and then factory reset the speaker before testing things too.

Hope you can get it sorted. 👍

Here’s an example screenshot from the Discovery App where two entirely different Sonos Moves on a network each had a RAOP identifier, but were assigned the same MAC addresses, just as an example. A factory reset of both products was needed to resolve the matter.

I think the above, was where the two ‘Moves’ were left in HomeKit, registered Home accessories, but their room names had been swapped/exchanged by the user …and that caused an issue with them sometimes being unable to be targeted for Airplay playback. Anyhow I’m not sure if the information here will help to resolve your issue, but it might be worthy of some further research with your Play:5 speaker, perhaps🤔?

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I quickly read through the thread here and may have missed it @jTemplar, but have you tried the speaker in different locations around the home too, just to see if that might make any difference.

As you use iOS, you perhaps could also install the free ‘Discovery App’

Hope you can get it sorted. 👍

Hi Ken

Thanks for taking the time to reply and offer your thoughts. 🙏

I have tried the Play:5 2nd gen in different locations around my home to no avail. 

I’ve searched on the Apple App Store ‘Discovery App’ and get these results:

I’m in the UK so maybe the app you’re referring to is not available here. 

I don’t use HomeKit.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I’m unclear as to why this thread has a claimed ‘Best Answer’ from @Corry P which says “unable to find your case - only one from 2019”?

I did not select that post as best answer but given my search of this forum which reveals others with this issue I’m expecting the thread to be closed to any further replies soon as Sonos doesn’t seem to like perceived ‘negative’ comments.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @jTemplar 

I don’t know why that post was marked either, but it’s undone now.

We don’t close threads until they have had no activity for 3 months, or unless they are duplicates of other threads, regardless of how negative they are.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

@Corry P Thanks for removing that BA. 👍

Just to update this thread I followed the advice of @Ken_Griffiths to try my Play:5 2nd Gen in more different locations around my home and here are the results:

• In kitchen in external building next to existing Sonos One
  • In ground floor bedroom in external building at furthest point from router next to existing SYMFONISK 
  • In Den in external building alongside Sonos Ray
  • In upstairs bedroom at highest point in building
  • In living room on ground floor 
  • In main kitchen close to router

In all those locations the Play:5 2nd Gen works fine for normal use but is unable to use AirPlay presenting the error as mentioned in original post.

The ONE, SYMFONISK, and Ray all work fine for normal use and work as expected when using AirPlay.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @jTemplar 

The next time your Play:5 does not show as available in the AirPlay connection list, please try the following:

1. Open the Sonos app
  2. Go to Settings » System » About my System
  3. Find the IP address of your Play:5 (Gen 2)
  4. Open a browser on a device connected to your local network
  5. In the address bar, type http://[IP address of Play:5]:1400/tools.htm (the whole thing should look something like “http://192.168.0.125:1400/tools.htm”, but the four numbers will/may vary). You may want to bookmark this page
  6. Click the “mDNS Announce” button at the bottom of the page.
  7. You should see a simple page with nothing but “Success”. You can now close the browser
  8. You should now see the Play:5 appear in the AirPlay list of devices to connect to

Please also note that if you use macOS, iOS or ipadOS to initiate the connection, then you are using AirPlay v1 which is unsupported by Sonos. If, instead, you initiate the AirPlay connection from within an app (Apple Music app, or Spotify app, for example), then you are using AirPlay v2 which is supported by Sonos.

I hope this helps.

Hi Ken

Thanks for taking the time to reply and offer your thoughts. 🙏

I have tried the Play:5 2nd gen in different locations around my home to no avail. 

I’ve searched on the Apple App Store ‘Discovery App’ and get these results:

I’m in the UK so maybe the app you’re referring to is not available here. 

I don’t use HomeKit.

I’m from the UK - it’s in the UK iOS App store . See attached @jTemplar. HT`H

Sorry I can’t get images to upload to this thread for some reason, but anyway the App is called ‘Discovery DNS-SD Browser’ and the developer is shown as Lily Ballard. (I’m not in any way associated to the App other than I occasionally use it myself).

edit: @jTemplar, the way forward is to follow the Sonos Staff advice above.. and see if the speaker works with Airplay v2 and either the Apple Music, or Spotify Apps.
Hope you sort it.👍

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

@Corry P My Play:5 2nd Gen always shows as available in the AirPlay connection list but when selected keeps getting the error message ‘Unable to connect to "Living Room”’. Thanks for the suggestion though which I did try a couple of days ago after seeing it in one of your previous posts. After following your instructions as above my Play:5 2nd Gen then does not show as available in the AirPlay connection list but returns after a restart of the iOS device. Nothing else. 

@Ken_Griffiths Thanks, after searching for ‘Discovery DNS’ the app shows up in the App Store so I’ll give it a look once I get through troubleshooting with support. 

Thank you both. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @jTemplar 

Ah yes - apologies. I see now that the mDNS Announce would not in fact help with your situation. It’s just the last thing I usually try with AirPlay issues.

I did find the following, but it seems in order for it to work, the speaker would have had to have been restricted in the first place:

1. From the iPhone or iPad that has the Home Accessories setup, launch Apple Home app.

• This will need to be the same iPhone or iPad that was used to restrict access to the Sonos Players. Using a different mobile device that is not a member of the Apple System Share Home will be unable to accomplish this.​​​​

• If the customer does not have the mobile device that restricted the Speakers or is not part of the Home Sharing users, please skip to Step 2.
  2. Go to the Home Settings by tapping on the three dot icon in the top right and select Home Settings. IMG_6722.jpg

3. Tap on Speakers & TV.
  4. image (3).png
  5. Enable the Anyone On the Same Network option.
  6. IMG_6724.jpg

Note: Be sure that the "Require Password" option is disabled.

7. Confirm if we are now able to Airplay to the compatible Sonos products.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Thanks to all and just to keep you in the loop here’s what’s happening at the moment. 

Telephone support have got me to lock my Play:5 2nd Gen into its own little sandbox network using a mobile hotspot where it’s happily sitting all alone, save for a controller device, and despite an initial ‘Unable to connect to “Test’, whereupon I was asked to factory reset it is now content to AirPlay undisturbed by any other Sonos speaker or indeed anything at all.

I’ll keep you updated. The excitement is killing me. 🫣

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Status embed installed correctly

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @jTemplar 

I was reviewing this thread to see if it had a resolution yet, but found your last post a little confusing.

Have you now been able to resolve this issue of being unable to connect AirPlay to your Play:5 (Gen2)?

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Following advice from Sonos tech experts I have removed my Play:5 2nd Gen from my S1 home wide system and placed it in a room closer to the router on its own S2 system by itself and there have been no further issues with unable to connect to Airplay.

Therefore the issue appears to be resolved so thanks to all who replied here.