Answered

Airplay audio issues on iPad/iPhone and not on Mac

• 26 December 2023
  • 1 reply

Badge

I recently bought a pair of Sonos One SL. My HomePod was a disaster with frequent connection problems.

I recognize the issues above and I have them with my pair of Sonos One SL as follows:

Connection with my iPad and iPhone: Airplay connection can be made… but when I start a stream (Apple TV app or Apple Music App), the video starts and in case of Music the counter starts, but there is no audio. You can see the connection though Airplay indicated on the device, but after a few seconds the connection breaks and the audio starts playing through the iPad or iPhone speakers.

I sometimes manage to get a working connection with audio after closing WiFi connection, restart of iPad/iPhone, but I did not find a solution that always works… 

A very strange behavior though… And… I can have a steady connection with Airplay from my Mac! So it is a problem with iOS / iPadOS for sure. 

Interesting; when my iPad does not play audio through my Sonos and I change the airplay setting from ‘Sonos’ to ‘My Macbook speakers’, it does work. 

One other thing I encountered: if everything works fine and I play an Apple TV App series on my iPad and I pause and resume it a few times, the eventually audio will stop working… then the video starts without audio. This lasts a few seconds (think 10 seconds) and then audio will start playing from the iPad speaker.

Well… One real good thing is that when the Sonos speakers are playing there is no intermittent audio loss anymore. I had that a lot with my HomePod (2nd gen). I love Apple, but they should stay away from speakers… I had the same issues with HomePod minis and should have been warned…

And a stereo pair of Sonos One SL really sound very well! And much better than one HomePod.

If anyone has the same issues with Airplay as I describe above; please let me know and share whatever you did to solve it or we can share our experiences and let Sonos (log files) look into it. Eventually Apple seems to be to blame. But that's my conclusion since Airplay on Mac is always working and on iOS / iPadOS not.

icon

Best answer by Jamie A 27 December 2023, 17:37

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @William Willem,

If your Mac is working but your iPhone and iPad aren’t, then it’s possible that there’s something blocking their connection but not the Macs. Do you have any VPN software on the iPhone/iPad that could be preventing them from connecting?

If you have any extra networking equipment, it’s possible that they are also preventing the connection to your Sonos speakers. I’d also suggest checking if the iPhone and iPad are up to date, and if you haven’t rebooted them in a while, try powering them off for a few minutes.

I’d recommend reaching out to Apple for further assistance, as they may have access to some sort of Airplay log to see why it’s disconnecting and if there’s any troubleshooting they can provide.

I hope this helps!