Answered

access point mode on router not working on sonos one.

• 15 December 2022
  • 30 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Thanks for the advice!

I ended up deleting the speaker, and then re-installing it.  As to why I had to do this, who knows?  It seemed to work though.  This is beyond frustrating though, as I spend a lot of time in my garage.  Having a dependable sound system would be great!

The power supply is fine.  It’s a new building that had to be inspected by the county.  I have swapped speakers around.  It seems to be only the  connection in the garage.

thanks again

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @jellikit 

Thanks for swapping the speakers - that narrows possibilities down considerably.

Your reply is a little ambiguous, however - you state that you fixed the issue by deleting (I presume you mean factory-resetting) the speaker and adding it again, but you then later state that you swapped the speakers and the issue remained in the Garage. Are you still experiencing the issue? Or was the speaker swap done before the reset?

These are the reasons why a speaker might reboot, and whether or not I feel they apply to your situation:

• Interruption of power supply - the most likely, in my opinion. This could be the breaker, the mains cabling, the wall socket, the plug, the speaker’s power cable or the cable’s seating in the socket.
  • A hardware fault of some kind - if it was this, the issue would follow the speaker when it’s swapped with another, so it seems this is not the answer.
  • A network change - I had to check with a colleague about this, as I thought the speaker’s reboot looked more like a hard-reboot, but it seems a soft reboot that would happen due to a network change could look like what I see. Therefore, the speaker reboot may have been caused by the router doing...something.
  • Environmental Heat - if it’s particularly hot in the Garage, this could make the speaker reboot in a mistaken attempt to protect itself (it’ll incorrectly presume the heat is coming from itself due to maxed-out CPU usage) - I’ll let you decide if this is likely.
  • Corrupted configuration settings (or something) - the reset would have addressed this, in which case it’s already fixed.
  • A completely random, cosmic event (like a supernova going boom thousands of years ago, and thousands of light-years away, delivering a high-energy proton in the exact spot on the CPU needed to cause a bit-flip and a system crash) - as the issue repeated, this seems unlikely, but it could have also caused the previous corruption possibility. Yes, really.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18
  • A completely random, cosmic event (like a supernova going boom thousands of years ago, and thousands of light-years away, delivering a high-energy proton in the exact spot on the CPU needed to cause a bit-flip and a system crash) - as the issue repeated, this seems unlikely, but it could have also caused the previous corruption possibility. Yes, really.

Thanks for the link to this interesting video, I learned something today.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Corry,

I switched speakers months ago and narrowed the problem down to the garage itself.  Not the speaker.  I have gone round and round with Sonos and Netgear…….for literally 2 years.  So, needless to say, I am frustrated.  But, you helped the situation for sure.  I got everything working great for the past couple of months by following your recommendations.  Now I am having issues again.  I can not say if it is the router or the speaker……because it has never been fully resolved.  But your help has been greatly appreciated.  Thanks so much.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @jellikit 

You are most welcome.

The only other thing I can think of trying is to wire the Garage speaker using the cable that currently connects the second router to the first. This will stop you from having internet access in the garage on your phone, but it may make the speaker more reliable. If this proves to be the case, you could then fit a switch to the same cable, so that the speaker and router can both be wired to the main router via the switch, restoring your internet connection there.

This way, only the phone and app would be connecting via the second router. As the actual playback of music would not rely on the second router, perhaps this will turn out to be more reliable.

Of course, if the issue was indeed due to a power interruption, these steps will not help.

I hope this helps.