Skip to main content

Hi everyone,

I’m facing an issue with my Sonos system and would appreciate any advice. Here are the details:

• Devices: Sonos Play:1 and Play:5 (both wired)
  • Operating Systems: iOS and macOS (latest version 18.01)
  • Sonos App Versions: Updated to the latest version

Issue:
I can’t seem to find either of my devices in the app. Here’s what I’ve tried so far:

1. Factory Reset: I factory reset both devices, but that didn’t help.
  2. Installed S1 App: Since my devices are older, I installed the Sonos S1 app. It indicated that they have S2 software, making them incompatible with the S1 app. This also proves the devices are discoverable!
  3. Network Check: I’ve checked my LAN, and everything seems to be functioning well and discoverable, and there have been no router/lan/wan changes. 
  4. Reinstalled S2 App: I deleted and reinstalled the latest version of the S2 app on my phone and checked the network is discoverable by the app.

Despite all these efforts, I’m still unable to locate the devices.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Any suggestions on how to resolve it would be greatly appreciated!

Hi

For future reference, please don’t Factory Reset your devices unless advised to do so, at least not all of them at the same time, as this deletes any diagnostic information, as well as all of your system settings, including music sources, playlists etc.

As a result of Factory Resetting all of your devices, you therefore don’t have a ‘system’ to connect too. You’ll need to add your devices to the S2 App and set your system up from scratch.

Once you’ve done this, please let us know if the issue persists or not.

Hi

For future reference, please don’t Factory Reset your devices unless advised to do so, at least not all of them at the same time, as this deletes any diagnostic information, as well as all of your system settings, including music sources, playlists etc.

As a result of Factory Resetting all of your devices, you therefore don’t have a ‘system’ to connect too. You’ll need to add your devices to the S2 App and set your system up from scratch.

Once you’ve done this, please let us know if the issue persists or not.

Ahh - I now know about reset…. but surely this is now the equivalent as I have just bought…. ANyway that’s not the issue at hand. As I said in my note S2 cannot see the devices (but s1 does), therefore I cannot add.

Sorry Mike, I mis-understood from your comment about not connecting, that the App couldn’t connect to your devices not that you had tried to add a new Sonos Device.

If you uninstall the S2 App and then re-install it, does it ask if you want to connect to an existing system or create a new one?  If Yes, please select new system and then try and add your devices..

You may also want to read my article below, if you’ve also rebooted your Router when trying to resolve this issue:

Sorry Mike, I mis-understood from your comment about not connecting, that the App couldn’t connect to your devices not that you had tried to add a new Sonos Device.

If you uninstall the S2 App and then re-install it, does it ask if you want to connect to an existing system or create a new one?  If Yes, please select new system and then try and add your devices..

No worries - “ existing system or create a new one? “ I get the choice - both options fail. Same process with S1 app it finds the devices but cannot connect because they have M2 firmware/OS.

You may also want to read my article below, if you’ve also rebooted your Router when trying to resolve this issue:

My network is all good - I did reboot just incase plus all my devices have fixed DHCP addresses and a double check their are no conflicts. 

No worries - “ existing system or create a new one? “ I get the choice - both options fail. Same process with S1 app it finds the devices but cannot connect because they have M2 firmware/OS.

Are you able to connect one device via an Ethernet cable and retry?

Did you try to connect to them without the Ethernet connected?

Are you able to connect one device via an Ethernet cable and retry?

They are both Ethernet and I can see the connection on my router and the m1 app can see them but as i said in original post the m1 app can’t add because the devices have m2 software.  

Did you try to connect to them without the Ethernet connected?

They are both factory reset so won’t / can’t connect to WiFi.  

Interesting - used my wife's phone and all worked!! I’ll dig around to see if I can see why and post here.

To close off the thread. I didn't find out exactly what the issue was but I have it working.  iPhone - I “Reset Network Settings” and all works fine!