Worst most complicated piece you'll ever buy. Avoid at ALL costs

Userlevel 2
Don't Buy. Never been able to get it working properly. You can't even make it useful by plugging in your iPhone into it with a 3.5mm to 3.5mm lead. Its not plug and play which is basic for most systems.....You have to tell it to do that function with the controller.....Absolute S**T

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

126 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Mine works fine☺
The reviews, both professional and amateur, decidedly disagree.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Mine works great!  Everyone who uses it says it is the best and easiest system they have ever used.
Userlevel 3
Love mine and works great. 🙂 Perhaps if you're having issues you could elaborate further and the forum can help you resolve the problem. Graham
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes ... simple things like you can set the speaker so you don't have to use controller and 3.5mm input will autoconnect.
Userlevel 3
I'm guessing Ray has other issues besides getting two speakers to work.
My suggestion: Get a teenager!! They I purchased Play5 and bridge yesterday. It took my 15 year old daughter less than 15 minutes to take it out of the box, download onto her IPod and my laptop, and connect with our Pandora account. And that's with miserably slow DSL internet in our rural area.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Great one PJ - the next Sonos promo - coupon in box to borrow a teenager for 15 minutes to setup.  Better make that 30 minutes so they have 15 more minutes to show how it works.
yeah, after using it for 2 years with 3 speakers and being confined to the Sonos platform (can't even stream video sound through Sonos, and importing your own music library is hit or miss - I've given up), and seeing "Sonos was unable to connect" every 5 minutes or so, I can now honestly say that THIS SYSTEM IS AN OVERPRICED PIECE OF SHIT! Which is a shame, it could have so much potential, but hey. The market will decide, my bet is that they won't be around for more than 2 years or so and then slowly fade into the black hole of useless tech crap. Adios.
yeah, after using it for 2 years with 3 speakers and being confined to the Sonos platform (can't even stream video sound through Sonos, and importing your own music library is hit or miss - I've given up), and seeing "Sonos was unable to connect" every 5 minutes or so, I can now honestly say that THIS SYSTEM IS AN OVERPRICED PIECE OF SHIT! Which is a shame, it could have so much potential, but hey. The market will decide, my bet is that they won't be around for more than 2 years or so and then slowly fade into the black hole of useless tech crap. Adios.
They have doubled their sales every year since 2010, and are approaching $1 Billion in sales this year. Your marketing analysis needs some work.
I don't think so, he is right i liked the sonos and i have them all around the house but now i consider to trow them away it's becomming crap.

1. if you pickup a sonos controler he needs at least 10sec before he finds the network and can play music (was never the case)

2. HD audio becomes mainstream users ask for it sonos say s NOT PLANNED ???? why the hell not if streaming becomes the standard, and mobile phone providers are the main sponsors from streaming music services and prices pro mb are going down  then the want to sell more mb's if you can hear the differents or not.

3. if the prices from the harddisk drops and storage will become cheaper and cheaper more people have huge music collections Sonos says 65000 numbers is more than enough. why ??

4. everything becomes wireless the demant for ip adresses will increase in every home your windows sees all those products why can't we give then names instead of ip numer only (i'have about 20 sonos devices ) and let me give them a ip number so i can make a dedecated for them.

5. i can go on and on but i made my statement

No if i see the massive product campaing (in nederland) and if i see the way the developement in the products are all mainstream low end, lets be honest the speaker from sonos sounds like crap take a connect-amp with piezo speakers and it sounds 10 times better for less money 

i think the people who created the sonos with there passion for quallity sound have now there passion in money and i think that within 2 to 3 years the company goes to the stock exchange and management cash in or the sell the company to another major brand. one way or the other its the end of sonos 

and i hope that the get a lot of money but for the users of sonos it's a shame
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
As an fyi. Each sonos unit gets an IP address. You can find the ip address for each under help... About my sonos system. Then you can go into router and make them static addresses.
I know i diden't tell but i'm a system engineer. the underlaying reason for static ip adresses is somthing else. if the devices are aware of there own ip adress the can also hold al list of there neighbors and it will be easyer to play directly if you pick up a remote because the list can goes arround in sonos own network. now the don't know there own ip and must check if it's still availeble  and then the can see the rest of the sonos(en) a ip request cost time

but thanks for the anwser 
You are a system engineer and you can't make DHCP work for a home music system?  Something tells me I wouldn't want to hire you.
it's a shame you didn't read or understand the rest of the story  
Read it, understood it.  My comment stands.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
System Engineer doesn't always equal network engineer.

DHCP requests happen at startup, then renewals happen at half the lease time. This is automatic as part of the DHCP process. As long as a device remains active on the network and the DHCP server remembers what leases it has handed out, there aren't usually issues with a device's IP address becoming used by a new device.

As for the neighboring devices part, all of the Sonos devices are regularly broadcasting their presence on the network anyway, for a variety of reasons (controller discovery, DLNA/UPNP, etc.), so it really doesn't matter if it has the same address all the time or not. Sonos devices will know and track each others' IP addresses because of those broadcasts.

Personally I set up DHCP reservations for my Sonos devices, so they all have the same IP address all the time. I also give them unique hostnames that resolve through my router's DNS, so I can uniquely identify them with a ping command or in a browser (rather than have them all register with the hostname "SonosZP"). Is this a necessary step? Not at all. But I do it because I want that level of control on my network.
Userlevel 2
Oh is that all there is to do then!!! ....... God I thought I could just go into a shop and buy a piece of kit that would play my music. As this thread stated at the start......Worst most complicated piece of crap I ever bought. AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Like I said... is this a necessary step? Not at all. I do it because I want more control over my network. My Sonos equipment worked just fine before I went that far.
Userlevel 2
Yes ... simple things like you can set the speaker so you don't have to use controller and 3.5mm input will autoconnect.
Knob 
Userlevel 2
I'm guessing Ray has other issues besides getting two speakers to work.

Yes I have Dave, issues that two sessions with the "engineers" over the phone couldn't fix. As the twat before suggests I am not very technical, but why should you need to be to play your music? Over complicated crap .... sorry.
Userlevel 2
Jgatie They have doubled their sales as idiots like me buy them. The premise of what they could do was brilliant. It would be really interesting however to know just how many are being used and how many are just expensive doorstops. 
Since yours is the only thread calling it crap, I suggest the number of them being used as doorstops is infinitely small.  In addition, Sonos products are ranked among the best consumer electronics products on Amazon.com (earning 4.5 stars out of 5 from over 2000 reviews), and the Play:1 is the #1 best selling bookshelf speaker.  You don't get those rankings by selling "crap".   If they were really crap, word would get out and Sonos would fold like the many competitors before them (i.e. Squeeze, Linksys, etc.).
thats besides the point

betamax was the best, VHS won and that was crap

sonos was far ahead of the competition. it was technical advanced and user friendly

now the market is changing the demants becomming higher and sonos doesn't change. sure it developes  new apps and yes we get the next streaming services. but it isn't technical advanced any more and user friendly ???  if i must wait several seconds before i can play music with a sonos controler because he is seaching for his network??

read the problems user encounter with the sonos and it is not the cheapest system on the market  and don't get me wrong i like the concept of sonos but instead of improving the system it becomes $%^&$#

if sonos comes with a version with a better DAC and clock 24/96 playback or its own controllers i buy them but if it stays the same i look for an other brand

so i think that the current strategy of sonos is for the short period and not for the long run and thats a pitty for us users and for employes from sonos

@ mike networkwise i know my stuff my current level is CCar (cisco) i see a lot of problems how the sonos behaves on a network and i know my way arround most of the times, but "normal" users are mostley lost if you say ip-adress. in the larger routers you can program routes depending of the packets. but it is al lot of work and if my dad (71 years) comes here and everything reacts immediately he want it to, but programming is not an option in consumer routers. one thing i never undestood with the sonos why the don't register correct in the DNS server it is so simpel take the device followed by the room ZP-<Roomname> now you must name them yourself in the DNS server

but thanks for trying to help

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have a neighbor who's high dollar installer added Airplay to his Crestron system and it wouldn't even play a song all the way through.  I helped him remove the airplay and add in Sonos.

He never has a problem.

And he never comes on this board because he "never has a problem"

Millions of buyers - I don't see millions of people with problems.