Answered

Will it be possible to use a generic USB-C to Ethernet adapter with the new Era speakers?

• 20 March 2023
  • 8 replies

Will it be possible to use a generic USB-C to Ethernet adapter with the new Era speakers? That’s instead of the $39 Sonos adapter. Cheers! 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 23 March 2023, 10:10

View original

8 replies

No idea, since they haven’t shipped. It would certainly be worth a test, and perhaps a non-Sonos reviewer has already tested this? All the reviews I read were under Sonos restricted test setups, so none of them were able to do their own testing of the system, but I’d think/hope that new reviews will be coming shortly, or are out now, that I’ve not yet read. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @aixi 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Possibly, but they definitely won’t be supported.

I hope this helps.

Hi @aixi 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Possibly, but they definitely won’t be supported.

I hope this helps.

Hi @Corry P ,

Thanks for your response. 

Possibly would imply they might be supported; “definitely won’t be supported” would imply… well, the opposite - which is it? :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I think “supported” was meant in the sense of “don’t call Sonos if it does not work”…….

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @aixi 

“Possibly” refers to whether it would work or not.

“Definitely not supported” means if things don’t work, Sonos won’t be assisting you in getting it to work.

Sorry if I wasn’t clear.

Edit: @106rallye beat me to it.

Hello,

Today May 25th, 2023 I purchased the Sonos ERA 300 from Bestbuy to replace my Sonos ONE SL surround. I can definitely tell that using another brand USB C to Ethernet did not work for me. I ordered 2 UNI 2.5 USB C Thunderbolt 3&4 adapter and my ERA 300s just disconnect from the WIFI network and longer visible on the Sonos App. The ERA’s front LED just flashes red, when removing the adapter the ERAs reconnect to the WIFI network. It’s really sad that they don’t allow you to use “any” usb c adapter since theirs is backed order until June 17, 2023 per their website. No one has this adapter on hand. The issue I’m currently experiencing is the ERAs audio cuts every few seconds which is unbearable and unusable. I’m using the Amplifi Alien Router and have changed the wifi channels to different channels to test and the same results. I’m debating if I should return the ERAs and wait till I get the adapters and then repurchase them again.

Which soundbar are you using? Were the ONE SL’s wired or wireless when used as surrounds? Is the soundbar wired or wireless? Surround speakers communicate directly with the soundbar over a private 5GHz connection, they are not using the Ubiquiti WiFi. Are you using any Ubiquiti mesh points?

We don’t have enough information about your system and network to provide much help. I think that working with SONOS support will be more productive. Submit a diagnostic, log the confirmation number and phone support. Network issues leave tracks in the diagnostic. WiFi interference is a likely cause.

I’m not optimistic, but rebooting the soundbar and ERA’s might help. Submit the diagnostics prior to the reboot because some diagnostic detail will be cleared by the reboot.

Also, any Sonos device has the line in disabled when used as surrounds. It’s always been this way. If the Era 300s are indeed set up as surrounds, even the Sonos adapter won’t turn on the line in.