Answered

wifi

• 27 December 2022
  • 3 replies

I work at a school with a sever and APs all over. I have a Sonos 1 in the main office, the lounge, and 2 in the cafe. If I group lounge and main office together they work or just the two in cafe. If I group all 4 together to play they do not work. Is it because they are on different APs (same network)? Is there a way to make this work or no? Also I have it on the student Wi-Fi because it doesn’t require a user name and password. I should have it on staff wifi but it requires username and password and I don’t think you can do that with sonos sadly.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 27 December 2022, 22:39

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Same “network” isn’t the actual way it works, from a larger perspective. All the Sonos need to be on the same subnet, in order to play properly with each other. I would expect your speakers, while on the same network, are on different subnets within that network.

And no, Sonos, being a “whole home” and not “whole business network” system, don’t provide a method by which they’ll connect to a username/password system. 

So for this to work, I would need to make a static ip/subnet for them?

If you want them to communicate with each other, group properly, and play music in sync, yes.