Skip to main content

[Solved: see 4th post]

Hi!

This is quite odd:

My Roam in Bluetooth mode allows me to adjust the volume, no problem.

My Move doesn’t. The volume slider on the phone changes, but it has no effect on the actual volume. That can seemingly only be controlled when I hit the touch buttons.

This is quite ridiculous, given it should be very similar firmware and adjusting your volume in Bluetooth mode seems like a very common use case for a speaker that’s supposed to be used, on the move, without available Wifi.

When is a fix for this coming? Should be trivial, given it already works with the Roam.

Thanks.

L

Both those devices are working here for me, that’s the Move and Roam, in either Bluetooth, or Wifi, mode, I can control their volume using either their own hardware buttons, or the controller device (an iPad in my case) hardware buttons/on-screen controls. 

Are you using the same mobile controller when attempting these things? If so, maybe try power-cycling your ‘Move’, delete it’s pairing and then re-pair again to see if that fixes it for you.

Hey @Lorto77,

I’ve tested this on both my Roam and Move from my Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra and I can’t replicate what you’re reporting. I’m able to control both Sonos players with my volume keys - even while my phone is locked.

What device are you using and what app do you have open (if any) when trying to control the volume?

[Edit: This seems to be a Google Pixel related problem where the audio output switcher is the default Android app. In my case it was Android 10. With Samsung’s etc that have their own audio output selection apps this doesn’t seem to be a problem.]

Thank you Ken for your prompt response.

Yes I am using the same Android phone, a PIxel 3.

So it allowed volume adjustment for the first 12%: 0% 4% 8% 12% and that was mute to full volume.

So I rebooted my phone too and that somehow fixed it! Now I have 0-100%

100% being the highest volume set on the Move, so if I set it very low on the Move that is the max I’ll get.

I can live with that, amping it up once on the Move and then adjusting it down via BT.

Thank you @Ken_Griffiths !

Thanks @James L. the issue is odd, rebooting the phone gave me the full volume slider, before it only took the first three steps.

But, I still have to adjust the max volume on the Move, and then I can alter it within the min and max(set via the touch buttons) via the usual volume controls.

I am on the newest Android, using a Pixel 3.

I think the first problem, adjusting BT volume not working correctly was an Android problem.

The setting the max via the touch buttons and then being able to adjust via BT within that set range, is odd, but works fine.

Ok I checked again.

I can reproduce the problem by first connecting to the Roam. Not disconnecting from it, while connecting to the Move. That switches the audio channel to the Move, but screws up the volume adjustment. (It also blows my ear drums, as it somehow then goes to a very high setting)

On the Roam, when I adjust the volume on the Move itself, it moves the bluetooth volume up on my phone, so it is synced.

On the move it doesn’t.

I tried rebooting and checked whether connecting to the Roam first messes it up.

In a nutshell, whenever I connect to the Roam and then the Move, I need to restart my phone, as somehow then only gives me the first 3 steps on BT volume that actually do something 0%-12%.

After a reboot is fine.

I am wondering @Ken_Griffiths @James L. : Does on your phones, when you are connected to the Move, changing the volume via the touchbuttons actually adjust the slider on your phone? That’s how it should be but isn’t for me on the Move. On the Roam this works fine.

This has btw great potentially to have the move run on very high volume without wanting it, I moved it further away for testing as to not fall of my chair. :)

I can live with this, I’ll just not use the Roam at all and will carry the Move from one room to another and just use the Roam for travelling and will hopefully remember to reboot my phone when coming home. 

It’s not ideal and I think the problem is the linking of the volumes. Changing the volume on the Move should reliable also change your BT volume. I hope you can reproduce this and fix it.

I can reproduce the problem by first connecting to the Roam. Not disconnecting from it, while connecting to the Move. That switches the audio channel to the Move, but screws up the volume adjustment. (It also blows my ear drums, as it somehow then goes to a very high setting)

On the Roam, when I adjust the volume on the Move itself, it moves the bluetooth volume up on my phone, so it is synced.

On the move it doesn’t.

I tried rebooting and checked whether connecting to the Roam first messes it up.

In a nutshell, whenever I connect to the Roam and then the Move, I need to restart my phone, as somehow then only gives me the first 3 steps on BT volume that actually do something 0%-12%.

After a reboot is fine.

I am wondering @Ken_Griffiths @James L. : Does on your phones, when you are connected to the Move, changing the volume via the touchbuttons actually adjust the slider on your phone? That’s how it should be but isn’t for me on the Move. On the Roam this works fine.

Thanks for the detailed repro steps!

I tried doing exactly as you mentioned here but I don’t run into this issue. I have a feeling it’s got something to do with how your phone handles Bluetooth media controls.

I can connect simultaneously to the Roam and Move and switch between them without messing up the volumes. My phone uses Samsung SmartThings as its audio controller to choose where the audio should be sent (screenshots below). Tapping the touch buttons on either device when targeted does also change the media level on my phone. Unfortunately I don’t have access to a Pixel 3 (or any other Pixel device) to test this fully but I’m not able to reproduce what you’re describing here on my Samsung phone, therefore I can only assume it’s device specific.

@James L. Thanks. From the looks of it it seems to then be an issue of Google Pixel and its vanilla Android.

You might want to put a aGoogle Pixel] in the subject line, I am not able to edit it.

And let’s hope G fixes it, though they seem to be making things much worse with Android 11, from a quick look at their Beta forums. :( 

Thanks for your prompt responses.