Question

Why I'm returning / selling my brand new Sonos Play 1

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

122 replies

the Linkwitz LX521s, at about $5K per pair, plus some relatively inexpensive ATI amplifiers to drive them. They are larger than most people will want to have in the living room; a pair of Play:5s will sound almost as good, and are far more wife-friendly.
I will take the "almost as good" alternative even without any kind of listening test and let my brain fill in the gap! I can't see myself wiring 6 - or is it 8? - amplifiers to these speakers and back to mains power, whose designer has this to say about the speaker design:-):
" I envisioned the LX521 as a piece of machinery, an electro-acoustic transducer, a sculpture with acoustic integrity. I cannot help you if the looks prevent you from building them. Sorry."
Lol. Yep.
On the bucket list though, are these:
http://www.quad-hifi.co.uk/product-detail.php?pid=11
Probably need a larger house as well:-). But even a Connect Amp may be all they need. But they do look as good as they probably sound too.
I am not sure about the context of that statement....

He said "I would say a pair of Play:5s can't be beat for less than $40,000". I'm not commenting on what he didn't say...

I would love to see a level matched blind test of a 5 pair + Sub in a usual sized domestic room, with any of the said expensive kit, and see how many users mark down the latter as the sound they prefer. I haven't seen such a test anywhere, and I doubt it will ever happen.

The results would be interesting, certainly...
I don't think you can get better sound from anything pricier than the Linkwitz LX521s, at about $5K per pair, plus some relatively inexpensive ATI amplifiers to drive them. They are larger than most people will want to have in the living room; a pair of Play:5s will sound almost as good, and are far more wife-friendly.

So not as good, then.... And they're only $5k per pair....
@Amun - does your Sonos listening experience include a stereo pair of gen 2 Play:5s plus Sub, Trueplay-tuned?

If so, and you still think Sonos is only a "good-enough compromise", then fair enough. Our views are different but I respect your opinion. If it doesn't, then you are not in possession of the necessary information to judge.

Have you double blind tested then against (say) a pair of Quad Electrostatics with decent amps?
On the bucket list though, are these:
http://www.quad-hifi.co.uk/product-detail.php?pid=11
Probably need a larger house as well:-). But even a Connect Amp may be all they need. But they do look as good as they probably sound too.

That's not logical - if they're no better than a Sonos set-up, why would you want them at all?

I definitely want them for their sound, but they're not room and wife friendly...
@Amun - does your Sonos listening experience include a stereo pair of gen 2 Play:5s plus Sub, Trueplay-tuned?

If so, and you still think Sonos is only a "good-enough compromise", then fair enough. Our views are different but I respect your opinion. If it doesn't, then you are not in possession of the necessary information to judge.

Have you double blind tested then against (say) a pair of Quad Electrostatics with decent amps?

No of course not I'm not claiming they are the best speakers in the world, just a lot better than you are giving them credit for.
However, I have totally subjectively tested them against a £7000 Cyrus / PMC system and had to admit, rather reluctantly, that I didn't think it sounded significantly better than my Sonos P:5s plus Sub.
No of course not I'm not claiming they are the best speakers in the world, just a lot better than you are giving them credit for.

I've already said that they are probably the best at their price point.

I'm not the one saying "I would say a pair of Play:5s can't be beat for less than $40,000, and they're $500 each."

The Quad speakers, including a decent amp, are much, much less than $40k....
Badge
Being used to a €150 Logitech 2.1 system, i'm confronted with a similar experience as the original poster. Compared to the cheap Logitech the music i play on this Play:1 mono-setup sounds dull, as if all mastering/production was stripped from it. I'm also bothered with the disappointing EQ, the Loudness is barely audible since on/off don't make much difference.

I've picked up this may be due to the use of Spotify but i'm not sure what service could offer me a better experience.
Compared to the cheap Logitech the music i play on this Play:1 mono-setup sounds dull, as if all mastering/production was stripped from it.
A single mono source will always be a lot less enjoyable than a decent stereo image. However "dull" is often a reaction to a sound which is more accurate: a smoother frequency response and lower distortion.
Badge
The song in question is 'Upward with the 45 degress' by Julian Cope, the song has a quiet intro, semi-acoustic voice, a guitar and a bass. On all other speakers i've listened the voice is clearly surrounded in the dynamics of a Hall. On the Play:1 it sounds like it is performed inside a wardrobe.
PLAY:1 will make a very decent attempt, especially if Trueplay-tuned, but I'm not sure how you could fully judge the acoustics of the recording environment based on a single mono speaker.
Badge
That i considered as well, i don't see how i could get a second speaker, then trade them both in if sound quality remains unsatisfactory. I assumed the playback would 'rework' the audio to sound welll on a mono speaker.
I assumed the playback would 'rework' the audio to sound welll on a mono speaker.
'Rework'? Nothing can alter the fact that a single PLAY:1 is effectively a point source, playing the sum of the L and R channels. Comparing it with a stereo setup of any description is hardly apples-for-apples.

As for buying a second speaker as a trial, Sonos offer a 100-day refund policy.
Badge
I'm not an audiofile but failing to hear reverb (or a hall effect) on a voice, that does not require stereo at all.
Whatever. I suggest you return it.
Badge
What you mean ? Am i right the Hall effect should be noticeable on a mono speaker ? I intended on buying second speaker but now i'm seriously doubting that decision.
Hall effect? What?
I don't think you can get better sound from anything pricier than the Linkwitz LX521s, at about $5K per pair, plus some relatively inexpensive ATI amplifiers to drive them. They are larger than most people will want to have in the living room; a pair of Play:5s will sound almost as good, and are far more wife-friendly.

So not as good, then.... And they're only $5k per pair....

You seem still to be under the delusion that a $40K pair of speakers will sound better than a well designed $5K pair. They may well sound different, but "better" is highly subjective when it comes to speakers. In double blind testing, I have little doubt that a pair of Play:5s will best many much more expensive designs, particularly "boutique" designs, which are often highly colored. In objective tests, I'm certain the Play:5s will outperform many far pricier designs. Sonos is employing engineering techniques that are well out of reach for any small speaker company. Sonos has an anechoic chamber, for example, that even the large Canadian speaker companies can't afford, and rely on taxpayers to fund for them.
Badge
What else can i say, the guy sounds like he's singing in a church or a large hallway, or a damn cave even. I don't hear it on the Play:1.
Why would I want it to sound like that?
Badge
You're obviously not the person to grasp what i've posted.
In double blind testing, I have little doubt that a pair of Play:5s will best many much more expensive designs, particularly "boutique" designs, which are often highly colored.

Do you have actual evidence of this? Not your belief, but links to papers detailing the evidence including testing methodology?