Answered

what yo do with outdated speakers

• 22 October 2022
  • 13 replies

What should I do with Sonos Five gen 1 speakers ?   I purchased new gen speakers and not sure what to do with the old ones 

icon

Best answer by jgatie 22 October 2022, 19:31

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

You can give them away, take them to a recycling center, or contact Sonos for a shipping label and Sonos will recycle them for you.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

What should I do with Sonos Five gen 1 speakers ?   I purchased new gen speakers and not sure what to do with the old ones 

What’s wrong with the old outdated Five gen1’s?

In terms of being able to play music, there is nothing “wrong” with the older speakers, Unfortunately, they cannot be part of a system that includes recently introduced product. If you want to continue with the older units, they must be controlled separately with the S1 application and the newer models must be controlled with the S2 application. These are two independent systems and Rooms cannot be Grouped between S1 and S2 in order to play the same music.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Can you keep both S1 & S2 apps and use the S1 on the older Fives gen1’s and use the S2 app for the newer Fives? How many Sonos Fives owners out there that still use their S1 app but have other Sonos speakers that require using the S2 app? I don’t have any older Sonos products that require the S1 app. I can understand their frustrations. I mean the older outdated Sonos products are probably what, 5+ years old and they are unable to use them in their system because of a new app? This doesn’t sound right. 

S1 devices are at least 7 years old, most were designed and last sold in the ‘00 years.

Yes, there are people who run both S1 and S2 systems in their home. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Keep and use in a different room or area. Otherwise you can sell it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Give them to me, I’ll find a good use for them.

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

I sold my Play 5s for pretty decent money. People still want them. 

Badge

I have a pair of Fives in storage. There was way too much hassle running the fives on S1 with the rest of my system on S2. I know many didn't have issues, but I had quite a few. I originally got the Fives for free through a friends and family thing/BETA testing thing at SONOS, SO I don't feel too bad.

I’ll find a use for them, yet...

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Just to stop any confusion: Five is de name of the current (up to date) speakers. The speakers mentioned here are Play 5 (gen 1)'s. They are S1 only.

Its a shame that S2 can’t run Gen 1 speakers 

Its a shame that S2 can’t run Gen 1 speakers 

You have it backwards.  It’s not that S2 can’t run Gen 1 units, it’s Gen 1 units that can’t run S2, therefore they can’t talk to modern units running S2.  Matter of fact, anything running S1 can’t talk to units made after the split because S1 has no idea what they are because they didn’t exist when S1 was split.