Answered

What Size are the SONOS Play:5 divers ?

Badge
Can someone please tell me how big are the three woofers and three tweeters in the Sonos Play:5 second generation. With size I mean like 4" inch or 5" inch ?
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 28 March 2018, 17:29

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

54 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5
If Sonos told you, they would have to kill you and then you wouldn’t be able to enjoy your Play 5’s. If you shine a light in there, they look to be around the 3” range.
Badge
If Sonos told you, they would have to kill you and then you wouldn’t be able to enjoy your Play 5’s. If you shine a light in there, they look to be around the 3” range.

Do you think you are some James Bond or Tom Cruise of Mission Impossible ?? If you cannot give straight answers don't talk rubbish !!
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
Don’t you think if Sonos WANTED you to know they would make it clear? They don’t want you to know, so you won’t ever know. And knowing is half the battle.
Badge
Don’t you think if Sonos WANTED you to know they would make it clear? They don’t want you to know, so you won’t ever know. And knowing is half the battle.

I wrote to SONOS they have got back to me saying that the woofer is 10 CMS horizontally and 2 tweeters are 20 MM and one tweeter is 23 MM. Now I wanted to know how much would be the woofer vertically in size if it is 10 CMS horizontally which is about 4" inch but I wanna know how much would it be vertically also the woofer ? Generally when speaker companies say that there speaker has a woofer which is 5.25" inch is it generally taken for horizontally ? What is the trend in the audio industry ? is it for given, that when audio companies say they have a 5" inch woofer it is supposed to be taken horizontally only ?
Userlevel 7
Hi Augustya

You are stressing over the wrong things. Your two topics:

What Size are the Play 5 drivers?

At the end of the day it's a moot point. The size of the driver is not the only criteria considered when designing a speaker. There's materials used, DAC's, Magnets, Cross-over point, enclosure, sine wave and the list goes on. What you should be concerned with (assuming you know what you're listening for) is how the speaker sounds in comparison to other speakers you may have heard. At a particular affordable price point that's all that matters. Have you ever heard the phrase..."it's comes in a small package, but packs a big punch!"

Sonos Play 5 and Sub will it live-up to my Expectations:
That's like asking will you like Apple Pie! Listening to a speaker is just as subjective as taste. Only you can make the final decision as to what you like or don't like. Sure there are many in this community including myself who will tell you that Sonos speakers sound great. However, the majority who say such have been listening to music over a variety of speakers and have a general understanding of what makes a general baseline by which to judge speakers. But again at the end-of-the-day it will still come down to your personal preference.

In conclusion, if you don't "Get" what I've written...then there's no amount of a advice in this forum that will help you decide. Good luck and Cheers!
Why does it matter? And you do realise that your entire history of past conversations is there for all to see very easily?
Badge
Why does it matter? And you do realise that your entire history of past conversations is there for all to see very easily?

And going by that very past history even you do know and realize that none of your comments has actually helped me except you just giving me general advice that I should not try and know what I am trying to find out ! So you would be better staying way from this !!
Unless you better understand what you call Law of Sound - whatever on earth that is - no one can help you with your rubbish.
Badge
Unless you better understand what you call Law of Sound - whatever on earth that is - no one can help you with your rubbish.

Dont want you to be answering on this, Because your comments and blabbering is just useless !! So you better stay away from this. IGNORED !!
Badge
Hi Augustya

At the end of the day it's a moot point. The size of the driver is not the only criteria considered when designing a speaker. There's materials used, DAC's, Magnets, Cross-over point, enclosure, sine wave and the list goes on. What you should be concerned with (assuming you know what you're listening for) is how the speaker sounds in comparison to other speakers you may have heard. At a particular affordable price point that's all that matters. Have you ever heard the phrase..."it's comes in a small package, but packs a big punch!"

That's like asking will you like Apple Pie! Listening to a speaker is just as subjective as taste. Only you can make the final decision as to what you like or don't like. Sure there are many in this community including myself who will tell you that Sonos speakers sound great. However, the majority who say such have been listening to music over a variety of speakers and have a general understanding of what makes a general baseline by which to judge speakers. But again at the end-of-the-day it will still come down to your personal preference.

In conclusion, if you don't "Get" what I've written...then there's no amount of a advice in this forum that will help you decide. Good luck and Cheers!

I think I am being misquoted, misunderstood, mis-interpreted here, so I think this requires a detailed description of the dilemma I am in, and why I am finding it difficult to take a decision. Firstly I am not in the U.S I am in India, Sonos is not officially available in India, some sellers on ebay and amazon do sell it here, but there is no service, no product information no nothing. Sonos is not officially doing any Business in India. One has to just keep a blind faith and buy it from these guys if someone is interested. Secondly I do know and understand that sound is a relative thing, and it varies according to individual ears, and taste.

Now being in India, here customer’s do not have the privilege (Disadvantages of being in a growing economy and not a fully developed one)of buying a product trying it for some days and then returning it back for all their money refunded back, with no questions asked !! This kind of benevolent attitude just does not exist here in India, Once a customer buys a product he does not get a refund, come what may unless the product is faulty. So people who have been suggesting here that why don’t give it a try, listen it for some days see if it suits your requirement and take a decision to whether keep it or return it based on your liking, that kind of possibility is completely ruled out in my case. Now someone here tell me how do I take just a blind decision without having an opportunity to listen it thoroughly. How do I just blindly blow away $500 USD infact in Indian Currency it is a lot higher, Does any customer make a blind buy ? especially if it is something like a speaker where you have to listen it to find out if it suits your requirement or not ? So in this kind of scenario where listening a demo of the speakers is not possible, my conscious brain tells me that the only way I can further make a decision is going by the Specs compare it with the current product that I have and see it exceeds the specs of my current product. Now to my utter disappointment Sonos is one unique company in this world which for some god knows reason doesn’t want to publish its driver details. Yeah…Yeah…I know it is not correct representation of sound and blah…blah...But my point is let the consumer decide what is right and wrong for him, do not impose your philosophy on them !! So that is the reason I keep asking for these details and people think that I am trying to be a pointless user. It is out of no choice that I have to dive into all these or else how do I make a decision ?? Ok, I just would like to mention here because someone would then say, I guess you have a difficult situation and choice to make, you should not buy this product at all if that is the case what you are describing, So I did get a chance to listen to the SONOS Play:5 in one of the Apple Store in Berlin, it was for a very brief moment, and I thought it had a good BASS which is what I am looking out for. But it was just a casual listening that I had. So it did invoke that interest in me, but my gut feeling said at that moment,it requires a more thorough listening to be able to make a decision, and at that moment in an Apple Store the Apple store guys don’t let you play the way you want, they have their own thing about oh you might just disturb the other customers and blah…blah..so please don’t crank up the volume and all that. Now if all the experts here can suggest an solution in this situation. I would appreciate all the thinking brains here and appreciate their recommendation skills. 🙂
Lol. Unfortunately for all of us, there isn't a way for the rest of us to ignore your rubbish. Minus the caps.
PS: But thank you for deleting your latest long and extremely ill considered post made here.
Badge
Lol. Unfortunately for all of us, there isn't a way for the rest of us to ignore you. Minus the caps.

I think people like you who act as if they are a representative of this place, When you say "US" when actually what you do is just utter crap. It would do a big favour to people coming here to be able to Ignore you and just shut your trap. So they are saved from the unwanted nuisance and the pointless posts that you add to the forum.
Badge
Hi Augustya

Since my earlier post was not posted I am posting this with a new user name.

I think I am being misquoted, misunderstood, mis-interpreted here, so I think this requires a detailed description of the dilemma I am in, and why I am finding it difficult to take a decision. Firstly I am not in the U.S I am in India, Sonos is not officially available in India, some sellers on ebay and amazon do sell it here, but there is no service, no product information no nothing. Sonos is not officially doing any Business in India. One has to just keep a blind faith and buy it from these guys if someone is interested. Secondly I do know and understand that sound is a relative thing, and it varies according to individual ears, and taste.

Now being in India, here customer’s do not have the privilege (Disadvantages of being in a growing economy and not a fully developed one)of buying a product trying it for some days and then returning it back for all their money refunded back, with no questions asked !! This kind of benevolent attitude just does not exist here in India, Once a customer buys a product he does not get a refund, come what may unless the product is faulty. So people who have been suggesting here that why don’t give it a try, listen it for some days see if it suits your requirement and take a decision to whether keep it or return it based on your liking, that kind of possibility is completely ruled out in my case. Now someone here tell me how do I take just a blind decision without having an opportunity to listen it thoroughly. How do I just blindly blow away $500 USD infact in Indian Currency it is a lot higher, Does any customer make a blind buy ? especially if it is something like a speaker where you have to listen it to find out if it suits your requirement or not ? So in this kind of scenario where listening a demo of the speakers is not possible, my conscious brain tells me that the only way I can further make a decision is going by the Specs compare it with the current product that I have and see it exceeds the specs of my current product. Now to my utter disappointment Sonos is one unique company in this world which for some god knows reason doesn’t want to publish its driver details. Yeah…Yeah…I know it is not correct representation of sound and blah…blah...But my point is let the consumer decide what is right and wrong for him, do not impose your philosophy on them !! So that is the reason I keep asking for these details and people think that I am trying to be a pointless user. It is out of no choice that I have to dive into all these or else how do I make a decision ?? Ok, I just would like to mention here because someone would then say, I guess you have a difficult situation and choice to make, you should not buy this product at all if that is the case what you are describing, So I did get a chance to listen to the SONOS Play:5 in one of the Apple Store in Berlin, it was for a very brief moment, and I thought it had a good BASS which is what I am looking out for. But it was just a casual listening that I had. So it did invoke that interest in me, but my gut feeling told me it would require a more thorough listening to be able to make a decision, and at that moment in an Apple Store the Apple store guys don’t let you play the way you want, they have their own thing about oh you might just disturb the other customers and blah…blah..so please don’t crank up the volume and all that. Now if all the experts here can suggest an solution in this situation. I would appreciate all the thinking brains here and appreciate their recommendation skills. 🙂

Since my earlier post was not posted I am posting this with a new user name.

And here I was thinking that we have been spared this output via second thoughts by you. My bad.
Badge

And here I was thinking that we have been spared this output via second thoughts by you. My bad.

This is was not for you ! You sound like a pest ! Are you a scumbag who after being humiliated so many times just is unaware of the embarrassment he is facing !!
No, I just enjoy winding you up to see what more nonsense comes up in your second thread that is just like your first in terms of nonsensical content. And how is the sound from the play 5 and the Sub that you claim to have at home? Open up the 5 unit, get a measuring tape and answer your titled question by taking some effort.:D
Badge
No, I just enjoy winding you up to see what more nonsense comes up in your second thread that is just like your first in terms of nonsensical content. And how is the sound from the play 5 and the Sub that you claim to have at home? Open up the 5 unit, get a measuring tape and answer your titled question by taking some effort.:D

Either you are on a dope ! Or you need a medical check up ! Did your silly brain even comprehend and read properly what I have been posting ?? I do not have a Sonos yet. I want to buy one and hence the questions ! I think what you need to get done is get your brain opened up from a Dr and get your IQ and intelligence level measured up by some Dr. That is what you need to do on an immediate basis !! 😉
I am enjoying this immensely; and I am also serving the useful purpose of letting other posters that have patiently replied to your nonsense on two threads now, that they can better use their time answering questions from other people with real issues and/or intelligent questions about Sonos. Replying to you is just time wasted in feeding a troll. If you know what that means.

And by your admission above, you are also admitting that what you have written in your born again ( seriously?!) profile about owning the 5 and the Sub is a lie.

Time to be born a third time and open another thread: ROFL. Might be a good idea to not lie there about Sonos products that you own. Or don't own, more accurately.
Badge
I am enjoying this immensely; and I am also serving the useful purpose of letting other posters that have patiently replied to your nonsense on two threads now, that they can better use their time answering questions from other people with real issues and/or intelligent questions about Sonos. Replying to you is just time wasted in feeding a troll. If you know what that means.

And by your admission above, you are also admitting that what you have written in your born again ( seriously?!) profile about owning the 5 and the Sub is a lie.

Time to be born a third time and open another thread: ROFL. Might be a good idea to not lie there about Sonos products that you own. Or don't own, more accurately.

You bet ! You are enjoying this immensely ! Being ripped apart ! Being humiliated ! Well sure ! let other posters be witness to your mockery ! I do hope other posters here are not buffoons and idiot like you are ! And can give an unbiased opinion and not be blndfolded by this brand because it is a Sonos forum ! Sure it is not your intelligence level to be able to understand what intelligent talk the other person is having ! It is way out of your league ! I can very well understand how did you reach to that post count you have ! By trolling yourself ! So talk sense and not some crap that you have been doing here !

Now being in India

Being an Indian myself, this is the only part of your nonsense that makes me cringe.
The rest is priceless entertainment. Carry on Doctor and unravel completely. But at least have the wit of erasing the false claim of owning Sonos units.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The Sonos Play 5 (Gen 1 and Gen 2) are very heavily reviewed both by "professional" and "amateur" reviewers on the web.

My suggestion would be that you buy the Play 5 if it's functionality in all other respects meets your needs as it is most likely that you will be more than happy. Anything beyond that is pure speculation and totally down to your own perception of the Play 5 performance in your home. No matter how much information you can obtain about the construction of the unit is going to help you make an informed decision, in fact I think it will just make it harder.
Most thinking people do research before making a major purpose. Unfortunately, the HiFi press has mostly become a mouthpiece for the worst, most nonsensical “audiophile” manufacturers, who feed on fools with money. One of the few that remains somewhat objective is AVSForum. Have a look at their review of the Play:5, with measurements. It’s certainly good enough to satisfy most ears, especially when stereo paired. Driver size is irrelevant.

http://www.avsforum.com/sonos-play5-review/
But Stuart, the man wants to know if the woofer is the same size horizontally as it is vertically...
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi augustya, for some reason your post kept getting flagged as spam. I saved them, but deleted most of the duplicates.

Let's all try to keep thing friendly. There are a bunch of posts here that are against our code of conduct on the board, but for the moment I'm leaving them for the sake of the conversation.

I would like to add that the measurements are largely diameters here, it's made horizontally, but the woofer is circular.

You can see an exploded view of the PLAY:5 without its covering here.

Badge
Hi augustya, for some reason your post kept getting flagged as spam. I saved them, but deleted most of the duplicates.

Let's all try to keep thing friendly. There are a bunch of posts here that are against our code of conduct on the board, but for the moment I'm leaving them for the sake of the conversation.

I would like to add that the measurements are largely diameters here, it's made horizontally, but the woofer is circular.

You can see an exploded view of the PLAY:5 without its covering here.

Thanks Ryan and this would be also the case with Audio Industry as a whole right ? When an audio company publishes that a woofer or a tweeter is some inches, it generally means and generally the industry standard is to refer it to horizontally, diagonally right ?