Answered

What Size are the SONOS Play:5 divers ?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

54 replies

Badge
The Sonos Play 5 (Gen 1 and Gen 2) are very heavily reviewed both by "professional" and "amateur" reviewers on the web.

My suggestion would be that you buy the Play 5 if it's functionality in all other respects meets your needs as it is most likely that you will be more than happy. Anything beyond that is pure speculation and totally down to your own perception of the Play 5 performance in your home. No matter how much information you can obtain about the construction of the unit is going to help you make an informed decision, in fact I think it will just make it harder.

I understand Stuart.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks Ryan and this would be also the case with Audio Industry as a whole right ? When an audio company publishes that a woofer or a tweeter is some inches, it generally means and generally the industry standard is to refer it to horizontally, diagonally right ?

Often times, these measurements are of circular objects, if there's just one dimension, it's the diameter, no matter which point on the circumference you start with, it's the same to the opposite side.

Also, I removed that post of yours above, please keep it friendly here. The community is always more willing to help when we're all being pleasant.
What matters for bass reproduction is the total surface area of the woofers, and their excursion. Three woofers in concert offer the same surface area as one much larger woofer, while keeping the enclosure size minimal. Long excursion, with powerful magnets to keep it under control, allow sufficient movement of air over the entire surface area that the Play:5, per the article I posted, can faithfully reproduce frequencies down to about 30Hz. As the article notes, it shamed some very expensive bookshelf speakers.
Badge

Also, I removed that post of yours above, please keep it friendly here. The community is always more willing to help when we're all being pleasant.

I was genuinely looking out for this info, I did not start it.
Userlevel 7
OK Augustya_born_again

I’m going to let slide the FACT that your NEW Profile states that you OWN a Play 5 and Sub. If true you’ve wasted mine and the time of others as you already know what the sound characteristics are. As such your questions are moot as you can’t return the product (so you state). I’ll address your previous profile wherein you indicate NO ownership of Sonos products…but this is the last you’ll read from me.

So, given all of what you said (and I’m not unsympathetic to your situation) the size of drivers still do not matter. Look at the size of the Sonos Play 5…obviously (and let’s be correct) the surface area of the cones isn’t that great. What makes the Play 5 sound as good as it does is the TECH behind the speaker design.

Although I’m not a fan of Bose_below is an example of their Accoustimass System that some swear by as producing great sound (personal preference). Obviously, the drivers in the speakers aren’t very huge. What makes the Bose work as an adequate DD5.1 sound system (for some) is the TECH behind the speakers_not the size_discounting the combination sub/processor module.

My point to you in this exercise is to stop worrying about the size of the driver. Thirty to forty years ago when all was analog…driver size was an important aspect. In today’s digital realm the size of the driver is less critical (for home use) as electronics and exotic materials compensate for size.

To go out on a limb_you’d be quite impressed with two Play 5’s in stereo pair and even more so when adding a sub. Truth…many will say that a sub isn’t necessary with two Play 5’s in stereo pair (personal preference). By contrast two Play:1’s or Sonos One’s in stereo pair with Sub out-shine a single Play 5! FYI, you would not purchase a single Play 5 and sub together as their is really no enhancement in sound reproduction.

All said you must consider the fact that Sonos does not support BT. Sonos rely’s on a wireless system which means (even in Boost mode) your internet and Wi-Fi must be up to snuff. So in actuality there may be other options wireless and/or wired you may want to look at. Sonos speakers_even though they deliver impressive sound_are not always the best option.

In your case if you want Sonos you’ll have to base your decision on the numerous independent reviews available and/or what the majority say in this forum. Full disclosure_you’ll be hard pressed to find negative reviews that out-weigh the positive. IMO most negative reviews are due to user error, lack of understanding and/or home environmental issues. I’ll also add_it doesn’t hurt to have some understanding of networking, Wi-Fi, the internet and how Apps work. If one doesn’t have the knowledge I suggest they enlist the aid of someone who does, view the various tutorials on the Sonos website and/ or post in this forum.

I hope this answers your questions (or points you in the right direction) as I have nothing else to offer. Good Luck and Cheers!

Badge
Would a single play:5 and one sub would be an ideal setup and be sufficient or two Play:5 and a Sub would be ideal ! If I want some ground shaking Bass !
I would go for the two PLAY:5s for stereo separation, and the SUB to kick the bass.
Userlevel 7
Would a single play:5 and one sub would be an ideal setup and be sufficient or two Play:5 and a Sub would be ideal ! If I want some ground shaking Bass !

You've got to read more carefully and pay attention. See your answer below that was in my last post :P

You've got to read more carefully and pay attention. See your answer below that was in my last post :P

All of this discussed by the OP/jgatie in his only other thread here just a few months ago: https://en.community.sonos.com/wireless-speakers-228992/sonos-play-5-sonos-sub-will-it-live-up-to-my-expectation-6794590/index1.html
Badge
Hi augustya,
Let's all try to keep thing friendly. There are a bunch of posts here that are against our code of conduct on the board

Hi Ryan,

Just like you left a comment for me yesterday to keep it friendly and just like I mentioned that I am seeking some info here. But this guy who I have addressed as "PEST" who has been constantly playing to the audience here, trying to dissuade them from not participating in this and is constantly bugging, poking here even when his contribution to the info I am looking for has added zilch value. If I believe you are the moderator as you appear to be. I expect you to leave a comment for this "PEST" aswell.Since he is playing to the audience here, and trying to influence others obviously I mean in a negative manner. I would appreciate if you can sort this out being a moderator.
First it was watts, now inches? This guy is really into measuring things. :P

However, in an attempt to placate the nonsense, I have the answer: 42

/thread_over
Badge
Ok, never have I ever felt ever in my life which I am made to feel now, as if it is Blasphemy !! to ask all these about SONOS. As if this is gonna be the impeachment bill that the senate is gonna pass against the President ! Sonos is ok in giving me the Size of the Woofer ! That is not a forbidden word ! I can atleast give some point to SONOS for being atleast not secretive for revealing that ! lol ! 😃
Sigh.
Ok, never have I ever felt ever in my life which I am made to feel now, as if it is Blasphemy !! to ask all these about SONOS. As if this is gonna be the impeachment bill that the senate is gonna pass against the President ! Sonos is ok in giving me the Size of the Woofer ! That is not a forbidden word ! I can atleast give some point to SONOS for being atleast not secretive for revealing that ! lol ! :D

And pray tell, how exactly is the "Size of the Woofer" going to help you decide to buy something (which you claim you already own)?
Lol. And the answer as to size is in the very first reply in this thread, that the OP shot down as "rubbish". Not understanding the associated humour in the answer, it would appear.
Userlevel 7
@ jgatie and Kumar

I have a hearing in front of the Senate Hearing Committee on Loud Noise Created by Overly Large Speaker Components. Can you guys represent me?:8
Can you guys represent me?:8
Nahh...I have been impeached by the Born again:-)). Moderator Ryan is Chairman of next steps.
Userlevel 7
Cool video🆒
Badge
The "PEST" is again all over here ! We could do with some spraying of pesticide here ! For sure !!
Userlevel 7
You guys are killing me :):):):):):):D:D:D:D;););););)

I think it's time the moderators shut this tread down. :? JMO 🆒
Or move on. The man has become an awful bore.
Badge
You guys are killing me :):):):):):):D:D:D:D;););););)

I think it's time the moderators shut this tread down. :? JMO 🆒

This could have been an useful thread for me had it not been trespassed by the "PEST"

This could have been an useful thread for me had it not been trespassed by the "PEST"

I ask again:

How exactly is the "Size of the Woofer" going to help you decide to buy something (which you claim you already own)?

You keep refusing to answer this simple question, nor are you willing to explain why you need purchasing information on something you already own.
Badge

How exactly is the "Size of the Woofer" going to help you decide to buy something (which you claim you already own)

You keep refusing to answer this simple question, nor are you willing to explain why you need purchasing information on something you already own.

No ! I don't own it yet ! I am contemplating my options still !