Answered

What are people using for USB C charger for Sonos Move?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I asked this question over in the sonos reddit forum and others are having same issues so thought I would bring over here.

What are people using for their usb charger for the Sonos move? I attempted to use my MacBook pros charger but it didn’t work. I have the 60watt brick but from what I read it should be able to still work.

So then I read it might be the cord as they have chips in them and knowing Apple they locked their cord down. So I bought an anker power line 3.1 usb c cable and tried it with the MacBook brick again and it still didn’t work.

So before I keep buying and returning curious if anyone has had success with certain chargers with the move. Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 24 October 2019, 22:02

View original

143 replies

Post Script:  I contacted Sonos support.  They quickly diagnosed a fault in the speaker and immediately began the process of replacing it.  Thanks to Sonos for that responsive support.

Post Post Script:  The process of receiving the replacement speaker was, shall we say, less than ideal.  Although Sonos offers a way to first get the replacement speaker, then send back the defective speaker, because my credit card billing address is different than my mailing address, they were confounded.  Accordingly, I had to send back the bad one and wait to get the replacement.  

Most frustrating was that the replacement speaker has exactly the same issue as the first.  I am unable to charge it using a 96 watt USB-C PD Charger that successfully charges up my MacBook Pro.  This time, customer service just says to use a different charger.  Of course, they will not provide a list of chargers that they have tested and which are know to work successfully.  This is frustrating, given that this is not an inexpensive product, and the company boasts about it’s technological prowess.  I consider this experience unsatisfactory so far.

@MiSkyPig 
There are some compatible power adapters mentioned in this thread (and others) which users say they have tried and do work, such as this one, which I have just quickly chosen at random…
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-USB-C-Super-Charging-Charger/dp/B07VG9JZVG

Maybe look through the suggestions and purchase one of those, at least you know it is likely going to work, based on the information supplied by a member of the community.

Thank you for your comments.  Although I can search through the user comments, I continue to find it unsatisfactory that the manufacturer seems unwilling to provide helpful information to its customers.  Customers have been troubled by this issue for quite some time.  Why not publish a list of products known to work?  Given all of the comments in this forum, and the similar comments in the related topics, this issue appears to be giving many customers an unsatisfactory experience.  

Given that my MacBook charger has not worked, in spite of appearing to meet the published specifications, I tried to power the Move from another power supply that I use for my MacBook, my OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock.  It’s rated at 85 watts and meets the USB PD specifications.  Much to my amazement, it appeared to successfully power & charge the Move!  After that small success, I again tried my 95 Watt MacBook power supply, the same power supply that did not power the speaker yesterday.  I plugged it in as before, and was surprised that now it works, as well!  It quickly brought the Move up to 100% charge.

So . . .why did this same power supply not work yesterday, and it now works today?  I used the very same cords, the same power supply, the same everything.  This should not be magic.  What changed? 

Thank you for your comments.  Although I can search through the user comments, I continue to find it unsatisfactory that the manufacturer seems unwilling to provide helpful information to its customers.  Customers have been troubled by this issue for quite some time.  Why not publish a list of products known to work?  Given all of the comments in this forum, and the similar comments in the related topics, this issue appears to be giving many customers an unsatisfactory experience.  

Given that my MacBook charger has not worked, in spite of appearing to meet the published specifications, I tried to power the Move from another power supply that I use for my MacBook, my OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock.  It’s rated at 85 watts and meets the USB PD specifications.  Much to my amazement, it appeared to successfully power & charge the Move!  After that small success, I again tried my 95 Watt MacBook power supply, the same power supply that did not power the speaker yesterday.  I plugged it in as before, and was surprised that now it works, as well!  It quickly brought the Move up to 100% charge.

So . . .why did this same power supply not work yesterday, and it now works today?  I used the very same cords, the same power supply, the same everything.  This should not be magic.  What changed? 

No company is going to take on the liability of recommending 3rd party electronics.  They recommend their products. Period.  If you don't want to buy their product, you are on your own.

The mystery continues.  I unplugged my Move and played it for a while to discharge it to about 75%.  Then, I plugged it into the MacBook power supply, the same one that worked earlier today.  Only this time, the Move did not charge.  It continued to discharge.  Then, I plugged the Move into my OWC Thunderbolt dock and, as before, it started charging. I only let it charge for a few seconds, then unplugged it and plugged in the MacBook charger.  This time, the Move responded to the MacBook charger and began charging.  So it appears that the Move needs some other charger to change something in order to allow the MacBook charger to work.  What’s going on here?  Is there something about the way the Move negotiates the Power Delivery protocol that’s unusual? What is it about being exposed to charger B that allows it to suddenly work with charger A, that it wouldn’t work with otherwise?  This doesn’t seem to be the way a reliable high-end product should work.

The mystery continues.  I unplugged my Move and played it for a while to discharge it to about 75%.  Then, I plugged it into the MacBook power supply, the same one that worked earlier today.  Only this time, the Move did not charge.  It continued to discharge.  Then, I plugged the Move into my OWC Thunderbolt dock and, as before, it started charging. I only let it charge for a few seconds, then unplugged it and plugged in the MacBook charger.  This time, the Move responded to the MacBook charger and began charging.  So it appears that the Move needs some other charger to change something in order to allow the MacBook charger to work.  What’s going on here?  Is there something about the way the Move negotiates the Power Delivery protocol that’s unusual? What is it about being exposed to charger B that allows it to suddenly work with charger A, that it wouldn’t work with otherwise?  This doesn’t seem to be the way a reliable high-end product should work.

Most probably some kind of compatibility issue perhaps? Such things can occasionally happen between devices from different manufacturers, as I’m sure we all may realise.

Just one of those unfortunate anomalies, I guess. It’s not like Sonos, or the charger manufacturer, have ever tested their compatibility and each claimed it’s an officially supported product.

I would perhaps still choose to go with one of the other chargers mentioned in the thread that users suggest will work with the Move, without issue.

Did anybody try this charger. Based on specs it should work. I have ordered it and it should be here in a week. 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-45-w-8-ft-usb-c-wall-charger-black/6410663.p?skuId=6410663

Badge

I am not able to charge with the Apple 85W MacBook Pro charger either.  I believe there is something particular about the Apple Charger SONOS Move.  It is really stupid though, because I can use the same Apple Charger to charger any USB-C PC laptop (Dell, Lenovo, HP), Android phones, OTHER portable speakers, portable batteries, iPads (ones with USB-C).   It’s hard to imagine nobody in SONOS testing team has access to an Apple charger (can’t they just walk a Move speaker over to marketing?). 

The following chargers have worked well for me, and I use all of these with my Move on a regular basis:

DELL 65W USB-C Charger (US AC Adapter). This came with a recent Dell Latitude laptop

Lenovo 65W USB-C Charger (US AC Adapter). This came with a 2019 Yogi 9i 14”

(Both of the above charger ship with a variety of models for DELL or Lenovo)

Lenovo 65W USB-C DC Travel Adapter (which buy the way is the best high-power automotive charger I have ever used). (Lenovo Part Number: 40AK0065WW).  If you have a variety of USB-C things and spend time in cars, get this.

Baseus 65W GaN3 USB C AC Charger with USB-C, USB-A and two AC outlets (Amazon ASIN: B09HBJ1Z96)  This charger works with my MacBook, Yoga, iPad and Android phone (not all the same time).  It will reliably charge and run the SONOS MOVE.

Unable to charge with MacBook charger 61W. That is unacceptable.

I’d agree, it does seem out of the realm of possibility. Have you tried to call Sonos Support directly to discuss it?

Unable to charge with MacBook charger 61W. That is unacceptable.

I would check that the charger supports USB ‘Power Delivery’ (Power Direct) v2 or v3 and has the following 45w power-output at either 20v x 2.25A -or- 15v x 3A. There are some lesser 36w PD chargers that may work too at 12v x 3A, but will be slower (obviously).

@YtJ 
This power adapter/charger (link below) certainly works, as I used to have this one for my Sonos Move when out and about ‘glamping’, at least that’s until my Son ‘borrowed’ it.🤷‍♂️
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08CVFMGL1

It should charge two Moves at the same time, but I never did try it with two, but it can charge an iPhone XR or an iPad Pro at the same time as charging a Move, which I found useful.

Other products that are similar, and maybe cheaper etc; are also available on Amazon and elsewhere online, but look for those that are certified and support PD and output the 45w as mentioned earlier.

I purchased the Sonos c cable from Sonos directly, it works on my roam and no matter what USB adapter I use it will not power my Move. I have also tried other cables and USB outlets and the Move will not charge using C port. the move is brand new too. I am at my wits end trying to get it to do this basic thing and have read so many posts here that my head is spinning but still no luck.  Why can Sonos not just supply a suitable cable for this device and why is it different from their other portable units?

It’s not a cable issue, it’s what the cable is plugged in to. Well, I suppose it’s possible to have a faulty cable, but what we’re all referring to in this thread is the power of the device plugged in to the wall that the USB C cable is plugged in to. 

If you think you may have a faulty USB C cable, feel free to try another one from somewhere else. While the chances are slim that the cable is faulty, they are by no means zero. 

I purchased the Sonos c cable from Sonos directly, it works on my roam and no matter what USB adapter I use it will not power my Move. I have also tried other cables and USB outlets and the Move will not charge using C port. the move is brand new too. I am at my wits end trying to get it to do this basic thing and have read so many posts here that my head is spinning but still no luck.  Why can Sonos not just supply a suitable cable for this device and why is it different from their other portable units?

If it may perhaps help, I purchased this adapter and it ‘happily’ charges both the Move and Roam speakers…

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08CVFMGL1

For anyone finding this thread years later (April '23), this 12V car charger from Amazon is working. I confirmed in Sonos app that the Move is charging. 

WOTOBEUS 120W USB C Car Charger Adapter

Model SC-002CCA/PD-209PT

https://www.amazon.com/Charger-WOTOBEUS-Charging-Cigarette-S21Ultra/dp/B09GJTF54Z

Badge

I have a Sonos Move (1st Generation) and I have perfect success charging it with the following adapters:

• Dell 65 W Laptop USB-C Charger (ASIN: ‎B09GHV6G55)
  • Satechi 108W USB C PD Desktop Charger (ASIN: B082TL2J9D )
  • Satechi 165W USB C 4-Port PD GaN Charger (ASIN: B09PMDZWZ6)

If you have a PC laptop, try it’s USB-C power supply. Check that the power is 65W or more.  The Satechi or similar solutions are great for travel or coffee shop.

DELL USB-C Power Brick

Satechi USB-C 4-port Power Supply: