Answered

What are people using for USB C charger for Sonos Move?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I asked this question over in the sonos reddit forum and others are having same issues so thought I would bring over here.

What are people using for their usb charger for the Sonos move? I attempted to use my MacBook pros charger but it didn’t work. I have the 60watt brick but from what I read it should be able to still work.

So then I read it might be the cord as they have chips in them and knowing Apple they locked their cord down. So I bought an anker power line 3.1 usb c cable and tried it with the MacBook brick again and it still didn’t work.

So before I keep buying and returning curious if anyone has had success with certain chargers with the move. Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 24 October 2019, 22:02

View original

143 replies

Sonos forgot to tell Move users about charging without the base!!!: The charger must provide 45 watts through the USB-C… otherwise it will not charge.  This fact is found NOWHERE in Sonos’ instructions, and barely findable in troubleshooting.  I ordered a Samsung 45 watt USB-C charger from Amazon; it charges now.

Badge

Sonos forgot to tell Move users about charging without the base!!!: 

This is not true.

Here:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3640?language=en_US

is stated: “Charging via USB-C may have varying speeds depending on the wattage of the charger. We recommend using a 45 watt USB-C PD charger, outputting a minimum of 20V/2.25A or 12V/3A.” but this is a recommendation. Unfortunately not even all 45W USB-C PD chargers can charge the Move. 

I finally figured out how to charge the damn thing

need 2 items -- 

- 45w PD power bank (I use Anker 26800 45W PD)

- USB c to USB c cable (I use Apple OEM)

while Sonos move is off … plug in USB c cable

turn on device

then plug other end of USB c cable into PD power bank

it should indicate it's charging if connected on WiFi on Sonos app

enjoy!

Badge

I can confirm that Move is charging with a Samsung EP-TA845XBEGWW USB-C PD 45W charger with the included cable. No need to follow a special sequence. Just plug the charger anytime you want.

I can confirm that Move is charging with a Samsung EP-TA845XBEGWW USB-C PD 45W charger with the included cable. No need to follow a special sequence. Just plug the charger anytime you want.

we're discussing portable power charging on the go

if we're talking about wall charger … then I'm using RAVPower 61W USB C Charger[GaN Tech] Type C Wall Charger

it charges fine as well … no special sequence

ravpower RP-PB159 power bank with 45w power delivery charges the Move on-the-go

35$ on amzn

no special sequence

From the local Sonos seller, I have the information that the following PD charger is compatible with Sonos.

Samsung EP-TA845

In the mean time I’ve ordered another one that I hope to be compatible too.

https://www.banggood.com/BlitzWolf-BW-PL4-45W-PD-Type-C-USB-Charger-EU-Adapter-With-Power3S-Tech-p-1347712.html

Anyway, is not something expected from a company like Sonos, to count on users to test their own product compatibility. A list of compatible/certified chargers must be presented on their web site.

I purchased the samsung EP-TA845, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. 

Badge

I’ve ordered one model EP-TA845XBEGWW and is working for me all the time, without any specific sequence, with the included USB-c - USB-C cable.

I’ve ordered one model EP-TA845XBEGWW and is working for me all the time, without any specific sequence, with the included USB-c - USB-C cable.

Thanks for your feedback. I've contacted the sonos reseller and I'll visit them to check if i have a faulty device (test the charger on a new sonos device see if it makes any difference).

Badge

I’ve received the 45W PD USB Charger from Blitzwolf (model BW-PL4) with the specifications required by Sonos: 15/3A or 20V/2.25A. Tried with different high quality and short PD cables (5A), but Sonos does not charge. 

At the reseller they let me swap the Move for a new package. Unfortunately the samsung charger EP-TA845 does not work on this new out of the box Sonos. (Did not do the setup and updates yet, will do that after the holidays. See if that helps).

The reseller said that they will contact their account manager at Sonos. See what they have to say about this.

I'll keep you all posted.

I am having the same problem.  None of my chargers work. 

Am trying to my use two Apple chargers - a 96W and 61W - which are both USB PD and both capable of delivering 15V/3A output.  From the website:

“Power supply
USB-C adapters must support one or more of the following output levels: 12V/3A, 15V/3A, 20V/2.25A.”

I have renamed my speaker the SONOS Doorstop, because that is all it is good for.

At the reseller they let me swap the Move for a new package. Unfortunately the samsung charger EP-TA845 does not work on this new out of the box Sonos. (Did not do the setup and updates yet, will do that after the holidays. See if that helps).

The reseller said that they will contact their account manager at Sonos. See what they have to say about this.

I'll keep you all posted.

I setup the new Move at home. Tested the Samsung charger. Unfortunately it did not work. I also swapped the Samsung charger for a new one. Also that did not solve the issue.

So somehow the charger or Move do not match the standard requirements of PD. The only thing I could think about is that I use a 230V charger and asume the (others) who succeded have a 110V Samsung charger?

I'm stil waiting for the resellers answer, I'll keep you posted. Hopefully Sonos can solve it somehow with a firmware update…. let's see where this ends….

Personally I find it a bit of failure of Sonos to sell such a high price speaker, without a working USB-C travel charger in the box…..

Badge

I have no issues at all with my Samsung charger (@230V). Even the Acer Chromebook charger (PD 45W - see one of my older posts) now is working, without doing anything on Sonos side. On the other side, a very popular 45W PD Charger from Blitzwolf does not charge the Sonos. Really strange behavior ... 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I tried this in tye car, charged from 72% to 100% without any issue. 60w over usb-c:

https://www.reseller.vendora.se/satechi/satechi-billaddare-med-pd-1xusb-c-och-1xusb-a-pa-hela-72-watt/?option=3437

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

This one works for me…

RAVPower USB C Charger, 61W Wall Charger PD 3.0 [GaN Tech] Type C Quick Charger, Compatible with iPhone 11 Pro Max, MacBook Pro Air, Ipad Pro 2018, Nintendo Switch https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B083JB6BGL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_-fbuFbANJS0X2

I have no issues at all with my Samsung charger (@230V). Even the Acer Chromebook charger (PD 45W - see one of my older posts) now is working, without doing anything on Sonos side. On the other side, a very popular 45W PD Charger from Blitzwolf does not charge the Sonos. Really strange behavior ... 

Strange indeed that yours working fine and mine isn't. In the end I send back the Samsung charger and requested a refund.

The Lenovo laptop of my girlfriend has a USB-C PD charger (laptop is almost 5 years old) but that charger works!!! Finally I found a charger that works on the Sonos! 

For the ones who are interisted it's this type nr.: Lenovo adlx45ulce2a (45W USB-C PD charger) (see example below). So for the next holiday we will take that charger ;)

From the local reseller I got a ServiceID which I can use to contact Sonos directly. Unfortunately because of the COVID. The Sonos chat's and phone numbers are occupied most of the time.

Anker PowerPort Atom III Slim,  with 65 watt three usb 3.0 and one 45 watt usbc. 45 Watt usbc works with USBC port. After trying all the different chargers in my house including Switch docking charger and samsung 20 Ultra super fast charger. It was the only one that worked. Pretty frustrating in my opinion that not even a 2.5 amp charger won't even slow charge the sonos move? What's the point in 400$ speaker if that's the case. Only had the atom 3 for my bed side charging station and s20 ultra. But it worked while on vacation as of the day I am righting this because I didn't bring the base to it. Little did I know.... A firmware update that should be implemented SONOS!😤 Amazon link below unless you buy a dedicated 45 watt USBC charger. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZCGYP27/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fab_8hyzFb1MDJXYT

Another update about my chargers. After a while I seems to be able to get into chat with Sonos service. Based on the CallID I got from the local reseller, I explained my issues and everything I already tried. They finally gave me some ‘off the record advise’: “Unfortunately i'm not allowed to give you advise about any non-sonos products as a Sonos representative. From a college I understood that he bought a ‘EWENT EW3980’ charger which works with the Sonos move. Purchasing is at you own risk”

In the end I did not order the Ewent charges as I found out that the charger of the Lenovo laptop works as well.

Besides that, I ordered the Nexdock (it's like a screen with keyboard for you phone). This Nexdock is charged by a 45W PD charger. It's from some chinese brand. This charger works also for charging the Sonos, charging my phone, charging my headset and of course the Nexdock. :ok_hand_tone1:

(But I still a bit fustrated that you buy a 400$ speaker. Which do not come with a ‘on the road’ charger, and they do not want to tell you what will work…. )

Another update about my chargers. After a while I seems to be able to get into chat with Sonos service. Based on the CallID I got from the local reseller, I explained my issues and everything I already tried. They finally gave me some ‘off the record advise’: “Unfortunately i'm not allowed to give you advise about any non-sonos products as a Sonos representative. From a college I understood that he bought a ‘EWENT EW3980’ charger which works with the Sonos move. Purchasing is at you own risk”

In the end I did not order the Ewent charges as I found out that the charger of the Lenovo laptop works as well.

Besides that, I ordered the Nexdock (it's like a screen with keyboard for you phone). This Nexdock is charged by a 45W PD charger. It's from some chinese brand. This charger works also for charging the Sonos, charging my phone, charging my headset and of course the Nexdock. :ok_hand_tone1:

(But I still a bit fustrated that you buy a 400$ speaker. Which do not come with a ‘on the road’ charger, and they do not want to tell you what will work…. )

For the Nexdock charger, they use this one:

http://www.xinspower.com/intelligent/product/131.html

I'm thinking of buying the Move and already have a Ravpower Powerbank capable of 60watt USB PD - it sounds like it will likely not charge the Move?

Other Bluetooth speakers tend to output extra power (more volume) when connected to mains power - does the Move do this or does it deliver max power on battery (albeit draining the battery quickly)?

Userlevel 1
Badge

This 87W appear to be working. I tried all the other ones and no luck. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/platinum-95w-8-usb-c-3-port-wall-charger-with-87w-usb-c-power-delivery-for-macbook-ipad-iphone-chromebook-or-usb-c-laptops-white/6371067.p?skuId=6371067

Userlevel 1
Badge

This 87W appear to be working. I tried all the other ones and no luck. 

All. Went form 15% to 100% in just one hour!

Hi All, 

We head away alot in the caravan, has anyone got a recommendation of which type of cigarette adapter would be needed?

Thanks