Answered

True Play using Existing speaker

• 20 July 2022
  • 9 replies

Of course I have an Android so can't use true play but I have a sonos roam which does have true play.   Is it possible to true play my Theatre Room which consists of an Arc, 2 play 5's and a sub with my Roam? 

If not then wouldn't this be an excellent way to true play your equipment?  You figure this would be the next best option for sonos just means more money in their pockets. 

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 20 July 2022, 07:27

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

No, it’s not possible, unfortunately. It’s been a request many times, 

I don't think the auto trueplay on the Roam works the same way as the original trueplay, so I doubt this could be Implenented. But anyway, as Bruce said, it isn't currently possible. 

I know its not possible and they hardware in the roam might limit the feasibility. It seems to me however that Sonos are missing a trick. They have a microphone in the roam which is standardised (their argument against an android solution) so why not use it to benefit us android users.

I sometimes wonder if Sonos regret having invented Trueplay. If they hadn't, everybody would have been as happy with the Sonos sound as they were before Trueplay. 

Android users wouldn't feel neglected, Arc owners wouldn’t be complaining that an update had ruined their sound. All would be well in the world. "If I could turn back time..."

Userlevel 7

I don't think the auto trueplay on the Roam works the same way as the original trueplay, so I doubt this could be Implenented. But anyway, as Bruce said, it isn't currently possible. 

This blog post offers a good explanation on how Trueplay works and briefly mentions the auto-Trueplay capability. Quite lengthy but worth a read.

https://tech-blog.sonos.com/posts/trueplay-spectral-correction/?fbclid=IwAR1FUJgQBM7u8dH2wv3o6Jj9pF9PY94k29RD2IZ0s7KmvUEJv741zJmoRcE

From reading that, auto trueplay only responds to the sound in the immediate vicinity of the product, whereas Trueplay on an iOS device uses it’s accelerometers to ensure you are covering the whole room, whilst processing all the data at the same time. The Trueplay algorithm is probably not capable of being run on the Roam and needs the processing power of the iPhone/iPad to be successful.

The Trueplay algorithm is probably not capable of being run on the Roam and needs the processing power of the iPhone/iPad to be successful.

I was just thinking about the processing required.  There would need to be a new API of sorts created between Roam and your controller.  The Roam needs to be instructed to start tuning and record the audio (storage) and then send that audio to the controller that initiated tuning.  And it looks like tuning also process the data multiple times as it’s collecting data, it would be a bit more complicated.

I think it would be worth the effort, but perhaps not so much for a device that is already loaded with features and on the lower end of prices for Sonos.  And it’s entirely possible the Apple users may want to continue tuning the way they always do, rather than use a Roam, since the iPhone is still required...so no cost savings for Sonos there.

I also don’t think the Roam has the necessary sensors in it to help identify movement in the room in order to assign spatial acoustic data necessary to help the TruePlay algorithm...something all of the Sonos devices are lacking.

The “in the area/environment” that the speaker is in makes more sense, since no movement is involved,  but I don’t think that’s quite the same thing as TruePlay. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

@John B Trueplay is one standout feature other multiroom speaker company's don't offer. It gives an easy to use room correction for everybody and it apparently it is so good , many people can't live without it. See all them Arc owners, who cannot adjust sound on their own. I'm coming from multiple headphones and other multroom speakers, where I kinda did what trueplay does automatically. I ran around the room adjusting and comparing the EQ to have an overall nice sound for my ears and I have years of experience with this…

That said, there should be an iOS independent alternative for all speakers imho. For speakers with microphone why not auto trueplay?

@Mr. T You don't need to cover the whole room actually. With experience you can tune the sound to a specific area in a room and it makes sense when you only listen in this specific place. Manual trueplay is way more precise than autotrueplay.

I agree with @frost44 and do wonder if they could use the microphone from a roam to do to the trueplay recording or let's say release a tiny device of being capable to do such thing.

Userlevel 7

@Mr. T You don't need to cover the whole room actually. With experience you can tune the sound to a specific area in a room and it makes sense when you only listen in this specific place. Manual trueplay is way more precise than autotrueplay.

It was more a figure of speech, that you are required to move around otherwise Trueplay tuning will fail. Unless Trueplay is spying on you it doesn’t know whether you have physically covered the whole room or not.