Answered

System (Play 5, One, Sub) disconnects every week or so

While I love the sound of my Sonos, I’m at wits end with it. Without fail it will lose connectivity to either one set or another. Everything is connected to a single network that is always on. But still, ‘we can’t find your system’, restart everything, restart your router, start the $%#@ over. So every week or two I have to set everything back up. Anyone having this issue and find a fix?

The routine basically ends up with me having to do factory resets and then put the system together again. This will last for anything between a few days and a few weeks.

Would greatly appreciate any help!!

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 25 August 2023, 23:10

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Before we can offer any meaningful help we will need more information about your system and your network. Give model numbers. Refrain from Factory Reset without further consult.

And, in addition to that important data @buzz is asking for, many of us have found solace in setting up reserved IP addresses in our router’s DHCP tables particularly for our Sonos units.

Sonos, of course, may be the most taxing thing on the network, between its constant intercommunications and it’s requesting new IPs at every software update. If your router, like mine, tends to occasionally get ‘lost’ in all of that process, giving it a nudge can substantially help the health of your Sonos system. I used to exhibit much of what your suggesting, but once I set up reserved IP addresses in my router, it became smooth as silk, and I even went back and did similar reservations for the rest of my ‘static’ devices, leaving the ones that come and go to ‘float’. 

Check your router’s manual on how to set these up. It was daunting for the first couple, then I became familiar with the process, and it turned out to be quite simple, and extremely useful, as a ‘good networking’ housekeeping thing. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I had similar issues till setting reserved ip addresses 5+ years ago, as suggested (recommended) on here. Pretty much been running trouble free since then. 

Hi Buzz, thanks for writing. I have:

• 2x Play:5
  • 1x Sub
  • 2x One, Gen 2

It always wants to split the them into two sets (2x Play5 and sub, and the other 2x One. I can pair the sub into either set). I set it up again this morning after resetting everything. My computer couldn’t fine them (70% of the time it can while playing Spotify) but my phone did using the Sonos app. Literally while playing music on the Sonos app via Spotify on my phone, it said it couldn’t find the speakers. The very speakers that were playing music. Unfortunately I let it ‘find’ them and so it stopped and its asking me to reset them again.

I had similar issues till setting reserved ip addresses 5+ years ago, as suggested (recommended) on here. Pretty much been running trouble free since then. 

nik - is there a guide on doing that? do i just need to search on the forum?

thanks a ton.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

nik - is there a guide on doing that? do i just need to search on the forum?

thanks a ton.

You’ll need to check your router’s guide for that. Or tell us what make/model it is and someone here may be able to help. 

Userlevel 7

Hi

I’m late to this party 😊 However, you still haven’t provided information about your network as requested by @buzz. Maybe these specifics will help:

Do you have your own Internet service or are you sharing it via an apartment/community provided service with limited (or no access) to the router/modem? The questions that follow assume you have your own service.

• Is your modem and router provided by your Internet Service Provider (ISP). If so what company/service?
  • If the above is YES...do you have an All-In-One (AIO) router/modem or are the units separate?
  • If you are only using the modem provided by your ISP what brand/model of router do you have?
  • Is your network a Mesh setup (Yes or No)? If YES... how many satellites in addition to the main router are employed?
  • Are you using any type of unit that plugs into an electrical outlet to extend your network?

Please provide as much information as you can.

Hi

I’m late to this party 😊 However, you still haven’t provided information about your network as requested by @buzz. Maybe these specifics will help:

Do you have your own Internet service or are you sharing it via an apartment/community provided service with limited (or no access) to the router/modem? The questions that follow assume you have your own service.

• Is your modem and router provided by your Internet Service Provider (ISP). If so what company/service?
  • If the above is YES...do you have an All-In-One (AIO) router/modem or are the units separate?
  • If you are only using the modem provided by your ISP what brand/model of router do you have?
  • Is your network a Mesh setup (Yes or No)? If YES... how many satellites in addition to the main router are employed?
  • Are you using any type of unit that plugs into an electrical outlet to extend your network?

Please provide as much information as you can.

@AjTrek1 

@buzz 

Home internet service provided by Spectrum

1. Modem and router provided by ISP.
    1. ISP is Spectrum
    2. Modem (standalone) provided by the ISP, model ES2251, DOCSIS 3.1 eMTA
    3. Wireless Router (standalone), from ISP), WiFi 6 Router, SAX1V15
  2. Network is not mesh, only using the above singe wireless router and separate modem
  3. No network extenders
  4. Speakers are all in line-of-sight (I know not necessary, but no hard walls blocking) and within 25’ of wireless router

Thanks for your help all!

The Internet is burning with complaints about Spectrum routers. As a quickie fix, wire one of your speakers to the router. The general consensus on the Internet is to replace Spectrum routers with something more capable. Maybe someone will follow up here with a magic suggestion, but I won’t hold my breath.

Userlevel 7

The Internet is burning with complaints about Spectrum routers. As a quickie fix, wire one of your speakers to the router. The general consensus on the Internet is to replace Spectrum routers with something more capable. Maybe someone will follow up here with a magic suggestion, but I won’t hold my breath.

You can breathe now @buzz 😂

@unwired

My suggestion is to purchase your own router (Linksys, TP, Netgear, Asus to name a few). I personally use Asus although some in the community may have a negative opinion; I’ve had no issues with Asus routers ( I guess I’m special 😂).

Jokes aside I strongly recommend getting your own router. When you do… make sure the Spectrum modem does not send a WiFi signal. If so have Spectrum turn the WiFi off which may require setting their modem to Bridge mode.

Spectrum may say they can’t properly trouble shoot an issue if their router is not in place. That’s a bunch of crap. They can still trouble shoot their service and the modem. You’ll just be responsible for the proper setup of your router.

Also Spectrum may threaten to increase your monthly if not using all of their equipment. That’s illegal as you don’t have to use any of their equipment.  They are providing your service as a GATEWAY to the internet and that’s what you are actually paying for. That’s why they are called an INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDER. 

All said… if you are not familiar with setting up a router hopefully you know someone who is. Quite frankly most manufacturers of routers provide excellent paper and/or online setup guidance. 

The community will assist as best as we can.