Switch off WiFi and Bluetooth PERMANENTLY from Sonos One

• 27 January 2020
  • 92 replies

Hi All

I have a very quick and simple question:

• Can I SWITCH OFF the Wifi and Bluetooth PERMANENTLY from my Sonos One?

I am keen on using Sonos One connected to my Router via a Ethernet cable and also because I want to reduce the EMF Radiation in my Flat.

Thanks in advance

N

92 replies

Hi All

I am keen on using Sonos One connected to my Router via a Ethernet cable and also because I want to reduce the EMF Radiation in my Flat.

Thanks in advance

N

WiFi, yes.  Bluetooth, no.  

Has Sonos provided an update to disable the bluetooth module?   There is no need for it to be always on, especially considering you can’t even use the feature anyway.  Thinking of buying Sonos One but waiting for this update before doing so.  Thank you.

To this point, no, they have not.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yes, you can use the feature - you use it when you set up the system. It is just not used for music.

You could buy a Gen 1 One or a Play:1 - bit speakers do without bluetooth.

Agreed that bluetooth is always ON as measured with an RF meter emitting ~200uW/m2 continuously after initial setup which is totally unnecessary. The fact that it's bluetooth LE is irrelevant.

My workaround is to wrap my Beam with RF shielding metal thread material and it lowers the level to ~3uW/m2 which is acceptable to me.  The bluetooth antenna seems to be in the middle of the Beam near the buttons. The issue with this is that you need to cover the touch buttons with the RF shielding.

I have some One’s outside wall mounted and it's not really practical to cover these.

Next, I plan to pull them apart and either a) cut the bluetooth antenna or b) shield internally.  If anyone has circuit diagrams please yell out.

To SONOS product engineers, this is a simple fix in your next hardware build.  Just add a physical on/off button for WiFi and bluetooth please, rather than driving a growing number of electrosensitive people away from your great products.

Hi All

Thanks in advance

N

Just disconnect the top cable, you lose the buttons, light and mic, but no BT signal any more 👍

Hi All

Thanks in advance

N

Just disconnect the top cable, you lose the buttons, light and mic, but no BT signal any more 👍

No warranty either.

Hi All

Thanks in advance

N

No warranty either.

Yep, I know.

Hi All

Thanks in advance

N

No warranty either.

Yep, I know.

Extreme, destructive measures for eliminating a tiny amount of RF energy (the clue is in the name ‘BLE’) when there’d doubtless be more from neighbour WiFi signals. And that’s assuming one doesn’t have WiFi of one’s own (which happens to be a Sonos system requirement). 

Hi All

Thanks in advance

N

No warranty either.

Yep, I know.

Extreme, destructive measures for eliminating a tiny amount of RF energy (the clue is in the name ‘BLE’) when there’d doubtless be more from neighbour WiFi signals. And that’s assuming one doesn’t have WiFi of one’s own (which happens to be a Sonos system requirement). 

Ask my girlfriend(tiny amount), se is glad that i solved it. only for installation wifi is required. 8 screws and a cable, that’s all, and reconnecting is easy.

The system is by cable connected.

We do not use WiFi or 4g.

And we use protection against WiFi from the neighbours and cellphone towers.

Now 0.8 uW/M2 in the living.

0.2 in bed.

BLE was 25 uW/m2…. 24/7 that’s a lot.

Agreed that bluetooth is always ON as measured with an RF meter emitting ~200uW/m2 continuously after initial setup which is totally unnecessary. The fact that it's bluetooth LE is irrelevant.

My workaround is to wrap my Beam with RF shielding metal thread material and it lowers the level to ~3uW/m2 which is acceptable to me.  The bluetooth antenna seems to be in the middle of the Beam near the buttons. The issue with this is that you need to cover the touch buttons with the RF shielding.

I have some One’s outside wall mounted and it's not really practical to cover these.

Next, I plan to pull them apart and either a) cut the bluetooth antenna or b) shield internally.  If anyone has circuit diagrams please yell out.

To SONOS product engineers, this is a simple fix in your next hardware build.  Just add a physical on/off button for WiFi and bluetooth please, rather than driving a growing number of electrosensitive people away from your great products.

At what distance?  

BTW I hope you don’t go outside, especially when it’s sunny, still less get on an aircraft. 

At what distance?  

BTW I hope you don’t go outside, especially when it’s sunny, still less get on an aircraft. 

2 meters, close by, 1500 +

going outside in the city is a problem.

bt is a different signal the WiFi and 4g.

it hops 1600 times per second, and that’s what se is feeling. Nasty signal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_hypersensitivity

Enough said.

Good grief. :rolling_eyes:

Average sunlight is 1000 W/m2, an intensity 40 Million times your Bluetooth.  Now that’s a “Nasty Signal”.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Though enlightening for most, I do not think you’ll convince the people concerned about this…….

Though enlightening for most, I do not think you’ll convince the people concerned about this…….

True.  But that's not why I reply.

Average sunlight is 1000 W/m2, an intensity 40 Million times your Bluetooth.  Now that’s a “Nasty Signal”.  

At the same frequency?

sunlight carry’s no information like Bt.

Unfortunately I know some people who can’t stand the sunlight, the wil burn alive.

the live in the night. And when the must go out at daylight then dress themselves like it’s winter.

i know this radiation subject is difficult to understand, but it’s a problem that is growing, perhaps you speak with a person with this problem, listen and try to understand.

myself, I’m helping a lot off people who are facing this problem.

with my tools and experience I’m helping them to make there live more easy.

At the same frequency?

The sun emits all frequencies that WiFi/Bluetooth/4G/5G does, and then some.  It even emits x-rays and other forms of ionizing radiation, which are actually proven to be harmful, given a certain dose. Still, people go outside all the time. 

So what? It’s still millions of times stronger than Bluetooth.  

Unfortunately I know some people who can’t stand the sunlight, the wil burn alive.

the live in the night. And when the must go out at daylight then dress themselves like it’s winter.

Those people have a proven, recognized, and diagnosed condition - xeroderma pigmentosum.  It is also extremely rare (1 in 1 million), so you knowing one person, never mind “some people” with that condition belies the odds.  

i know this radiation subject is difficult to understand, but it’s a problem that is growing, perhaps you speak with a person with this problem, listen and try to understand.

“Problem”?  There isn’t one scientific study where this “problem” was proven to exist.  When blinded to the source, people are not able able to identify when they were being “irradiated” vs when the “radiation” was off.  In the majority of cases studied using peer-reviewed science, the results lean heavily to the “problem” being wholly psychosomatic.  I feel for these sufferers, I really do.  However the help they need has nothing to do with eliminating EMF, and you offering affirmation or encouragement that it does is of no help at all. 

At the same frequency?

The sun emits all frequencies that WiFi/Bluetooth/4G/5G does, and then some.  It even emits x-rays and other forms of ionizing radiation, which are actually proven to be harmful, given a certain dose. Still, people go outside all the time. 

So what? It’s still millions of times stronger than Bluetooth.  

Those people have a proven, recognized, and diagnosed condition - xeroderma pigmentosum.  It is also extremely rare (1 in 1 million), so you knowing one person, never mind “some people” with that condition belies the odds.  

“Problem”?  There isn’t one scientific study where this “problem” was proven to exist.  When blinded to the source, people are not able able to identify when they were being “irradiated” vs when the “radiation” was off.  In the majority of cases studied using peer-reviewed science, the results lean heavily to the “problem” being wholly psychosomatic.  I feel for these sufferers, I really do.  However the help they need has nothing to do with eliminating EMF, and you offering affirmation or encouragement that it does is of no help at all. 

https://www.mareonline.nl/achtergrond/ze-zijn-ziek-van-straling-zeggen-ze-maar-niemand-gelooft-ze/?fbclid=IwAR1UbmRGlJYFECFaIHtgUUzdqSpReCQRSAk2sus0kQ9tcxrMC7R-tRBAAJQ

That is most certainly not a peer reviewed article from a respected medical/scientific journal.   Show me a peer reviewed article from a respected medical/scientific journal and I’ll be the first one to say I was wrong. 

If you are worried about the harmful effects of non-ionizing EMF, WHY ARE YOU BUYING WiFI DEVICES AT ALL!!!???

I’m worried by the harmful effects of smoking.  So I don’t smoke.  Ever.  Period. 

And if I were worried about the harmful effects of non-ionizing EMF, I wouldn’t own a cell phone, or Sonos, or a WiFI router, or anything that uses WiFi.  Ever.  Period. 

I wouldn’t expect Sonos to accommodate my wishes when, if my fears are founded, I shouldn’t even allow their product in my house.  

Sonos already accommodated this by offering wired Ethernet connection and disabling the wifi. Yet the newer generation still has Bluetooth capabilities and can’t be disabled. 

Purchase a frequency metre and see that these speakers put out the same amount of EMFs as your router… that’s frightening. 

Sonos already accommodated this by offering wired Ethernet connection and disabling the wifi. Yet the newer generation still has Bluetooth capabilities and can’t be disabled. 

Purchase a frequency metre and see that these speakers put out the same amount of EMFs as your router… that’s frightening. 

You didn't answer the question. 

Also FYI, for years Sonos didn’t allow you to turn off wifi, its a rather recent addition.  And I don't own a frequency meter, because I don't have an irrational fear of non-ionizing radio waves.

Make sure to wrap your flat in a Faraday cage to prevent everyone else’s BT and WiFi signals from getting in. And cellphone signals.

The inverse square law applies. So in today’s environment in this case with walls, furniture and wiring, the impact of other devices including cell phones will be lessened. Cell phones may be concern however as in areas of poor reception such as flats, they will increase their radiation output when ‘engaging’ with a cell tower, even when not in use. So if the phone is not in use, it is best to leave it in a different room as mitigation. Electro hypersensitive people have ‘degrees’ of symptoms and are good barometers for localised EMF. The Quantum Biology research at The University of Surrey has in 2022 (before your post) ratified and confirmed mitigation with the inverse square law in mind.
Whilst it is best practice not to live in areas of high population density, the fear mongering of reports saying cell phones, smart meters or wifi of neighbours is just as bad is alarmist considering the below:-
“𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐫𝐨𝐦𝐚𝐠𝐧𝐞𝐭𝐢𝐜 𝐟𝐢𝐞𝐥𝐝, 𝐬𝐮𝐜𝐡 𝐚𝐬 𝐥𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐨𝐫 𝐫𝐚𝐝𝐢𝐨 𝐰𝐚𝐯𝐞𝐬, 𝐝𝐞𝐜𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐞𝐬 𝐚𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐪𝐮𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐝𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐟𝐫𝐨𝐦 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐜𝐞. 𝐓𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐦𝐞𝐚𝐧𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐢𝐟 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐝𝐨𝐮𝐛𝐥𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐝𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐟𝐫𝐨𝐦 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐜𝐞, 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐧𝐬𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐛𝐞 𝐨𝐧𝐞-𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐭𝐡 𝐚𝐬 𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐨𝐧𝐠.”