Answered

Sub-Mini volume does not adjust via ERA 100 volume touch control - support say normal operation, really???

• 3 November 2023
  • 23 replies

I just bought a Sub Mini which is working well with my stereo pair of ERA 100 speakers with one major exception.  

The touch controls on each ERA 100 do not control the volume of the sub, only the other ERA 100 speaker leaving the sound with either way too much or too little bass depending on if I turned the volume up or down.  

The volume works correctly using the phone APP which even brings the volume of the Sub Mini back in sync with the 2 ERA 100s.

Sonos tech support verified this behavior using the support feature which confirmed the volume was  moving in sync using the APP but not when using the touch controls in 2 separate submissions.

Sonos Tech support said this is normal behavior but I am a little skeptical of the agent’s response and frequently use the grooved touch volume control.

Is the sub’s volume not responding to the volume touch controls on the speakers consistent with other’s experience?

Any thoughts or suggestions?  

ty

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 3 November 2023, 03:07

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

23 replies

Could you link to the touch controls one more time, please? ;)

That definitely sounds odd (no pun intended). The Sub, assuming it is bonded with the area 100s room, should be following the volume as you’d expect, and not merely when you use the controller, and not functioning when you use the touch controls. I’d be really tempted to power cycle both the pair os Era 100s and the mini sub, too see if it continues. If it does, then I’d call back in to Sonos , it sounds like the rep you spoke to just didn’t understand the situation. 

I have been having the same issue except my Sub (Gen 3) is paired with a stereo set of Ones. I just started noticing this sub volume issue about 2 months ago. Pretty much exactly as you described. The sub volume does not change when I adjust the volume on the Ones that the sub is associated with. In fact, this occurs in two separate rooms with similar setups. My has the issue both when using the app or the local buttons. Even if I turn the volume all the way to zero (0) the sub will keep playing. Annoying. I too got off the phone with tech support and it didn’t really help. I have been in the Sonos ecosystem for over a decade and this is not normal behavior regarding the volume. 

I’d agree, certainly not normal. Have you submitted a diagnostic to Sonos to help them track down this bug? I see you’ve called in, did they ask for a submission?

Hi,

Same problem with my system (stereo pair of ERA 100 + Sub Mini) :

When I modify the volume with the touch control of ERA100 Left, the volume of Sub mini isn’t synchronize. When the volume is @0, I heard the Sub mini to transmit bass sound.

But when I modify the volume with touch coontrol of ERA100 Right or the Sonos App on my Android phone, I don’t have this issue.

Hi,

Same problem with my system (stereo pair of ERA 100 + Sub Mini) :

When I modify the volume with the touch control of ERA100 Left, the volume of Sub mini isn’t synchronize. When the volume is @0, I heard the Sub mini to transmit bass sound.

But when I modify the volume with touch coontrol of ERA100 Right or the Sonos App on my Android phone, I don’t have this issue.

It sounds like you have the two Era 100’s set up as separate rooms and the Sub is only bonded with the “Right” Era 100.  You should make the two 100’s a stereo pair, then add the Sub to that room. 

Begin by removing the Sub from the “Right” room:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/remove-a-sonos-sub

Then stereo pair the “Left” and “Right” room:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/create-a-stereo-pair

Then add the Sub to the paired room.

Thank you jgatie for your reply.

I applied your recommandation but a have always same problem : No control of Sub volume with only one Era100.

I have only one room in my system : His name is “SONOS”.
In this room, I have 2*ERA100 on stereo pair (Left and Right). And I add in this room, the sub mini.

• I can ajdust the Balance of stereo pair with the Sonos app : OK
  • I can modify the volume of the system “SONOS (L+R+Sub)” with the Sonos app : OK
  • I can modify the volume of the system “SONOS (L+R+Sub)” with touch control of Era 100 (Right) : OK
  • I can’t modify the volume of the system “SONOS (L+R+Sub)” with the touch control of Era 100 (Left). When I modify the volume with the touch control of Era 100 (Left), only the volume of the stereo pair is modify. The volume of the sub-mini isn’t modify :  NOK.

Cordialy

If you scroll down you should see ‘Sub Audio’ and in there is the Sub volume slider control. See attached combined screenshots.

Sonos continues to state that currently the ERA 100’s touch control are not able to control the volume of a linked subwoofer in their system and that the APP should be used to control system volume and keep the sub level in sync with the ERA 100s.

I really miss using the touch controls and probably would not have bought the sub if I knew I would lose the use of the volume touch control on the ERA 100s.  

SONOS please prioritize an update to make the ERA touch volume controls work properly with a linked sub.

Hi all,

has there been any updates in this? I have a stereo pair of ones (one is A100 and the other A200) and the sub mini. The touch control on the A200 controls the sub volume but the A100 doesn’t! 

If I turn the sound down completely on the A100 the sub is still clearly playing the song. 

thanks

Hi all,

has there been any updates in this? I have a stereo pair of ones (one is A100 and the other A200) and the sub mini. The touch control on the A200 controls the sub volume but the A100 doesn’t! 

If I turn the sound down completely on the A100 the sub is still clearly playing the song. 

As a visitor to this site fairly often myself, I did not realise this was a current issue, Sadly I do not have the exact relevant speakers to help fully test these things, but I have just created a similar setup to try and test this in my Utility room.

I’ve just tried my Sub Mini with One-SL’s (both A100) and that seems to be working just fine. See attached screenshot. The hardware touch controls adjust the volume of both speakers and the Sub-Mini

Anyhow have you ever tried pairing the speakers the other way around to see if that may make a difference, or even perhaps resetting the A100 device only to see if it fixes things?

@Corbe,

Also, just to check another thing in your case, are the two speakers & sub-mini using the same wireless access point and do you know what the SNR levels are for both your speakers. See attached link below to discover those. Ideally you need an SNR level of 45dB, or higher.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/understanding-the-network-details-section-in-the-sonos-app

Thanks for the reply, you may well be on to something as the troublesome Right speaker is on a different WiFi channel. See attached. How do I get them all on the same?

I would start by ensuring that the WiFi band/access points are not set as ‘isolated’ from each other in the routers configuration settings.

Just see if your router allows you to manually ‘steer’ your Sonos One devices onto a different WiFi band, so that both the ‘One’ speakers are on the same band/channel.

Check your routers user-manual - it’s usually a case of blacklisting (or whitelisting) the device MAC address in the routers WiFi adapters configuration page(s).

My thoughts are to try to get the ‘One’ off the 5Ghz band and have both use the more penetrating 2.4Ghz band - but before doing that, maybe just try ‘temporarily’ switching off any ‘other’ access points, all except the router, then disable its 5Ghz band. This is just for a very ‘quick’ test to see if that gets things working correctly for you …and then enable the 5Ghz band again and if it works, go onto figure out how to switch things over so that both Ones use the same 2.4Ghz band and channel on the router only and go from there.

I have seen some users with a similar issue, go onto ‘split’ their 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz router bands in their router configuration pages by adding "-5G” to their 5Ghz WiFi SSID (name) and leaving the 2.4Ghz band with its original name and then ensuring that the 2.4Ghz SSID is the only WiFi network they have setup in the Sonos App - so that’s another option open to you.

Another option of course is to use SonosNet instead, by wiring one Sonos product to the main router, but that product should not be a HT surround, nor a Sub. The wired device should also be set at least one metre away from the Router or other wireless access point …and don’t forget it needs to be set to a completely different channel in the Sonos App, compared to the channel set on the routers 2.4Ghz band.

I have seen some users with a similar issue, go onto ‘split’ their 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz router bands in their router configuration pages by adding "-5G” to their 5Ghz WiFi SSID (name) and leaving the 2.4Ghz band with its original name and then ensuring that the 2.4Ghz SSID is the only WiFi network they have setup in the Sonos App - so that’s another option open to you.

Another option of course is to use SonosNet instead, by wiring one Sonos product to the main router, but that product should not be a HT surround, nor a Sub. The wired device should also be set at least one metre away from the Router or other wireless access point …and don’t forget it needs to be set to a completely different channel in the Sonos App, compared to the channel set on the routers 2.4Ghz band.

I was hoping you was gonna say turn it off and on again 😅. I’ll have a play about, thanks again 👍

That never hurts ;)

Got them all on the same channel but it’s made no difference unfortunately!

Maybe go onto try what I mentioned earlier and that’s to pair them the other way around and see if that sorts it. The One SL’s (A100) are fine here paired with the Sub-Mini, but appreciate it’s not the exact same hardware setup that you have there.

Maybe go onto try what I mentioned earlier and that’s to pair them the other way around and see if that sorts it. The One SL’s (A100) are fine here paired with the Sub-Mini, but appreciate it’s not the exact same hardware setup that you have there.

Sorry should have said I also tried that and which ever one I set as the left speaker won’t control the sub still. 

Sorry should have said I also tried that and which ever one I set as the left speaker won’t control the sub still. 

Okay, just one more ‘last’ suggestion… what happens if you cable the left speaker to your router and reboot the other two (One & Sub), putting all devices over to a SonosNet connection - I still think this ‘might’ be a local Sky network issue, but let’s see if doing that fixes things.

@Corbe,

Whilst researching your issue here and searching the community, I just came across this post from Sonos Staff - see what it says about SkyQ, if that’s what you’re using?…

https://en.community.sonos.com/speakers-229128/troubleshooting-sonos-on-wifi-6856334?postid=16520976#post16520976

It recommends running Sonos products in SonosNet mode too - so it’s worth trying my suggestion, I think🤔? 

@Corbe,

Whilst researching your issue here and searching the community, I just came across this post from Sonos Staff - see what it says about SkyQ, if that’s what you’re using?…

https://en.community.sonos.com/speakers-229128/troubleshooting-sonos-on-wifi-6856334?postid=16520976#post16520976

It recommends running Sonos products in SonosNet mode too - so it’s worth trying my suggestion, I think🤔? 

Thanks, I will try plugging one to the router so I will at least knowing that’s the issue but location wise it’s not something I can permanently do unfortunately. 
Thanks

Thanks, I will try plugging one to the router so I will at least knowing that’s the issue but location wise it’s not something I can permanently do unfortunately. 
Thanks

If it works, then a way around it in the long term is to purchase a Boost and cable that to the router in place of a speaker. You need to test these things first though, to see if it fixes the issue.