Skip to main content

If I have two pairs of speakers can they be controlled separately? will they both have to be on the same source and at the same volume?

Two pairs (ie. two lots of two)?

If you have properly paired each pair:

One pair (room) can play one source of music, same volume, although you can control the balance. The other pair (room) can play another source of music, at their own volume.

You can also group the two pairs in the grouping screen for them all to play the same thing. 

Could you please explain in detail. There is a local shop here that wants to sell me 2 separate amps to achieve what you just described.

Sounds like you aren’t asking about Sonos speakers but passive ones.

With Sonos speakers you can use them in a lot of different ways.

With non-Sonos, passive speakers you need a Sonos Amp to power them. The Sonos Amp supports one audio stream, one volume control and one pair of stereo speaker connectors.

If you want two audio streams playing you must have two Sonos Amps.

If you want one audio stream but two volume controls you can get by with one Sonos Amp and external speaker-level volume controls.

Each AMP will become a stereo “Room” with a pair of conventional, passive speakers connected to each AMP. You can operate the two Rooms independently, each with its own music and Volume control. SONOS also supports forming a “Group” of Rooms that will play the same music and all Rooms in the Group will be time aligned. You can use a single Volume control for all members of the Group or break out the Volume control for each member.

So yes I was considering the Kliosch RSM 650. I am open to using the Sonos speakers if it give me more flexibility. Just fishing for info right now. The local guy just said buy 2 amps and 2 pairs of speaker. 

Two amps and two pairs of speakers sounds like the solution you need.

Picking the speakers is as it always is a exercise in compromise. You want the best possible sound but the price has to also remain affordable. The Sonos/Sonance 6 or 8 inch speakers aren’t bad choices and they give you the ability to run Trueplay once the update glitches are sorted out.

With the built-in speakers you might find the low end a bit weak, either a Sonos Sub or a third party amplified sub, maybe an in-wall one might be the solution. Crutchfield has some good reading on the various speakers they sell which makes them a great starting point for research, then shop on price and support.