speaker layout for this room?

• 24 April 2024
  • 2 replies

Looking to put ceiling speakers in our kitchen remodel. space is roughly 27’ long by 15’ wide. Can I get away with just two speakers in this room? I was thinking one on the right side in between the island and cabinets, with a second speaker closer to the dining table. Would this be sufficient or do I really need 4 in this space?

I do not need sound over the stair area on far left. The kitchen is an open concept and leads into a living room with a vsaulted ceiling. There is a sonos soundbar in that room and I have no plans to add additional speakers in there. 

I appreciate any input!!

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @evshul, welcome to the Sonos Community!

I agree with you that two In-Ceiling speakers are a good choice for this room and the placement is what I would suggest as well. If it were standing speakers like the Era 100, then you could argue that four speakers would be optimal, but In-Ceiling speakers provide better overall coverage with the loss of stereo sound (you can do stereo with two In-Ceiling speakers, I just wouldn’t recommend it when not part of a Home Theater setup).

You can also reach out to our sales team if you have any more questions like this as they’re here to answer any product related questions and also help you pick the best Sonos devices for your setup or room.

I hope this information helps!

Initially it will seem excessive, but I recommend six speakers with the capability to individually control the Volume on each pair. You’ll want a pair near the noise source, which is usually the stove area, a pair on the far side of the dining room table, and a pair on the other side of the island. The advantage of this arrangement is that sound levels will be very uniform as one moves about the space and you can raise the level for the noise area when necessary. Since coverage is very uniform, you can keep the sound level lower, still be aware of the music, and allow easy conversation. This multi speaker arrangement advantage diminishes as the ceiling level rises.

With the two speaker arrangement dining room listeners will only benefit from the nearby speaker and its location will be sonically obvious. For dining room table listening in the two speaker configuration, switching AMP to MONO will help.

I’ve seen this done and the uniformity of sound is amazing.