Answered

SonosNet & Era 300

Presently have a number of speakers and a sound bar connected to my SonosNet system.

Considering purchasing the new Era 300 as an update to my  2 first generation, Sonos one’s. I understand the new Era 300 doesn’t support SonosNet.  Do I therefore have to remove all my speakers and sound bar from SonosNet to WiFi  to incorporate the new Era300?  If so, how do I do that.   Removing the Sonos Boost from the system will automatically allow all my speakers to find WiFi?

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 9 March 2023, 20:38

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 7

Like the Sonos portable speakers, the Era speakers will just connect to your Wi-Fi while the other speakers connect to SonosNet. So you can have both SonosNet and Wi-Fi operating together.

No, you can still run Sonosnet.  I have 10 speakers on Sonosnet, plus a Move and a Roam on WiFi.

Thank you. That’s great.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Move works fine off SonosNet so the 300 should be the same.

Userlevel 7

Move works fine off SonosNet so the 300 should be the same.

Sonos portable speakers don’t connect to SonosNet.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

I get SonosNet setup, and I get WiFi setup.

But what if you use the combo adapter with Era 100 or 300 connected to Ethernet LAN?

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/sonos-combo-adapter

Its not WiFi, and its not SonosNet, so what is this new network connection mode officially called?

I get SonosNet setup, and I get WiFi setup.

But what if you use the combo adapter with Era 100 or 300 connected to Ethernet LAN?

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/sonos-combo-adapter

Its not WiFi, and its not SonosNet, so what is this new network connection mode officially called?

That would be a naming convention problem, but obviously, the a ethernet connection is going to operate the same as WiFi connection, but without having to be concerned about potential wireless interference or, if you’re concerned about security, providing wifi password to the speaker. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Yes, understand, just want to know how to describe a ‘wired’ ERA device vs a ‘wired’ SonosNet device in terms of Sonos Network.

Have a look here:

https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/article/choose-between-a-wireless-and-wired-sonos-setup

It has been vaguely  updated for Era devices, but not 100% clear to me.

Lets say you wanted to replace the wired play1 in the second diagram with a wired ERA 100, the system would stop working, as the other Sonos devices wouldn't have a SonosNet to connect to?

Yes, understand, just want to know how to describe a ‘wired’ ERA device vs a ‘wired’ SononNet device in terms of Sonos Network.

Have a look here:

https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/article/choose-between-a-wireless-and-wired-sonos-setup

It has been vaguely  updated for Era devices, but not 100% clear to me.

Lets say you wanted to replace the wired play1 in the second diagram with a wired ERA 100, the system would stop working, as the other Sonos devices wouldn't have a SonosNet to connect to?

I imagine the system would switch over to Wi-Fi, because the Era can’t be set up without entering the Wi-Fi credentials, which all devices will then have access to.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

I imagine the system would switch over to Wi-Fi, because the Era can’t be set up without entering the Wi-Fi credentials, which all devices will then have access to.

OK, understood. And I guess we have to imagine that all devices have sufficient WiFi signal strength from the wireless router in that example.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Are you using the One's as surrounds? And do you intend to use the era 300's as surrounds? Then they do not work via your wifi/Sonosnet directly. The soundbar will work as a middle man via a direct 5Ghz link to the surrounds. 

Presently have a number of speakers and a sound bar connected to my SonosNet system.

Considering purchasing the new Era 300 as an update to my 2 first generation, Sonos one’s. I understand the new Era 300 doesn’t support SonosNet.  Do I therefore have to remove all my speakers as they have huge volume even my wig took off and sound bar from SonosNet to WiFi  to incorporate the new Era300?  If so, how do I do that.   Removing the Sonos Boost from the system will automatically allow all my speakers to find WiFi?

I think it will works on WiFi. And all the speaker works fine on my end.

When used as surrounds, all Sonos speakers connect to the soundbar in use, and not either SonosNet or your wifi. It’s a 5Ghz signal from the soundbar, something many people don’t recognize. It’s not visible in most routers, and all of the IP addresses are proxied through the soundbar to the surrounds.