Sonos vs Apple mini HomePod

• 13 October 2020
  • 8 replies

Badge

Folks, it’s been a long while since I've been in here. I apologize for the redundancy if there is one...

I got burned. I have 4 pairs of play3s and play5 (1gen).  I can’t handshake from phone to them? (NO airplay2!). I can’t send a podcast that I have been listening to in the car to the SONOS system when I got home. This greatly upset me. I felt that SONOS did very little to support older products. So, on that note I probably will never purchase another SONO product unless there is someway to  advance my system.  I would not be surprised if this limited technology behavior continues.  On a new note, the Mini Homepod by Apple looks great. Affordable and Scaleable, I want one. It integrates significantly better than SONOs (unless someone can share how I can get my phone podcast to stream to the play3’s. Maybe someone put a hack together and it’s up on GitHub? let me know.

Then, theres the SONOS app. it’s gotten clunkier over time.  When I do a search for music, Amazon services come up first. I don’t want that, I would want Apple or Spotify to show results.  Unfortunately, one can’t even control this behavior. I should be able to move services around in order I want. Very basic concept. 

So, overall,  I’m disappointed with SONOS, especially with their  limited flexibility with growth within technology  and the clunky limited app.  I could not recommend this product for anyone who is trying to make a decision. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @vixster, thank you for reaching us out in the Sonos Community. I appreciate your detailed post describing the issue and all your effort in checking for the resolution. Let me help you with this.

Sonos Play 3 and Play 5 (Gen 1) doesn't have the AirPlay2 capability to play music or send podcast from your iOS device. If you have a computer, you can still listen to podcasts on your Sonos devices. Sonos can play podcasts that have been downloaded to your computer or NAS drive.

1. Share the folder where the podcasts reside with Sonos.
  2. In the Sonos app, go to Music Library > Artist if the metadata is supplied (not all podcasts do this).
    • Podcasts may also be accessed by going to Music Library > Genre > Podcasts.
    • If your podcasts do not show up in either location, go to Music Library > Folder to browse the shared folder directly.
  3. Each time you download a new podcast, you must re-index your music share to update the Sonos music library.

When you search in the Sonos app, it’s in alphabetical order, that’s why Amazon music come up first. Sorting the order of the music services feature is not available yet on Sonos. What I can do is send in a feature request to make this available in the Sonos app. We don't have the timeline on this but you can check our announcements when this feature becomes available. 

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

The Sonos Community is always here to help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Cheap work around: buy an IKEA Symfonisk, group it with your other speakers and Airplay to the Symfonisk, and thus the group.

Badge

Hi @vixster, thank you for reaching us out in the Sonos Community.

I appreciate your detailed post describing the issue and all your effort in checking for the resolution. Let me help you with this.

Sonos Play 3 and Play 5 (Gen 1) doesn't have the AirPlay2 capability to play music or send podcast from your iOS device. If you have a computer, you can still listen to podcasts on your Sonos devices. Sonos can play podcasts that have been downloaded to your computer or NAS drive.

1. Share the folder where the podcasts reside with Sonos.
  2. In the Sonos app, go to Music Library > Artist if the metadata is supplied (not all podcasts do this).
    • Podcasts may also be accessed by going to Music Library > Genre > Podcasts.
    • If your podcasts do not show up in either location, go to Music Library > Folder to browse the shared folder directly.
  3. Each time you download a new podcast, you must re-index your music share to update the Sonos music library.

When you search in the Sonos app, it’s in alphabetical order, that’s why Amazon music come up first. Sorting the order of the music services feature is not available yet on Sonos. What I can do is send in a feature request to make this available in the Sonos app. We don't have the timeline on this but you can check our announcements when this feature becomes available. 

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

The Sonos Community is always here to help.

Dear Rowena, 

I’m not looking for solutions because I know there are NONE. The purpose of this post was to let others know how I feel SONOS as a company blew a lot of users off. Therefore, never buying another SONOS product.

Let me share.. 

1. As I stated Play 3 and Play 5 (gen 1) does NOT support airplay2.  I’m would be my bottom dollar SONOS could have created a widget box to go on the network to support airplay2. 
  2. I think you may miss the benefits of airplay(2).. to do what ever you were doing on a device (phone, computer) and then, if you choose, to  send it to another input (speakers or TV). So, your solution to share a folder is a 1970’s concept. ;) AND, I'm streaming and NOT downloading.
  3. As I said, the app SUCKS. Yes it’s alphabetical, that’s clear!!! I believe I stated this.. The fact that you can’t reorder your “Music & Content” under settings is ridiculous. I expected more! What an elementary concept that can’t be done.  When Sonos first came out. the App was a killer.. now it’s killed. Feel free to pass this information on. FYI,  I’m “a Sonos beta tester”

Thank you,

Vixster

One option is to cable an Airport Express to the Play:5 line-in and Airplay to that device/speaker, or any speaker within the same Sonos HH. 

Badge

One option is to cable an Airport Express to the Play:5 line-in and Airplay to that device/speaker, or any speaker within the same Sonos HH. 

Thanks, don’t have any tho...

Thanks, don’t have any tho...

• A Bluetooth receiver, or echo dot?
  • A mobile to 3.5mm audio cable?
  • A chromecast audio device

...any of the above would ‘likely’ help solve your issue too. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

@vixster something you might be able to do is to get a newer sonos device, airplay to that, then use the sonos app to group the older speakers with that. i haven’t tried it myself, but i’ve seen it suggested elsewhere.

Badge

@vixster something you might be able to do is to get a newer sonos device, airplay to that, then use the sonos app to group the older speakers with that. i haven’t tried it myself, but i’ve seen it suggested elsewhere.

Thank you. I did do this. I purchased the Ikea bookshelf  (Sonos) Speaker.  overall, glad to have it, but it’s cranky when I airplay to all the speakers. they drop in and out with the exception of the Ikea speaker.. so, it’s not great for multi room playback. but for the one speaker fine.  In general, I would not recommend Sonos speakers moving forwards. my two cents.