Skip to main content
I bought a pair of the Play 1s and a pair of the Ones. Sound quality are same on both systems as advertised. I originally bought the Play 1 pair, then decided I wanted the addition features that come with the SONOS One. I did notice that the SONOS One seems to produce more heat than the Play 1. Not excessive heat, but I don’t know if it is something of concern. I don’t if it is by design either? I’m still under refund period for both pairs, and would like to keep the SONOS One pair. But if I have uncovered a common issue the One then I’d rather keep the Play 1 pair and bring back the One pair.
Is this heat issue noticeable after the players have been idle, or after they've been in use? Where on the unit are you sensing the heat?

Idle power consumption for the One is only marginally greater than P:1, if the former's microphone is switched on. https://support.sonos.com/s/article/256 (Sonos used to list the One's consumption as only 3.2W/230V with the mic off but that's been removed from the page.)

In-use power dissipation could be greater for One since it contains a significantly more powerful CPU.
The heat is sensed at the back of unit. Only noticeable when device is in-use. When idle, I do sense it a bit warmer than the Play 1 also in idle. The Play 1 is cooler to the touch when at idle, but it does not have the microphone. I have always had the microphone set to on, on the One. This kind of makes sense given the updated spec and capabilities/features on the One vs the Play 1.
That figures. The heatsink is to the rear, with coupling out through the back of the case.
Do you know how much of difference is there on CPU between the two speakers?
Do you know how much of difference is there on CPU between the two speakers?

I'm not sure what you mean exactly, but for example it was stated that Airplay could be supported on One and not Play:1 because the former had significantly more processing power (and possibly more memory too).
To my knowledge, Sonos has not published what chips are in use. I'd suppose that DIY'ers who may have opened one up may know, but doing so breaks the Sonos replacement policy.
Ok. Thank you for responding to my questions. I appreciate it.
You can use an inexpensive tool like a Kil-A-Watt power meter, about $20 to check both the in-use and idle power draws. I'd expect the Sonos One to be a bit higher than the Play 1 but not a lot more.
Stanley, I ran the Kil-A-Watt power meter test on both Sonos speaker pairs . For Sonos One, it ran up to 3 watts at rest/idle with mic on, 2 watts with mic off. It goes up to 6 watts in use with mic on / 5 watts with mic off. For Sonos Play 1, it ran at 1 watt at rest/idle, and up to 3 watts in use.

With microphone on, condumptiom somewhat doubles between the two speakers.