Answered

Sonos One - Connecting to TV

• 11 February 2018
  • 13 replies

Hey,

I'm on the fence about jumping into the Sonos community with two Sonos Ones. I'm almost convinced but there's one thing holding me back.

Can I use the Sonos ones to play out of my TV, as well as playing music? For example, playing Netflix or Amazon via a Google Chromecast OR screen mirroring to the TV via an Apple TV - can I wirelessly connect the Sonos Ones to play out audio in these scenarios?

Thanks!

Gully
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 12 February 2018, 02:59

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

No, unfortunately not. Sonos does make two products that are designed for use with TVs, the PLAYBAR and PLAYBASE. The Sonos Ones don't have the ability (natively) to talk to your TV. You'd need to get something else (a CONNECT or PLAY:5) that would allow the Sonos Ones to get information from the TV.
Thanks Airgetlam,

I thought that might be the case. If I get a PLAYBAR then could I use it to also connect the two Sonos Ones to the TV?

Is this something that will be fixed with upcoming compatibility with Airplay 2? It seems a bit of an oversight - although I suppose the idea is to get you buying more Sonos products.

Much appreciated!

Gully
If you get a PLAYBASE or PLAYBAR, you could use the pair as surround speakers, but not left and right speakers from a normal 5.1 system. You could, however, set up the pair as a separate room, and group that room with the room that is the PLAYBAR, then you would get stereo, but not a 5.1 right and left. I know, it’s a little confusing. But setting them up as surrounds with the PLAYBAR is really an awesome thing, and will get you where you want to be.

I don’t think the upcoming AirPlay 2 implementation would have any effect in this. There still wouldn’t be a way to connect those Sonos Ones to the TV, it would just allow you to connect your Apple devices to the Sonos ecosystem.
Badge
Hi,

I am simply trying to let my Sonos One speakers play whatever there is on my laptop. I don't have a TV, you see, so I do everything on my laptop (listening to music, watching films incl. netflix, watching the news or other television programmes on the Belgian official television website...). So I wonder: is there a way I could get the sound for all this from my Sonos One speakers?

Buying another speaker of 800 euros, the Sonos Playbar, to make this work doesn't make sense to me, really! I have an excellent sound with the two Sonos One speakers so a Playbar would be redundant for music, and I already have by B&O speakers doing an excellent job playing television and movies, so I'm not sure I would want to spend 800 Euros (!!!) only to add another speaker that would get my Sonos One speakers to also play television and movies on my laptop.

I really love the sound of my Sonos One speakers, but I regret they are of such a limited use. So I do find the value for money rather limited in my case... Unless there is a way to make my speakers work for all the sounds that my laptop produces...

I'd be very grateful to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

Best wishes
Adinda
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The Sonos Ones - if your laptop is a Mac you have some options to send audio direct to the Sonos Ones (SonoAir). There is also direct support coming later this year in Airplay2.

If your a PC laptop - your real only option right now is a Play:5 or connect to hook to it to stream out to.
Badge
Hi,
Many thanks for this! I do have a Mac but I just read online that SonoAir does not work well for movies as they is a delay in the sound that comes out of the speakers, meaning it isn't synchronised with the movie's. Is that true?
A
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
That would be true.
Badge
Thanks! So I'll wait for Airplay2 then :))
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Or get playbar/base or get a Play:5 (analog input).
Badge
Yeah - that cost another 600-800 euros, in my case ONLY to be able to watch movies on my laptop. That's the point that I tried to make earlier... I have a small living room and my two Sonos One speakers are really sufficient for a good sound. Plus I still have my two B&O speakers which are excellent for watching stuff on my laptop. So throwing away 600-800 euros I won't do. I'd rather buy two other Sonos speakers to play music in my bedroom instead 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Or take those to bedroom and get a Play:5 for the living room - then have it all.
Badge
will I have stereo in my living room with just one bar or base?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
A single playbar in your living room will give you full simulated 5.0 surround sound