Answered

Sonos five connection to TV

• 29 February 2024
  • 10 replies

Hi, I would like to know if it is possible to connect the Sonos Play 5 to the TV.  If you can connect a turntable via RCA cable, it should also connect to the TV. If anyone can give me some clarification.  Thank you

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 29 February 2024, 22:44

View original

10 replies

The aux input comes with a 75 ms delay.  The delay is irrelevant for turntable audio, but will be a noticeable lip sync issue with TV audio.

Thanks for replying, I understand.  However, I could pair them with the TV but there would be the problem of audio delay.  Thank you

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Thanks for replying, I understand.  However, I could pair them with the TV but there would be the problem of audio delay.  Thank you

Yes, it works, but it’s not an official supported usecase. And in the past the delay in most cases crashed the user experience. For myself I always would use a home theater device with digital input and multichannel audio option. But to be honest last time I did some testings with video sources and Sonos analogue audio input the delay for me was not remarkable like in the past. 
So I suggest you try for your own (but be aware to set optimized settings in Sonos app… min delay of 75ms and audio compression turned off). 

Grazie...👍👍

Hi everyone, I would like to change my Sonos Play 5 Gen 2 with Sono Five. Do you think it's a good idea or the difference is minimal.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi everyone, I would like to change my Sonos Play 5 Gen 2 with Sono Five. Do you think it's a good idea or the difference is minimal.

As long as P5 Gen2 is supported for S2 I won‘t do that. They sound like identical and there are just some inside updates of hardware like processor and memory. Also the white model now is white completely. Features, sound and design are quite the same. 

Hello and thank you for any response you give me. I wanted to know if anyone has tried to connect a Bluetooth system attached with a 3.5 jack and then connect the smartphone. The quality will certainly suffer a lot.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@francpes 

That depends on your personal requirements… of course bluetooth isn’t the same audio quality like a direkt stream via Sonos API in 24bit/ 48kHz. 
But imo such a bt connection for many users would be ok. For example playing podcasts, audiobooks or even some music can be not such bad. If you use a bt aptX compatible bt receiver and phone, that would improve quality.

Speaking for myself long time ago, before first bt ready Sonos speakers were available, I used a bt adapter with my iPhone on a Play5 gen2 and it really was ok for me. Not for serious music listening, but as an alternative to get content to my system that was not available on Sonos via another way. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Is there a good phone-USB to analog adapter available?

You’d have the cable to deal with but likely better sound.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Is there a good phone-USB to analog adapter available?

You’d have the cable to deal with but likely better sound.

I do not recommend the usual DAC adapters like Apples lightning or USB C to 3,5mm analogue adapter. They are about 10 bucks and you can imagine what quality level the DAC is. 
To get a better quality than via bluetooth via cabled connection for phones that just have digital out imo you should use a high quality DAC.