Answered

SONOS ALEXA Integration?

Userlevel 3
Badge
Been waiting to hear news about when this will happen and am starting to think it never will. I have Sonos and Alexa in every room. I did this with the assurance that Sonos and Alexa are going to work together. There has been next to no news regarding integration for the past 6 months.... When can we expect to hear about Sonos and Alexa integration? Is it still happening? Please any update would be appreciated.
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 31 August 2017, 23:52

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

267 replies

There already is some low level integration of Sonos through third party hubs. In that respect, I don't know that it makes much sense for Sonos to build their own for a short term solution.

As for the HomePod, I am sure their are plenty of Apple fans who will get on board no matter what, but there are few disadvantages it has. For one, it's Apple, so it won't work with any other tech if it doesn't have to. The only music service available is Apple Music as far as I can tell. It also has no variety in product. Just one $350 device. You can pair it with another speaker(s) but no mention of stereo pairing or playing different sources in different zones. No ability to play from a line in source or tv. Even as a voice assistant, it is way behind Amazon and Google.

The sound quality is compared to a Play 3, so price wise it's no different than a dot matched to a Play 3, but with less versatility. It will do well because it's Apple, but it could actually bring in more people to the market and increase Sonos sales, rather then decrease it.

Correction: Apple just announced a new speaker. They haven't released anything and don't plan to until December.

Given Sonos gave 2017 as the release year, there's every chance the HomePod could be out before Sonos/Alexa integration 🆒
As for the HomePod, I am sure their are plenty of Apple fans who will get on board no matter what, but there are few disadvantages it has. For one, it's Apple, so it won't work with any other tech if it doesn't have to. The only music service available is Apple Music as far as I can tell. It also has no variety in product. Just one $350 device. You can pair it with another speaker(s) but no mention of stereo pairing or playing different sources in different zones. No ability to play from a line in source or tv. Even as a voice assistant, it is way behind Amazon and Google.

Apple just announced that iOS11/MacOS 10.13 includes Airplay 2 which is a multiroom system that integrates with their Homekit, which means that it will be possible to play sound from any app, and to any combination of Airplay 2 supporting speakers. Which seems to be about all Sonos' competitors.
Been waiting to hear news about when this will happen and am starting to think it never will. I have Sonos and Alexa in every room. I did this with the assurance that Sonos and Alexa are going to work together. There has been next to no news regarding integration for the past 6 months.... When can we expect to hear about Sonos and Alexa integration? Is it still happening? Please any update would be appreciated.
So I have been waiting 1/2 year. I have six Echoes, and approximately 20 SONOS speakers ( big house). I bought my first Sonos roughly 15 years ago ( early adopter ). I also like Apple products. If Apple delivers a voice-controlled high-quality speaker before SONOS, I'm a buyer. Simple. Too bad for SONOS. It's taking too long. I'm a little bit sad.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I would be most certain we will see some Alexa integration prior to the release of the Homepod.
Sonos need to get this feature out there sooner rather than later in light of Apples Homepod which will compete in the same market space.
I am sure I am biased, but I just can't be that impressed with HomePod. What I've read just doesn't give me a good feeling about it all. Sure, there will be diehard apple fans, but I'm not sure it's going to cause many people to drop Echo or Google in favor of Apple.

I've searched a little about Airplay 2, but I don't see anything elaborating on what they consider to be multi-room. I'm sure you can play the same source in multiple rooms, but I see nothing about different sources. And yes, you could play music from Apple or whatever is on your phone, which sounds nice, but is really rather limited in practicality, especially when you consider what Sonos offers.

I think you also have to consider the entry price People are going to be much more comfortable with $50-$200 dollar range, particularly when gift giving, then they are with $350.

It will be a rather interesting Christmas retail season.
Sonos need to get this feature out there sooner rather than later in light of Apples Homepod which will compete in the same market space.

...and they rush out a broken implementation, and then everyone gives them grief for not testing before release.

Which is not to let Sonos off the hook, as they 100% were resting on their laurels a little bit.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
I am sure I am biased, but I just can't be that impressed with HomePod. What I've read just doesn't give me a good feeling about it all.

I've searched a little about Airplay 2, but I don't see anything elaborating on what they consider to be multi-room. I'm sure you can play the same source in multiple rooms, but I see nothing about different sources. And yes, you could play music from Apple or whatever is on your phone, which sounds nice, but is really rather limited in practicality, especially when you consider what Sonos offers.

It will be a rather interesting Christmas retail season.

Apple is making a gamble. They are trying to target Sonos customers. By what I see on this forum, they are forever expecting more and better. But customers who experience the effortless setup with Sonos and migrate to Homepod will likely face the same issues but will Apple support the network issues they face? I can't get them to fix the issues I am facing at home in an Apple Store. Then they have to setup a support infra for the home network and third part products like routers et al. I use all the Apple products and know they are good but this is home!! Integration is key. Involvement is also key.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Thanks for jumping in everyone. Great answers already. As suggested, I can't really provide any extra details today, but I assure you, we're as excited about this as you are. It is coming. We'll let the world know as soon as there's more to say, and we'll announce here on the community (and elsewhere) if there are any opportunities to help us beta test.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Can I ask a daft question as I am a little confused? If you can add Voice Control with a software upgrade are there Microphones in all your speakers ? a software solution sound truly fabulous.
Can I ask a daft question as I am a little confused? If you can add Voice Control with a software upgrade are there Microphones in all your speakers ? a software solution sound truly fabulous.

The only Sonos speaker with a microphone is the Play:5 2nd Gen, and it is not the far field microphone array needed for voice control. So the coming Sonos implementation will achieve voice control via an Amazon Alexa device (Echo, Dot, Tap, Fire TV or Fire Tablet). You will speak to the Alexa device, and it will relay the commands to Sonos.

There is also talk of interfacing with Apple/Google voice assistant devices in the future, as well as putting a far field microphone array in future Sonos models.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
so will that mean we need to buy, find space and a power socket for a dot in every room we have Sonos? not a free or neat "software" upgrade.
Well, it's either that or not do voice control at all. Right now, Alexa is the defacto standard for voice control. Sonos could either partner with them, or wait the 2-4 years it takes to design, create, test, tool, manufacture, and release the hardware/software to do it themselves. The choice is pretty simple if they wanted to get in on the market now, with a mature voice control product.

Also, many people already have a home full of Dots for lights, thermostats, television, security, etc. Matter of fact, the response to the Alexa announcement saw hundreds of posters here volunteering for the private beta, something which never happened before. It seems not many are put off by the hardship of buying a Dot and finding an outlet as one may think.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Just not how I read the Sonos Staff statement. hence why I asked. Maybe Apple is the answer. it usually is
Just not how I read the Sonos Staff statement. hence why I asked. Maybe Apple is the answer. it usually is

The Sonos staement was referencing the press release from last year, seen at this link:

http://press-us.sonos.com/134980-sonos-with-partners-and-industry-leaders-ushers-in-new-era-of-connected-home-listening
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Well, meanwhile the Alexa-Squeezebox integration continues apace. ....
Well, meanwhile the Alexa-Squeezebox integration continues apace. ....

For all 23 people still using Squeezebox? 😃
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
More than the 22 moaning about Sonos-Alexa integration?
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Actually, having used it for the Squeezebox, it's a bit of an anti-climax ... nice to have but not really as useful as you might imagine!
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
If you have a multi-device setup, the most useful feature is to get the status of all devices - which are connected, which are playing/stopped and what they are playing. Beyond that, it just becomes a bit laborious compared with remote or web-control ....
More than the 22 moaning about Sonos-Alexa integration?

To tell the truth, I have a soft spot for people who cling to failed products like Squeezebox. It's quite quaint, really. Like the folks who drive Yugos or still use HD-DVD.
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Whatever ... I have a spectrum of sound devices ... including Sonos, Libratone Zipp. Pure Speakers, squeezebox devices (both original or soft) all of which work as players with the squeexebox system including full access to BBC iplayer (including Listen Again). Tunein, Spotify, Deezer, Google Music, local music collection,live radio streams, etc.

Pretty comprehensive access. Control available via web, remote, smartphone, alexa, Sadly the only missing feature is Amazon Music - but then I can switch easiiy to my Echo or Dot for Amazon
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Sonos is Sonos - good in itself, but you are essentially stuck with whatever Sonos gives you. So, you wait in prolonged suspense for whatever Alexa integration you get ... be prepared for a WOW-SHITE! moment (as my brother-in-law described most technological 'advances'). You have an internet connected speaker - how you use it is up to you - Sonos driven or ' open source'. Or both?