Sell Play 5 gen 2 for Era 300?

• 20 February 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge +2

I typically use mine in the yard with the back facing the wall so I’m not sure of it would be an upgrade to swap it out for the Era 300 as with the play 5, all the drivers are forward facing and in the Era 300 it seems like half face the front and the other half face the back. Also, did they release any power ratings to see if it will be as loud as the Play 5 gen 2?

3 replies

Sonos has not ‘released’ anything, the Verge article is all ‘leaked’ information.

Sonos typically doesn’t suggest ‘power ratings’, since their speakers have built in amplifiers, so a ‘power rating’ would be meaningless. 

However, your question about relative volume stands, and is a good one. If one is to believe the article, and I see no reason not to, this speaker slots in below the Sonos Five in the lineup. It’s conceivable that if its ultimate goal is to be used as rear Atmos Speakers, they could be less ‘loud’. We won’t know , however, until they can be purchased and compared. 

Badge +2

Sonos has not ‘released’ anything, the Verge article is all ‘leaked’ information.

Sonos typically doesn’t suggest ‘power ratings’, since their speakers have built in amplifiers, so a ‘power rating’ would be meaningless. 

However, your question about relative volume stands, and is a good one. If one is to believe the article, and I see no reason not to, this speaker slots in below the Sonos Five in the lineup. It’s conceivable that if its ultimate goal is to be used as rear Atmos Speakers, they could be less ‘loud’. We won’t know , however, until they can be purchased and compared. 

Yea that makes sense the more I think about it.

Badge

I typically use mine in the yard with the back facing the wall so I’m not sure of it would be an upgrade to swap it out for the Era 300 as with the play 5, all the drivers are forward facing and in the Era 300 it seems like half face the front and the other half face the back. Also, did they release any power ratings to see if it will be as loud as the Play 5 gen 2?

I think there will be a replacement for the 5 on direction punch power. I wouldn’t actually need or want 360 speakers for my setup it be inside or outside as the deflection angles right behind the speaker would upset any balance. Plus needs mains power of course and unfortunately thats not invisible.

Good move to sell a connector with a headphone jack, although I’m still fining the headphone jack and usb C to usb C works a treat on my Roam SLs.

There will be plenty trusted hands on reviews as soon as these are available, I’m happy to run through test and feedback comparison tot 5s as part of the. Sonos Beta if they would like to consider it ;))