Roam stops playing music

Hi my Roam arrived today. I have other Sonos speakers so pretty familiar with the set up etc. However, my roam keeps stopping playing the music from Apple Music after a few seconds to a minute in. This happened on WiFi and Bluetooth mode. When it does this, my iPhone tells me the music is still playing but no sound is coming from the roam or my phone. I’m with Talktalk and the router doesn’t show an internet problem. I can’t figure it out. On occasion, the speaker just turns off (no leds on at all). Then when I switch it back on, the playlist is wiped. It’s fully charged and does this when plugged in and when running off battery. Is it a duff and I need a replacement? 

27 replies

The only way Sonos can advise you if it is a defective speaker is if you submit a diagnostic, and either call them with that number, or post the number here. 

Before doing so, I would recommend a full factory reset of the device, just to see if that ‘fixes’ the problem. 

I already try rebooting roam, and also re- setup roam. But the problem ( stop playing ) still exist. And also all sonos app already up to date. 

I needed to return mine. Ran tons of diagnostics, factory reboot etc etc. Still not working so it’s been returned. Annoying. I can see others have had same issue so I probs won’t get another one. 

I too am having much the same issues and this has been from day one. despite numerous diagnostics being sent still no further on. Although I am a long time Sonos user with fourteen other devices I am seriously considering moving away after such a bad customer service experience!

Really, really frustrated!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ritchieone 

So you know, we do not get notified if you submit a diagnostic - you must also get in touch with technical support for the diagnostics to be looked at.

My Sonos roam stops playing music just after a couple of seconds, it’s been like this since we bought it. Did a factory reset and it didn’t work, we moved apartments and therefore changed wifi also nothing happened. The exact same problem keeps going on.

When I go to technical support there’s no solution neither an email I can reach out to…

I submited a support diagnostics number is: 60570415.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @AdrianFernandez 

The diagnostic number is not recognised, and the page where I can look at all of your diagnostics shows none at all. 

I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team directly - I recommend calling. If you can’t call during opening hours, start a chat instead - if there is no-one available at the time, you will receive email support in reply later.

Apologies a missed one digit. This is the right number: I submited a support diagnostics number is: 605704715.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @AdrianFernandez 

Thanks. Unfortunately, at the moment you submitted the diagnostic, your phone/tablet wasn’t connected to the Sonos system and so the diagnostic contains very little information. 

Can you please try again when the Roam shows in the app? Thanks.

Have you tried playing from another device - another phone or a tablet? Is the behaviour the same? Also, does the Roam perform the same regardless of the source?

Please also share as many details about your network as you can (it, not devices on it), starting with your router model and manufacturer. Thanks.

I downloaded the app first on my iPhone and now on my iPad and continue to have the same problem.

I also submitted a new report from my iPad: 1955476634.

Thank you for your help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @AdrianFernandez 

The Roam has only been on for 10 minutes, and no audio interruptions are reported.

However, it is reporting on some things that indicate a likely fault with the unit.

Please get in touch with our technical support team so they can explore replacement options with you - be sure to mention that the same happened on a second network and you’ve already tried a factory reset. Thanks.

i have the same issue. music stoped playing on the roam after few second. i have reboot several times + factory reset. tested with 2 iphones, one android, one laptop and ipad. same problem. first and last time i buy a sonos !!!

i have the same issue. music stoped playing on the roam after few second. i have reboot several times + factory reset. tested with 2 iphones, one android, one laptop and ipad. same problem. first and last time i buy a sonos !!!

The post here needs a bit more detail if you perhaps wish to resolve this ‘likely network’ issue…

• What connection are you using, Bluetooth, Airplay, Connect via App (such as Spotify), or just a general WiFi direct link (via Sonos App)?
  • Where are the music tracks playing from? 
  • If you are using WiFi, what band, channel and channel-width are you using?

Hi, I ve tried everything, both BT, wifi on 2.4 and 5 ghz from all devices. Locally stored, deezer, Amazon music... 

Music is playing but no sound + impossible to power on and off the roam, no tone sounds on the roam, sometimes light displaying sometimes not. Globally not working

Thanks

610527868 troubleshooting number

Hi, I ve tried everything, both BT, wifi on 2.4 and 5 ghz from all devices. Locally stored, deezer, Amazon music... 

Music is playing but no sound + impossible to power on and off the roam, no tone sounds on the roam, sometimes light displaying sometimes not. Globally not working

Thanks

In this instance, you are perhaps best to contact/chat to the Sonos Support Staff (during opening hours) via this LINK.

I too am having much the same issues and this has been from day one. despite numerous diagnostics being sent still no further on. Although I am a long time Sonos user with fourteen other devices I am seriously considering moving away after such a bad customer service experience!

Really, really frustrated!!

I am in exactly the same boat and now it’s dropping out after 1 second and I’m travelling with a completely useless system that won’t even do a factory reset!

Has anyone ever resolved these issues? Or hav you all just returned the product? I’m SO frustrated with it that I’m seriously contemplating giving up on SONOS all together!

I changed brand from BOSE to SONOS due to their quality - I love my home system, but the Roam has been the most frustrating product to use!

Has anyone ever resolved these issues? Or hav you all just returned the product? I’m SO frustrated with it that I’m seriously contemplating giving up on SONOS all together!

I changed brand from BOSE to SONOS due to their quality - I love my home system, but the Roam has been the most frustrating product to use!

The two Roams I have here are working fine and without issue. I often take one away when travelling and use it both on WiFi and Bluetooth all the time and it works a treat. 

If you’re having some difficulty with your device then perhaps contact Sonos Support and give them an outline of what’s happening together with a diagnostic report reference from the App and then take it from there.

You can contact the Staff via this LINK.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Has anyone found a sollution? My Roam cuts off using Airplay, BT, Alexa is not working as it should be and I made several factory resets without positive results, even rebut my network hardware, it’s so frustrating ! It often disappears  from my Sonos app and it’s very unresponsive using Apple Music from the Sonos app, all other devices don’t have Wifi issues and I’m afraid it’s a hardware issue because this is the second unit that I have. This is a diagnostic playing music from Apple Music 5 6 1 4 6 6 1 0 6

Has anyone found a sollution? My Roam cuts off using Airplay, BT, Alexa is not working as it should be and I made several factory resets without positive results, even rebut my network hardware, it’s so frustrating ! It often disappears  from my Sonos app and it’s very unresponsive using Apple Music from the Sonos app, all other devices don’t have Wifi issues and I’m afraid it’s a hardware issue because this is the second unit that I have. This is a diagnostic playing music from Apple Music 5 6 1 4 6 6 1 0 6

If you have the Roam setup for use with the 5Ghz WiFi band only and your router broadcasts two separate SSID’s for the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands, then try the Roam on the 2.4Ghz band as that has more penetration and reach and see if that improves it connection over wireless.

You need to provide some more details about your Alexa and BT connections not working before any suggestions can be made about those two things, perhaps describe the setup and what you’re seeing. Briefly describe what happens and what error messages are seen. Perhaps also state the services and any other hardware that are involved and outline the steps needed to perhaps try to reproduce the issues.

My new Roam stops playing Apple music. When I Apple Music in my Roam and It’s  selected via AirPlay, just sounds for 1 second and the music stop being heard, keeps playing in the mobile device there is no sound in the Roam. But it works fine with Spotify or Amazon Music, or also using the Sonos App. It happens in all my IOS devices. I have other Sonos one devices and this does not happen on them. Any suggestion?  

My new Roam stops playing Apple music. When I Apple Music in my Roam and It’s  selected via AirPlay, just sounds for 1 second and the music stop being heard, keeps playing in the mobile device there is no sound in the Roam. But it works fine with Spotify or Amazon Music, or also using the Sonos App. It happens in all my IOS devices. I have other Sonos one devices and this does not happen on them. Any suggestion?  

Yes, it sounds rather like you may have installed the new HomeKit upgrade that Apple has recently ‘pulled’ after so many issues were reported to them - see this link for a suggested solution mentioned by Sonos Staff:

Apple Airplay Issue

Yes, it sounds rather like you may have installed the new HomeKit upgrade that Apple has recently ‘pulled’ after so many issues were reported to them - see this link for a suggested solution mentioned by Sonos Staff:

Apple Airplay Issue

Thanks Ken for your help, but I’m not using Homekit at all, nothing is installed. 

Thanks Ken for your help, but I’m not using Homekit at all, nothing is installed. 

Here too are some suggestions from Apple sources to fix problems with Airplay connections:

• Restart all devices and try to AirPlay again
  • Remove and reinstall the App being used for Airplay on the sending device 
  • Toggle off Bluetooth, or if already off, try turning it ‘on’ on the sending device 
  • Turn off Cellular Data
  • Disconnect from any other Bluetooth devices (like speakers)
  • Connect to the same WiFi network access point
  • Reset your network settings on your iDevice in Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings
  • Disable ‘Private Address’ MAC Spoofing in the iOS Network connection 
  • Disable WiFi calling.
  • Update iOS, and speaker firmware/software
  • Move your devices away from other electronics and closer to the main router
  • Renew your devices DHCP lease via the router configuration pages or better still, reboot the router.
  • Switch off any Security/VPN software installed on the sending (mobile) device