Answered

Roam SL without wifi

I am trying to find out if it’s even possible to find out the battery level without WiFi connected. The app does not let you see anything about the device without WiFi. This is really a huge drawback for a portable speaker. 

anyone know?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 22 January 2023, 01:38

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

If you have the Roam BT paired to a mobile device, then just open the S2 App and goto the System/Rooms tab to see its battery level… neither the Roam, or the mobile device, needs to be connected to WiFi to view its battery state, they just need to be paired and connected to each other. (see screenshot attached).

unfortunately this information is not available on a MacBook running macOS Ventura 😌

unfortunately this information is not available on a MacBook running macOS Ventura 😌

The MAC & PC Sonos Apps have been in ‘maintenance mode’ for a good many months, so only the mobile Apps have been getting new features - many of the setup and administration features have been removed from the desktop Apps too - quite a few things are currently unavailable. It’s clear the majority of users have turned to mobile phones and tablets for Sonos setup & control.

I am using the Sonos app on iPhone. It seems you HAVE to be connected to WIFI for the app to do anything. When the device first starts up and flashes white light, which to me indicates it’s looking for Wi-Fi then after it’s connected, it gives a solid blue light to let you know the Bluetooth connection is active.

this is very disappointing as I am 99% of the time without Wi-Fi and in order for me to get Wi-Fi I need to make a concerted effort to go to a coffee shop or something as I am constantly on the move and do not have WiFi where I live  

My device does not even show up in the application if it’s not connected to Wi-Fi

@Speakerhelp,
Have you got the Roam BT paired to the iPhone - can you play music to it? Perhaps do that and then open the App from a fully closed state.

If you look back at my screenshot my mobile was not connected to WiFi and I was able to see the Roams BT connection and it’s battery state.

I have the device set up and it works but I cannot use the app unless it’s connected to Wi-Fi. When I called tech-support, they confirmed that you have to have Wi-Fi to use the app. It’s just really annoying how long it takes for the device to start up power down and do anything because it’s trying to search for a Wi-Fi signal, I bought this is a portable Bluetooth speaker but it’s more like a tracking device I think. I specifically bought the SL because I don’t want any of the connected features.

I have the device set up and it works but I cannot use the app unless it’s connected to Wi-Fi. When I called tech-support, they confirmed that you have to have Wi-Fi to use the app. It’s just really annoying how long it takes for the device to start up power down and do anything because it’s trying to search for a Wi-Fi signal, I bought this is a portable Bluetooth speaker but it’s more like a tracking device I think. I specifically bought the SL because I don’t want any of the connected features.

In my case the Sonos App just shows the battery level for the Roam when not connected to WiFi - but you can’t otherwise use the App, if there’s no WiFi connection - the App is not a ‘music player’, it’s merely a WiFi ‘remote’ for controlling playback to the Sonos speakers when they’re on WiFi  - it can’t be used for playing Bluetooth audio.

I use various native Apps, which are ‘players’ in the same way for every other bluetooth speaker. I use quite a few iOS Apps, including Amazon Music, Deezer, YouTube, Podcasts, Netflix, Prime Movies etc. with the audio output directed to the ‘paired’ Roam over Bluetooth.

That’s what I wish mine would do. All I wanna do is see the battery level but it doesn’t show me.

does yours also take about up to 30 seconds to get the blue light to pair with a device? Mine will start playing the audio a little earlier but it won’t be officially paired for about 30 seconds and I’ll have the flashing white light which I assume means it’s trying to look for Wi-Fi and report its location 

With iPhone mobile and Roam (called ‘Vortex’) away from our Wifi, in my recording here below, it takes about 15 seconds (give or take) to power up (from fully off state) and switch to the paired Bluetooth connection - if I then switch to the Sonos App immediately the battery level shows up straightaway too.

The short answer to the longer 15+ seconds startup time, from a Roams fully powered ‘off’ state, of course, is to leave the Roam on a Qi charger, when available and/or just use ‘sleep mode’ off its charger and leave the ‘battery saver’ feature ‘disabled’, so that it then wakes from sleep instead, in a second or two, rather than using its fully powered off state to save power. It will then startup and connect as quickly as this:

I wish mine had success like that. I’ve decided to return it and get a Bose or JBL speaker instead. This WiFi required setup and then always looking for it is not what I can handle for its intended use. Hopefully one day I’ll try again. The sound was quite good

thanks for everyone’s help