Skip to main content
Answered

Roam Bluetooth/Wifi Handoff

• 21 April 2021
  • 6 replies

So I picked up a new Roam today and having a hard time understanding this whole Bluetooth/Wifi handoff procedure. Everything I’ve read is that if you’re listening to Roam on Wifi and then venture outside your Wifi reach then Roam will “seamlessly” and “without user interaction” switch over to Bluetooth. Ok, but what will it be playing? When I’m on wifi I’m streaming music through the Sonos S2 app. Once out of wifi the Sonos app loses connection and is no longer available as a streamer. I need to switch to another app such as Apple Music or Tidal. 

Also, when I switched the Roam intentionally to Bluetooth and stream to it via Apple Music I can still group it with my Sonos wifi speakers (cool trick) but the swap feature doesn’t seem to work. That only seems to work if I’m playing wifi content. Similarly, if I’m Airplaying music to the Roam I am unable to use the Swap feature. 

I’m very confused about what to expect from these features. If anyone can shed some light I’d really appreciate it. Cheers. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Roam Audio Swap

• TV, AirPlay, and Bluetooth audio cannot be swapped which means both the Roam and other Sonos speaker must be on the network.
  • Audio cannot be swapped with Play:1, Play:3, Play:5 (Gen 1), Port, Connect, or Connect:Amp.
  • You can swap audio with Amp if it’s connected to Sonos Architectural speakers.

Roam Push Audio

1. While Roam is playing content, hold Roam close to the Sonos product you want to push audio to.
  2. Press and hold Roam’s Play/Pause button until you hear the third tone, then release. You’ll now hear the audio playing on your other product.
  • The upside is that the Roam can be used as a gateway to play Bluetooth audio to other Sonos speakers.  As long as the Roam and the source device remain within range.

Roam Switch from Wi-Fi to Bluetooth and vise versa

• This a convenience feature not requiring user interaction 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

The first statement is wrong as I’ve managed to switch audio to my beam & arc. I admit it doesn’t work with my play3s & therefore deduced from that I would probably go as far as to say they do not work on the play1,3 & 5. The auto switching doesn’t seem to work on mine 

The first statement is wrong as I’ve managed to switch audio to my beam & arc. I admit it doesn’t work with my play3s & therefore deduced from that I would probably go as far as to say they do not work on the play1,3 & 5. The auto switching doesn’t seem to work on mine 

The first statement refers to swapping ‘TV’ audio, is that the type of audio you managed to swap? - I can’t get that to work here, I’m only able to swap general ‘music’ audio between the Roam and the Arc/Beam. The Roam allows for push-button ‘grouping’ with TV audio, but that’s a different thing.

Additional details

• TV, AirPlay, and Bluetooth audio cannot be swapped.
  • Roam’s microphone LED will light up when swapping audio as it’s used to detect nearby products.
  • Audio cannot be swapped with Play:1, Play:3, Play:5 (Gen 1), Port, Connect, or Connect:Amp. You can swap audio with Amp if it’s connected to Sonos Architectural speakers.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4990?language=en_US

Userlevel 2
Badge +2
  • Audio cannot be swapped with Play:1, Play:3, Play:5 (Gen 1), Port, Connect, or Connect:Amp. You can swap audio with Amp if it’s connected to Sonos Architectural speakers.

Does anyone know the exact technical limitation for this one please - I suspected it might be something to do with Bluetooth LE but realised the Sonos One (Gen1) lacks BLE and is supported, also I can’t understand what the architectural speakers add to make the Amp compatible in terms of hardware?

edit: found the answer!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pocket-lint.com/speakers/news/sonos/156050-what-is-sonos-sound-swap-how-does-it-work-and-which-speakers-is-it-available-on.amphtml

Sonos Sound Swap works when the Sonos Roam is on Wi-Fi. When on Wi-Fi and the play/pause button on Roam has been pressed and held (for about five seconds), the speaker will prompt other Sonos speakers on your network to emit an ultrasonic frequency sound.

Does anyone know the exact technical limitation for this one please - I suspected it might be something to do with Bluetooth LE but realised the Sonos One (Gen1) lacks BLE and is supported, also I can’t understand what the architectural speakers add to make the Amp compatible in terms of hardware?

edit: found the answer!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pocket-lint.com/speakers/news/sonos/156050-what-is-sonos-sound-swap-how-does-it-work-and-which-speakers-is-it-available-on.amphtml

Sonos Sound Swap works when the Sonos Roam is on Wi-Fi. When on Wi-Fi and the play/pause button on Roam has been pressed and held (for about five seconds), the speaker will prompt other Sonos speakers on your network to emit an ultrasonic frequency sound.

• The first ‘bleep’ on the Roam’s play/pause button is to …er… play/pause the audio
  • The second ‘bleep’ on its play/pause button is ‘room grouping’ - Roam cycles through other playing rooms on the network …and on release the Roam will group with that chosen (playing) room.
  • The third ‘bleep’ on the play/pause button is for use with SoundSwap, as you mention.