Skip to main content

I have been using 2 Play 5’s (gen 1) as a stereo pair for a couple of years without problem. The other day, one speaker seemed to ‘disappear’ from the system. I have tried a set-up, both through the app and via an ethernet cable and router, but with no joy. One speaker still works fine, but the one that ‘disappeared’ doesn’t. On the top, the button that looks like a speaker with a forward slash through it is constantly flashing….Help please|

millwall mall,

It is not entirely clear from your post, but It sounds like you may have ‘possibly’ pressed the Play/Pause for too long at some point and set the speaker to capture a diagnostic dump… but a flashing status light can sometimes mean there maybe a hardware fault too, in some circumstances. 

My suggestion would be to power off the speaker and try the factory reset process one more time using these instructions…

1. With the problem speaker powered off, first open the Sonos App and ensure you can see your ‘other’ working  powered on speaker and can play to it … Also check for any Sonos updates.
  2. Wire the faulty speaker direct to your router and whilst holding down the play/pause button, power it on. Keep the button pressed until you see the status light flashing amber and then let go the button. All being well after a short time the status light will switch to a flashing green status light.
  3. In the sonos App goto "Settings/Add Product’ and follow the onscreen instructions to hopefully setup your speaker. If everything works at this stage I would recommend you Submit a Sonos Diagnostic and make a note of the reference.
  4. Now uncable the speaker from the router and see if it now works… if it fails when uncabled, post the diagnostic reference back here in this thread and then contact Sonos Customer Care and ask them to take a look to see if there is a hardware issue. 

Hope you get it working. 👍