Peel Sonos letters off Sonos roam grille?

• 18 December 2021
  • 9 replies

Badge

EDIT: I proofread the text, but obviously not the title: “Peel SONOS lettering off Roam grille?”

First, I’ve been looking through the forums here and have seen all kinds of issues with the Roam, and I’m happy to say that mine has been working flawlessly. I’m pretty thrilled with it, and I’m thinking about getting a second to stereo-pair .

Forgive my possibly sacrilegious question, but I have to ask it:

I want to peel off / remove the white S O N O S  lettering from the front of my Roam unit. Why, you may ask? I have this thing about labels. This one is pretty nice, as they go, but in the long run I’d rather not have to see those white letters every single time I glance at the speaker. Some of you will understand.

Has anyone attempted this? I don’t want to screw up the grille appearance in any way. Not sure if they were glued on, and what the cosmetic result would be after an attempt to surgically remove them.

Any feedback would be appreciated, even if you’re reading this months from now. I’m in no rush, not a big deal, it’s just a little thing that I’d like to do.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

How about putting a piece of material over it? Black electrical tape would work, you could go fancier.

Badge

How about putting a piece of material over it? Black electrical tape would work, you could go fancier.

Yep, that’s my typical fallback. But since it’s something that I’d handle a lot over time, moving from here to there, the edges of the tape will pick up all kinds of gunk, so it wouldn’t be my first choice. But thanks :-)

What would “fancier” be?

Userlevel 7

I imagine those letters are pretty permanent. Whatever you attempt to do will probably leave residue or damage. If the letters are attached with an adhesive, you could try a blow dryer, but I would be surprised if it worked.

Badge

I imagine those letters are pretty permanent. Whatever you attempt to do will probably leave residue or damage. If the letters are attached with an adhesive, you could try a blow dryer, but I would be surprised if it worked.

Those are my thoughts and fears exactly :-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Better quality tape, Dymo or other printing tape maybe?

Paint is always an option, maybe a light sanding to roughen the surface. Model paint would give you a lot of color choices or even mixing an exact match.

I’vge lived with my Sonos labels since 2006 and they don’t bother me much.

Badge

Better quality tape, Dymo or other printing tape maybe?

Paint is always an option, maybe a light sanding to roughen the surface. Model paint would give you a lot of color choices or even mixing an exact match.

I’vge lived with my Sonos labels since 2006 and they don’t bother me much.

The tape or scrape option doesn’t seem quite doable. I’m hoping that someone sees this thread in the future who has actually tried to do surgery, I want to see if it was successful, but I doubt it.

Again, this is a small-issue fwp, but I just don’t like looking at labels of any kind over the long run (though the Sonos logo is quite a nice one as they go). I also don’t want to get an off-white Roam unit because it would just get nicked and scratched and dirtier than the black version over time.

I have the same ›logophobia‹ (although I like and respect the Sonos logo) → I already payed for the product, no need to advertise it to me every time I look at it … especially in and around my home.

I’ve looked at some tear downs to get a glance at the inside of the grille. To me it looks like the logo is stuck into the grille with tiny white pins.

You could try to pull it off with some small pliers (perhaps also add some heat if there’s adhesive behind the letters).

If someone tried, please let us know! 

Userlevel 7

I’m just going to throw in my two cents... 

First, I’d refrain from using the term “logophobia” because by definition it is described as a profound, persistent, and abnormal fear of words. Sometimes, it is also called an eccentric condition”. Learn more about “logophobia” at this link.

Second, Manufaturers logo’s or “Branding” doesn’t bother me. Every product you buy has an identifier;  be it words or a symbol (like Apple).

What does irk me is an auto dealer placing their sticker on a vehicle I purchase. I make it a point to have it removed. My words to the sales person are “I’ve bought the vehicle (or at least the bank and I have). So therefore if you want me to provide free adverting everywhere I go then we need to negotiate an acceptable price reduction. I also don’t display any license plate frame reflecting the dealership.

With respect to the SONOS logo, the hole spacing is different under the logo. If you remove the logo there will be an obvious “something is missing” where the logo was mounted..