Answered

Move - standby question

• 24 September 2019
  • 28 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

28 replies

Just spent our first pool day with a pair of Move’s I received on Friday.  First of all these are great speakers and being able to connect via our WIFI is awesome.  No more bluetooth speakers dropping out and these did not disappoint.  Battery life we averaged about 6 hours of use in each speaker, the volume went from 6 to 10 pretty much all day long at the pool.  As things wound down I had to go grab the charging cradles to keep the party going.  Very happy.

twuk,

I'm still playing with my new Sonos 'Move'. I personally think it’s brilliant. I have been gathering together some information about it and here is what I have found so far...

My understanding is that when the “Move” is sat on its 'powered-on' charger loop, it behaves like any other indoor Sonos speaker and is in a 'wait state' and ready to play at any point. There is no automatic'standby'/'power-off' whilst the charger loop is supplying it with AC power.

When the 'Move’ is off its charger loop and running on its built-in battery, then I understand it's 'power state' behaves differently when not playing. It has two 'power-down' states, one of which I will perhaps call “standby or sleep mode” and the other is “powered off” completely.

• The 'Move' can be put into standby/sleep mode, by a single quick press on the top rear power button.
  • The 'Move' can be powered off by a long (5+ second) press on the same power button.
  • The 'Move' running on battery seems to fall into 'standby/sleep mode' after approx. 30 minutes of inactivity. I don’t know if it then powers off completely, but suspect it would, particularly if the battery reaches a low point where it needs to be re-charged.

I think when the speaker is 'powered off' it can be brought back to life by either placing it back on the charger loop or pressing it's power button on the rear (assuming the battery hasn’t drained).

When it’s running on battery and in standby/sleep mode I have found the 'Move' can be woken in these different ways...

1. By returning it to the charger loop
  2. By pressing the rear top power button
  3. By simply opening the Sonos App connected to the same Sonos Household. (The App must have been closed completely not just brought into focus on screen for that to actually work).
  4. It may also wake itself up to receive updates (not sure, but have seen that mentioned online?)

So this is from the things I have read and played with so far, but you may need to just double check the information, as presumably things maybe subject to change to what some users have already mentioned online.

You may also find the following information helpful about the three buttons on the rear of the 'Move' device...

Power Button (Top)

• A short press will put the 'Move' to sleep
  • A long press will power off the 'Move' completely

Wifi/BT button (Middle)

• A short press will toggle Bluetooth mode or WiFi mode
  • A long press in BT mode will enable it's BT pairing mode

Infinity Button (Bottom)

• A short press will start pairing mode for the Controller connection during initial setup.
  • A long press will activate a snapshot button Diagnostic (you will see the LED switching colors, press the same button once more to get out of this mode). I’m still trying to find out more about this particular feature.

Anyhow I hope that information helps you with understanding your new Sonos device.

I’m sure we will ALL discover even more about this new Sonos product in the coming days and weeks.

After my Sonos Move goes to ‘stand-by’ mode the only way to turn it back on is by pressing power button at the back. Going to the app doesn't wake it up and its not available otherwise. Thats really annoying as I have to physically turn it on every time. Any solutions?

After my Sonos Move goes to ‘stand-by’ mode the only way to turn it back on is by pressing power button at the back. Going to the app doesn't wake it up and its not available otherwise. Thats really annoying as I have to physically turn it on every time. Any solutions?

Have you tried fully closing the Sonos App (sliding it off screen) and then opening it from its fully closed state, to see if that works? If it fails, I would next try a reboot of the router and also power off the Move (hold top power button for 5+ seconds until you hear the shutdown jingle) and power it back on again and retry.

Hope that sorts it for you,