Move pair PT II. Any way to identify Left and Right??

There is a locked thread with an unacceptable answer (put a sticker :D)

I simply searched “surround test” from Youtube and played “5.1 Dolby Surround Test”.

The lady kindly announces “This is the right/left surround channel” from the specific speaker, and it was easy to switch the places (which were of course wrong way around after moving the house)…

Same applies for stereo pairs, equivalent stereo tests exist. Or then just use balance as somebody indicated in the “sticker thread”…

10 replies

Userlevel 7

In the Sonos app, go the the EQ settings for the Moves and adjust the Balance slider to the left and right.

In stereo pair, you are absolutely correct! And better than the sticker as well!

In surround setting that is not available, nor would be feasible or easy to test with regular streaming material 😊

Userlevel 7

In stereo pair, you are absolutely correct! And better than the sticker as well!

In surround setting that is not available, nor would be feasible or easy to test with regular streaming material 😊

Hi

Not understanding the point of your last statement as Moves cannot be used as surround speakers. As far as identifying left/right or vise versa the best way is to use a sticker under the bottom (IMO).

For example…if you move the Moves to a different location as long as they are connected to Wi-Fi they will maintain their left/right designation. The problem you may have is identifying the left/right when they are in their new location. Sure you can open the App and move the slider but if you want to forgo that just use a sticker underneath one or both with a letter R (right) L (left). I’ve moved my Moves while they are streaming and placed them correctly just by glancing at the sticker underneath 😉

Maybe because English is not my native language; I was speaking of moving a pair (of Sonos One or Sonos One SL, like marked in the tags), whether it’s stereo pair or surround set.

So not speaking of the product Sonos Move. 

Sorry for the confusion. I don’t seem to be able to edit the original message...

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@daBowmore 

Thanks for clarifying… 

But as a result imo the answer is the same as @AjTrek1 told. Especially in case of rearspeakers there is no slider option. 
So just put a sticker on and everything is fine. Most people might not think about that at all as the usual usecase isn’t changing the position of fixed speakers many times. 😉

While I get that people may not like the sticker idea, as it doesn’t feel ‘techy’ enough, I think this would be the preferred option for most people.  If I’m moving my Sonos Ones around, I don’t want to go through the effort of plugging it in, waiting for it to boot and get connected to the network, pull up the youtube surround sound test….only to release I have the speakers in the incorrect position and need to start all over again.  A sticker, or piece of tape, on the bottom tells exactly where everything needs to go before I’ve even plugged anything in.

With a stereo pair of Roams, and I suspect Move 2 as well, it’s fairly quick to setup a stereo pair.  If one of the pair is removed from the network, the stereo pair is already broken.  When both are back on the network, you  have to through the process of pairing, which is fairly quick for these devices.  The pair process will have an audio ping on one of the speakers, and you can specify whether that speaker is left or right.  So you don’t really need to put a sticker on the portables.

For me, it’s not about that “stickers are not techy enough”, but once we had moved houses, without the stickers, it’s tad too late for the sticker approach :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

For me, it’s not about that “stickers are not techy enough”, but once we had moved houses, without the stickers, it’s tad too late for the sticker approach :)

Ok, so the balance slider for a stereo pair would be the best option. For rearspeakers a test audio file can help indeed, but just removing and bonding again the rears is done quickly. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Feeling sad nobody lies the sticker option.

Let me offer a much worse one so it sounds better. :-)

You could carve a big R or L into the grill with an angle grinder.

An actual option, stickerless, is to assign static/reserved IP addresses to your Sonos and give them good names like LR-RR, LR-LR, LR-ARC and LR-S. Then you can pop open your router’s DHCP settings page and match the MAC address on the speaker to the room and position name there.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

LOL… 😂 This thread is becoming a very creative list of how getting easy things complicated. 😉