Skip to main content

Is it me or is the Move battery life ridiculously bad ?

I have owned many portables (Harmon Kardon, JBL, Jawbone). 

They all make the battery life on my new Move a joke. How can a premium product so bad ?

Move’s battery will last for up to 11 hours of uninterrupted playback. Pausing, volume level, Bluetooth, heat exposure, and other factors will cause battery life to fluctuate. If left off the charging base and unused, the battery will last about 120 hours.

Do you keep your Move on the charging base when not in use?

Thanks for the response Superstar.

I have been using it indoors almost all of the time since I got it for Christmas. I often leave multiple days for work and I take it off the charging stand and let it drain. I also am pretty good at not leaving it on the charging stand when fully charged.

Being an older guy, I am still of the belief that batteries are somewhat conditioned. I have always known it to be good to let the battery fully drain and then fully charge it at times. 

I think I must have a defective battery. If the Move is not on the stand...and not on, it is dead as a doornail in about two days. 

I will try and clock it so I can be more specific when communicating in the future. Plus, if the battery should keep power while off for 5 days, I should probably see if Sonos will replace it. It has never kept a charge for half that time.

Again, thanks !

It is ok to leave the Move on the charging base when not in use. It is designed to stay on the charging base without reducing the battery’s lifespan.

Being an older guy, I am still of the belief that batteries are somewhat conditioned. I have always known it to be good to let the battery fully drain and then fully charge it at times. 

This is not required and is in fact counterproductive for Lithium Polymer batteries. They do not exhibit hysteresis like older battery technologies, and in general one should try not to discharge below about 40%. It’s entirely safe to leave a Move on its charging base for extended periods: the software & hardware will manage the battery’s health.

I have always known it to be good to let the battery fully drain and then fully charge it at times.

Unfortunately that’s the wrong thing to do with Lithium Ion batteries. That type of battery is worn out (slowly) by complete discharge. They suffer much less degradation if they are simply left on a (good quality) charger, all of the time, because the charger is designed to recognise when a battery is fully charged - and they simply scale back the charge current when that has happened.

There is no “memory effect” to worry about with lithium ion batteries.

As pwt says, you should not discharge them too deeply - one of the main reasons being that heat is the enemy of that type of battery, and the deeper they are discharged, the hotter they get when you recharge them.