Move: Battery Drain Test

Userlevel 7

Still testing.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

127 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Day 3 results - 86% remaining.  Played some music to my Amp (Lounge) zone yesterday.  Move showed as offline when I did so.

14% in 3 days in a supposedly off state is a rather high self-discharge rate for a Li-Ion or Li-Polymer battery.  I never observed it as being online in the app when I used it with other Sonos speakers and it was always off when and I hard to turn it back on to check the level in the morning before I posted.  Doesn’t rule out that it doesn’t come on overnight but it was never my observation.  However if its not coming on overnight, I don’t know what explains that discharge rate - is the battery not lithium-ion?

One other thing to note, I was in WiFi mode.  After this mornings level check I immediately turned it off.  Decided to turn it back on again.  The light blinks as it boots up and it takes a few seconds to connect to wifi as it is powered on.  In doing so the battery level was now at 85%,  So just the bootup process used 1% of power (or the 86% reading was right on the cusp of 85-85 ).  So I did another test, right after I powered down (via 5 second push and sound effect), I powered back up 2nd time to try and gauge battery used in a boot-up/connect to wifi sequence but the battery was still at 85% so booting up doesn’t eat that much power on its own.

It would be interesting what the self-discharge rate is if left in bluetooth mode only and this same test is performed over a few days.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Day 4 results 81% remaining - I didn’t get a chance to use the Move yesterday due to rain so have some results.  Nothing much to say - its seems to be losing ~5% a night while supposedly completely off.

I have never observed it turn on on its owns but that is a fairly bad self-discharge rate.  I hope this is a bug and not as designed as I do want to use this for car camping/RVing and might stowe it off charger while travelling to campsites.

This was from a new Move I took delivery of June 5th so the battery shouldn’t be aged.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I did a less controlled test! After using the Move last night, it was down at 32% at 1.01am. I turned it off completely so it was showing up as “offline” in the Sonos app.

I just turned it back on, at 6.51pm, so almost 18 hours later, and the battery is showing 15%, so it’s lost ~1% per hour while supposedly off.

Running S2, and I was using the rest of the system throughout today but the Move always showed as “offline”.

Really disappointing.

@Ryan S 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

When supposedly completely off I would expect almost zero discharge from a Li-Ion battery over 3 days but even call it 1—2%, something just isn't right with 14% discharge over 3 days.

When properly ‘off', there should be no real power usage or any expectation of WOL ‘listening' or the ability to wake from App.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

@jamrolu, when you turned it back on, did it seem like it was waking up from being in standby or from being turned off? The team is working on an issue where sometimes the Move will power back on after it’s been shut off, which has caused some issues with these tests.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@Ryan S how do I tell the difference? Is there an amount of time or a chime or whatever which would make this clear? The app showed it as offline before I turned it on.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

@Ryan S how do I tell the difference? Is there an amount of time or a chime or whatever which would make this clear? The app showed it as offline before I turned it on.

If it was powered off, the lights on top would flash white as it’s booting up and it would take a little while to show up. If it was in standby, it would come up right away, likely with no lights flashing on top. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thanks @Ryan S - in this particular example it booted up.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Just registering my interest in this as I’d like to get a Move but not with the sort of battery discharge being reported. If I get one, it will be for the bathroom and will be powered off for a week probably between each use as I’d only use it when in the bath and not when having a shower.

Hi All

my Move is four weeks old. Used it in the garden for a few days initially and then left it ‘off’ for a couple of weeks and went to use it again yesterday. 
discovered no battery left and spent the evening trying to understand why that was. 
I seem to have the same problem as everyone in this thread - battery level drops rapidly, even when not is use/turns on when opening the App etc. 
have a lot of other Sonos products which I love so am very disappointed with this issue. 
Move sounds good and is expensive - I paid for sound quality and battery life but am not getting the latter. 

I received my MOVE last week. Charged battery to 100% day one and tested speaker in both wifi and bluetooth modes. Great sound. I was very happy with the purchase…. BUT, battery drained over 4 days to zero. when in complete power off mode. Went to use after 4 days and had to leave in charger to charge up to 100% for 1 hr plus in order to take outdoors for off line use…. aggravating and not up to the anticipated quality of Sonos.

I have reviewed all the posts but have yet to see an official response from Sonos that they are both aware of the issue and are investigating corrective action.

The speaker should perform as well as other devices that use batteries such as Iphone etc. The 11 hrs is a joke for advertising. Plan on 5-6 hours, which, while not bad is ½ of the advertised ….. C’mon Sonos you are better than this.. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Is anyone at Sonos working on this bug?

Ryan S acknowledged it before his retirement from Sonos.  I hope it isn’t in limbo and is actively being looked at.

The Move is a great speaker but it draining power the way it does when supposedly completely powered down is not acceptable for a $400 speaker!

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi folks! I can imagine how inconvenient it is to all of you and we really appreciate your patience. Just to let you know that the issue is open and the designated team are still working on it. We’ll keep you posted here. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi folks! I can imagine how inconvenient it is to all of you and we really appreciate your patience. Just to let you know that the issue is open and the designated team are still working on it. We’ll keep you posted here. 

Thanks Krishma! But please really have to solve this problem as soon as possible!! This is not a cheap product… with good finishing and sound, but annoying battery drain that make me don’t really want to use it! I remembered when I bought the MOVE, I promised to bring and show my friend how good it is and therefore I’ve fully charged it the day before we met. However for some reason I was not available that weekend and therefore we met the next weekend… When I tried to show him the MOVE, the battery was completely drained… and you can imagine how embarrassing that moment was!! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

The longer the silence goes on from Sonos about the Move battery issues, the more I think that it’s not something that can be fixed by software. Really sad because I would have bought one by now if it wasn’t for the battery drain issues.

Just returned mine to SONOS since it is still in the window. If they sort it out, I’ll reconsider.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi folks, thanks for reaching out with the Sonos Community! We greatly appreciate you being a part of the Sonos family. It is our pleasure.
I have some suggestions for you about this issue. First, try to power off the Sonos Move by removing the Move from the charging cradle or USB-C charger. Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds. Wait an additional 5 seconds after powering off the Move then turn on the Move again or place the Move on the charging cradle in the correct orientation. If it is still the same after trying that, I’d suggest trying to reset the Move to its factory settings. After reset, try to observe again and if it’s still the same, call 800-680-2345 from Monday to Friday from 10 am to 9 pm ET to further check and maybe proceed with the replacement same with @revoshift as the investigation is still ongoing and we want you to enjoy your speaker. 

Please let us know if there’s anything else we can help you with. We and the community are always here.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi folks, thanks for reaching out with the Sonos Community! We greatly appreciate you being a part of the Sonos family. It is our pleasure.
I have some suggestions for you about this issue. First, try to power off the Sonos Move by removing the Move from the charging cradle or USB-C charger. Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds. Wait an additional 5 seconds after powering off the Move then turn on the Move again or place the Move on the charging cradle in the correct orientation. If it is still the same after trying that, I’d suggest trying to reset the Move to its factory settings. After reset, try to observe again and if it’s still the same, call 800-680-2345 from Monday to Friday from 10 am to 9 pm ET to further check and maybe proceed with the replacement same with @revoshift as the investigation is still ongoing and we want you to enjoy your speaker. 

Please let us know if there’s anything else we can help you with. We and the community are always here.

The last communications from Sonos staff on this thread said that they were investigating a software issue. Are they still investigating this? Has a solution been found? I’m not sure that resetting the Move to factory settings is going to achieve anything if it is a software issue?

The main problem this device has in my opinion (and I don’t own one yet) is that it loses so much battery life when switched off completely. People who know what they are doing have stated that their Move wasn’t in standby mode, it was completely powered off and still lost a lot of battery life. That is unacceptable for me.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @JohnG666, thanks for reaching out and we appreciate your time here with the community. Resetting is part of the troubleshooting if everything has been tried if it will make any difference and if it’s not, reach out to our phone support team and proceed with the replacement as it shouldn’t be that way while we’re working on it. We understand it is indeed inconvenient and unacceptable. Rest assured that we are doing our best here to make it up to you so you can continue enjoying what you’ve invested with us. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Is there an update from Sonos on this issue? Does this problem exist for a small subset of Move or is every unit affected the same way? I’m considering returning my unit as I find it unacceptable at the price point Sonos positions itself. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @n1c0, welcome to the community, and thanks for reaching out. I understand where you are coming from and we all want the Sonos products like the Move to work smoothly so you can enjoy your music and experience with us so if it’s not acting as it should be, call 800-680-2345 from Monday to Friday 10 am to 9 pm ET to better assist you. Just let us know if you still need anything.

We and the community are always here to help.

Subscribing as I am having same issue. First time I have ever seen a battery (let alone in a $400 device) go from 100% to 0% without use / powered off in less than 1 week. Other than that, love the sound quality and build quality of the Sonos Move. 

Sonos - Please let me know if there is a fix out there or update required for the device. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @Dan CT 2020, welcome to the Sonos Community! Thanks for bringing this up here and let me help you with this. If it’s totally off and you’ve fully charged it before powering off, it should stay as it is. Try to reset the Move to its factory settings if it will make any difference. If not, call 800-680-2345 from Monday to Friday from 10 am to 9 pm ET to better assist you. Hope this helps. We and the community are always here to help.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Another month has past since me last asking about the Move and still nothing has been said about the battery issues that a lot of people are suffering with.

I don’t own a Move yet and won’t until this is explained/sorted. Has anyone actually had their battery issues sorted by going through the reset routines that seem to be the standard scripted answer for this problem?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @JohnG666, thanks for your response. I understand where you are coming from and the Move should work as it is without problems. We’re here to help, isolate, and troubleshoot if there’s a problem and if it’s really needed to be replaced. Also, all purchases from Sonos.com are covered by our money-back guarantee, so you can try our Sonos Move and check it with our Sales team. We and the community are always here to help.