Mounting and hiding cables for Sonos Play:1

• 14 April 2014
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 2
Hi all,
I've just bought a pair of Sonos Play:1 to join my growing family of Sonos products and I'm moving into a new house so while I'm doing first fix I'd like to look at some neat ways to mount and cable these speakers on the wall.
I'd like to avoid seeing cables or plugs, but I dont see any creative solutions out there apart from just taking the standard power cable down through the wall to a remote socket. Hard-wiring into the wall is an option, but by the time you've got a cover plate it's going to look a little unsightly.

Anyone got any creative or neat solutions?

Thanks,
Tom

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1
As educated electrician, as well as a very keen indoor auto dedact home designer, exatly that point is very hard to avoid.
Sometimes I pull the wires over the ceiling, but i takes drilling a hole, which should be considered more than one time.
Another solution that I often use is using the plastic u-rails which are self-adhisive. The wires fits tight and it looks nice.
Running the power cord inside the wall is against the building code in most areas.

There are "clock" or "recessed" outlets that are a little easier to hide than regular outlets. And there are outlets with little doors that are designed to flush mount on desktops or in floors. These are available in different finishes.

If all else fails, a climbing vine might be the answer.
This is one of the few areas where a Sonos speaker has a disadvantage to a regular speaker in my opinion.

It's easy to run regular speaker cable through walls, up in attics or basements, etc. Not so with a powered speaker!

That said, there's always the CONNECT:AMP and a pair of in-ceiling or in-wall speakers if a clean install is the top priority.
We are about install 2 Sonos Play 1 onto wall mount brackets, about 6 ft. from the floor in our bedroom. We too do not like the electrical cord exposure. We’ll have partial electrical wire showing. From the electrical wall outlet 10” from floor, we will use a SlimLine 2241 Flat Plug Extension Cord, 3-Wire, White, 8-Foot extension cord will go into our wall storage, in the wall storage the Sonos Play 1 connection to the extension cord. We will use a 1.5” White Desk Grommet. This will not visual appealing but will work for us.
Here's the 1.5" White Desk Grommet we used.
Normie,

How'd you get past the building/electrical code about having standard electrical wires in your wall?
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
My solution is to install another outlet (recessed if necessary) above the existing outlet and behind where the Sonos is mounted. Fishing Romex up from the box it would have been plugged in to is quite painless and within code.
Too bad POE can't supply enough power to drive wall mounted Play1s as that would be very clean. I agree with bkswain that the Connect Amp and nice wall or ceiling speakers is the right solution for these situations. It's hard to understand why folks would rather struggle with extending power and installing recessed outlets when a simpler solution already exists with the Connect Amp. I guess everybody has different priorities in that regard.
Nezmo,

Thanks, That's exactly what I thought, and was planning on. Was hoping for another solution :)

Upstatemike,

I guess I like the concept of POE, but it would still require me opening up the walls in the house all over, not just in one (or two, stereo pair in the Kitchen) to wire the Cat-6. I guess if I was building new, it would be a lot easier.

But even with the Connect: Amp, I still am punching holes in the wall. I guess it's all a matter of perspective.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
... It's hard to understand why folks would rather struggle with extending power and installing recessed outlets when a simpler solution already exists with the Connect Amp. I guess everybody has different priorities in that regard.

Cost could be a limiting factor for some. The amp is pricey, plus the cost of some speakers.
Userlevel 2
Also, actually, the Play:1 sounds really very good for a speaker of its size. It's very easy get something that mounts more easily, but very hard to find a speaker that size which sounds better.
It's hard to understand why folks would rather struggle with extending power and installing recessed outlets when a simpler solution already exists with the Connect Amp.

The AMP can only be used as source for rear speakers in a 5.1 setup if connected by ethernet to the soundbar. Wireless won't work.