Question

maximum electric power connect amp

• 10 October 2016
  • 4 replies

good morning. Fist, sorry for my english.

I'd need the maximum power consumption of the sonos connect amp, cause I have an specific line 16A 230v only for 6 connect amp, and I found down 2 times in a month. I'd like to know if is for this, or for another reason. Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Hi there, and thanks for posting!
At the moment we do not publicize figures for the CONNECT:AMP while in use, as this can vary dramatically depending on how it is being used. However I did find another thread on our forums containing some discussion on this, please see here for more information: https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/sonos-zoneplayer-energy-consumption-18843/index2.html
Just as a reality check, a 230V 16A supply potentially delivers over 3.6kVA. If a CONNECT:AMP -- of which the OP has six -- were to dissipate 600VA it would surely become a molten heap pretty quickly.

That's not to say that an overly sensitive RCD might not trip.
...At the moment we do not publicize figures for the CONNECT:AMP while in use, as this can vary dramatically depending on how it is being used...
This leading to user-published figures varying dramatically, depending on the user's electrical skills.
Significance aside - what harm could be done if somebody answered this question officially? (Just curious, actually..)
It's about maximum consumption under worst conditions, as I understand it.
I suspect it's all about the "slippery slope" issue. If they answer that question with specifics, then there's more pressure to answer the next one, and the one after that, and suddenly they get hit by a lawsuit for encouraging people to mess with electronics that could hurt them.

Or, conversely, it's a method by which their marketing department feels like they can keep other companies from stealing their "secret sauce". Despite the fact that any competent engineer, likely in the employ of the other company, could pretty much deconstruct and do a full rebuild. But that's a marketing stance for you.

I've given up on questioning these kinds of decisions. They make sense to somebody out there. Just never to me. 🙂