Question

Line-in sources

• 6 January 2013
  • 12 replies

Are the line-in sources for Play 3's & 5's really only iPads, iPods, and iPhones? This is what is noted on this topic at the Sonos website: Audio line-in: Auto-detecting 3.5mm audio line-in connection. Listen to music that’s stored on an iPod or iPhone: Dock, charge and wirelessly play the music from an iPod or iPhone with the SONOS DOCK (sold separately).

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Hey, thanks for the "how to" info. I was looking for "which devices". I have connected an Apple Shuffle and Nano to my Play 5. Neither worked. I assume they lack sufficient output to work with a Play 3 or 5. Is that correct? Thanks for your help! Craig
Userlevel 2
Hey, thanks for the "how to" info. I was looking for "which devices". I have connected an Apple Shuffle and Nano to my Play 5. Neither worked. I assume they lack sufficient output to work with a Play 3 or 5. Is that correct? Thanks for your help! Craig
Both of those devices should play fine. You will need to use the application to select the Line-In source in order to hear what is being piped in to the input on the back of the PLAY5.
Hello,
I have a turntable with the rca cable coming out the back of it. (red and white plug) What do I need to be able to connect it to the play5 I just bought. Im so confused.
Thanks!
Elise
A turn table is easy.

Just get a connection cable that has Stereo Female RCA connections to a Male 1/8" connection.
Easy for someone that's electronically savy.....not me 🙂 Thank you so much for the help!
For some reason,it doesn't work with Samsung SMART TV even though Iset outputo TV to"external speakers". Tried RCA and headphone ports. Works OK with other devices.
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
A turn table is easy.

Just get a connection cable that has Stereo Female RCA connections to a Male 1/8" connection.

If the turntable doesn't have a RIAA amplifier built in the sound will be weak and "strange" if it's connected directly. Usually a RIAA amplifier is needed for turntables.
Suppose I set up 2 P:5's as a stereo pair: will they play the music in stereo when I connect a source to the the line-in on one of them?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If you setup Play:5's as a stereo pair you can certainly use the line in on one of the Play:5's to connect and play in stereo.

Think of it this way. The inputs on Sonos are completely independent of a device. Its an input available to every speaker in your home it just happens to reside on a single unit.

Example: I have a Play:5 in my kitchen and a pair of play:1's in my living room. I hook my ipod up to the input on the play:5 and want to play my ipod music in the living room. I can turn on my ipod. Go into controller and pick room "Living Room" and for music source pick Line In:Kitchen. I now have music playing in my living room from the ipod hooked to the Play:5 in my kitchen (and I don't even have my kitchen speaker on playing anything). The input is completely independent of the Sonos unit itself. I could even be playing Apple Music in my kitchen and the Ipod in my Living room from the Kitchen speaker's input.
Perfect! Thank you, Chris.
Badge
I am looking to connect an external radio source (FM/DAB) to the Play 5 line out. I can`t get local radio live football coverage any other way due to broadcasting rights. How do i do this and is there a radio brand.type anyone can recommend that supports stereo line out rather than dual mono ?
I am looking to connect an external radio source (FM/DAB) to the Play 5 line out. I can`t get local radio live football coverage any other way due to broadcasting rights. How do i do this and is there a radio brand.type anyone can recommend that supports stereo line out rather than dual mono ?

See this link for tips on using the line-in.

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1091/kw/line-out

As to a radio recommendation, anything that has analog line-outs is able to be used. Any differences between connections can be taken care of by cable adapters. You can get RCA to mini-plug cables quite easily.