Keep device groups after power cycle

• 24 September 2012
  • 41 replies

Userlevel 1
Allow device groups to be locked so that they don't split when power is lost to one or more devices and are powered back up.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

41 replies

Is preservation of groups after power cycle included in the beta?

Sorry, you seem to think my answers are useless and off-topic. You should probably stop asking me questions if that is the case.

Let's take a step back here guys, no need to start taking shots.

One of the major requests around power cycling has been not to forget the queue or what a player was doing. This thread mentioned that issue as well as the players dropping group when they lose power or their IP address.

Who is this directed at?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Man... Sonos is really bad at fixing things or actually fulfilling requests.

We're always working on issues and updates to improve Sonos. We know that we can't fill all requests and that not every one of them is going to happen, but we try to keep pushing Sonos forward into being the best it can be. The latest beta includes a lot of changes to how Sonos plays music and we got a lot of feedback around how it works and how it should work.

Player groups are temporary by design, but this is an interesting request which may happen in the future. We don't have any news to announce about it though, so I can't let you in on if it's planned or not.

Who is this directed at?

It's a reminder to everyone to keep it friendly here. There are better ways to tell someone their replies aren't what you're looking for than saying they're "useless", especially when they're trying to help. Just like there's never a need to call out someone as a troll or be obtuse and focused on semantics.

Also, we can all often use a reminder that there's no need to get upset here when we're all just trying to enjoy Sonos and music.
Silent deleting of posts.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Silent deleting of posts.

The last post violated our terms and conditions so I had to remove it. I private messaged you about it and would be happy to discuss there. We try not to censor or delete anything here unless it's necessary.
We had a 5 minute power cut last night. I have 5 Sonos devices and they all ungrouped.
The scenario is then that the wife gets up and presses the button on one of them to start up the last played, which is usually a digital radio station - she is greeted with a flashing red light - we both know how to put it right, but starting up the Sonos app on your phone, regrouping and selecting the Radio station again in my opinion should be an uneccessary step.

It is really the only annoying feature of the Sonos system that I would like to be fixed.
Badge +1
Man... Sonos is really bad at fixing things or actually fulfilling requests.

We're always working on issues and updates to improve Sonos. We know that we can't fill all requests and that not every one of them is going to happen, but we try to keep pushing Sonos forward into being the best it can be. The latest beta includes a lot of changes to how Sonos plays music and we got a lot of feedback around how it works and how it should work.

Player groups are temporary by design, but this is an interesting request which may happen in the future. We don't have any news to announce about it though, so I can't let you in on if it's planned or not.

I wish Player groups would remain permanent until I tell them to un-group. Please include this ability in a future update. This is preventing me from purchasing more players. I don't want to keep grouping them daily. It should be easy to save this in a setting in the Sonos system.
@DezM +1 I'm with you, this would be a nice feature addition.

But If you are having your groups break daily and not from power cycling you should connect with sonos support because the cause may be something environmental that they can help you fix.
Badge +1

But If you are having your groups break daily and not from power cycling you should connect with sonos support because the cause may be something environmental that they can help you fix.

I have been in contact with Sonos support over this but I am getting the same generic answer about switching WiFi channels, which I've already done. It's evident that this issue has been existing for years and Sonos is aware of it, but are doing nothing about it as of yet. Just like our systems can remember our music services, EQ settings, Music Library, etc...........it "should" be able to remember to stay in Groups in those same settings, after disconnects or whatever.
I totally agree, this is one of many many many missing features I would like.

OK like you I've done the same with support with the accompanying hour long waits and emails asking the questions you just answered. Frustrating for sure. I got pretty good results but still the odd phantom unexplainable ungroup.
Badge +1
I totally agree, this is one of many many many missing features I would like.

OK like you I've done the same with support with the accompanying hour long waits and emails asking the questions you just answered. Frustrating for sure. I got pretty good results but still the odd phantom unexplainable ungroup.

It's preventing me from purchasing more players. Until it's fixed or feature is implemented.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I have been in contact with Sonos support over this but I am getting the same generic answer about switching WiFi channels, which I've already done. It's evident that this issue has been existing for years and Sonos is aware of it, but are doing nothing about it as of yet. Just like our systems can remember our music services, EQ settings, Music Library, etc...........it "should" be able to remember to stay in Groups in those same settings, after disconnects or whatever.

This is rubbish. You are conflating two things:-

1) If you have issues with your network and environment that is adversely affecting Sonos then you will get drop outs of groups

2) By design Sonos does not remember groups after a power down, ie they aren't persistent.

Even if Sonos were to implement persistent groups as you have a problem in 1) your issue of losing groups would still be happening.

And my experience of Sonos support is that they do NOT give "generic" answers and are prepared to work with customers to get things solved - I suspect your preconceptions are preventing a solution
Badge +1

This is rubbish. You are conflating two things:-

1) If you have issues with your network and environment that is adversely affecting Sonos then you will get drop outs of groups

2) By design Sonos does not remember groups after a power down, ie they aren't persistent.

Even if Sonos were to implement persistent groups as you have a problem in 1) your issue of losing groups would still be happening.

And my experience of Sonos support is that they do NOT give "generic" answers and are prepared to work with customers to get things solved - I suspect your preconceptions are preventing a solution

What is "rubbish" is your response. Perhaps you are not experience this same issue as I (or many others) so you choose to dispel what's occurring.

The point is I don't have network issues where my players are located. Not one of my WiFi devices have issues. And if they restarted for whatever reason, they would reconnect to the same SSID and log itself in with the saved password. This is exactly what I would like my players to do IF they reconnect or power down. To reconnect to my Sonos system and go back in their GROUP.

I know that Sonos did not design the Group feature to remember it's last setting but from what I can tell from past posts about this subject in the Community, this is a request that's been asked of Sonos countless times. I'm just one more voice requesting that the Group feature be remembered. If you could care less about this request, feel free to ignore it.

I have been in touch with support and I am getting the same responses as stated. There is an issue and I'm not ignoring it nor their suggested solutions.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
DezM

There really isn't any skin off my nose if you choose to follow the path you have. I can assure you I have had some serious issues with my Sonos system. Guess what, sometimes that meant grouped players became ungrouped. When that happens there IS a problem with your network and set-up. You will also be suffering other problems that affect your Sonos experience for the worst.

And yes people have been asking for persistent groups for a long time and is a perfectly valid request
It isn't always a network problem though. My network is fine in terms of sonos diagnostic(according to support) but I still have this occur. Bad design imo.
Badge +1
DezM

There really isn't any skin off my nose if you choose to follow the path you have. I can assure you I have had some serious issues with my Sonos system. Guess what, sometimes that meant grouped players became ungrouped. When that happens there IS a problem with your network and set-up. You will also be suffering other problems that affect your Sonos experience for the worst.

And yes people have been asking for persistent groups for a long time and is a perfectly valid request

There is no path. I've talked with support and it hasn't been resolved as of yet. I visited the Community to see what others are experiencing and are doing.

I'm voicing my support for permanent Groups because I am having my issue. I see that Sonos doed read past requests and have implemented some over time. Re-grouping speakers is not something I'd like to do constantly. I'd like to add more players to this system, which I like. But not until I can have this kink ironed out.

So far today, I haven't had an issue with my Group. Hope it stays that way.