Keep device groups after power cycle

• 24 September 2012
  • 41 replies

Userlevel 1
Allow device groups to be locked so that they don't split when power is lost to one or more devices and are powered back up.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

41 replies

Userlevel 1
It would be great to expand this to remembering the playlist on that player to. This will work great in combination with the change to resume playback from the mute button
Userlevel 1
I second this request - keep device groups after power cycle. I have a Connect and 2 x Play 3s used in a group to handle my TV sound. Every time I turn the power bank off, the whole configuration drops and I have to reconfigure when I power back on.
Userlevel 1
I third this request.  I think this is a "very" important and needed improvement so that working with groups does not become cumbersome.
Yes, please! We live in a rural area that loses power a LOT. My computer doesn’t lose files on disk when the power goes out — why does my Sonos system lose group info? Very frustrating.
In addition I would like the ability to quickly recall group configurations, because the order in which devices are added to a group is important for the play list that is associated with that group.
I would also like to see this feature added.  I have way too many devices in my home that need to be kept in a sleep mode, but still using power.  SONOS should consider this as a major issue.

I have 6 devices, and is quite the pain to re-group and setup each time power is cycled.  Now it only happens when beyond my control, but I would like to make my home more energy conscious

I have set my router to assign permanent IP Addresses in the DHCP settings based on the MAC address of each unit, so I know which device is getting which IP Address.  Retaining IP address should not be an issue, just needs to be stored somewhere in the system
So its the end of 2015 and this feature is still not there yet. Any update from Sonos side?

I just got my first two Play1's yesterday. I really like them and setting the up was super easy. But because I just got them, I disconnected them a couple of times to find the best place and I was quite surprised that every time they lost they group setting. I did not expect that at all - that the reason I did not read up on this beforehand.

Because we power-down most of our devices overnight, the Play1's would lose power every day, meaning every morning, it will not work any more as I expect it to work. So instead of just pushing a button to continue what was playing in the evening, I have to fire up some app, group the speaker together and select the radio station again...quite annoying, right?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
So its the end of 2015 and this feature is still not there yet. Any update from Sonos side?

I just got my first two Play1's yesterday. I really like them and setting the up was super easy. But because I just got them, I disconnected them a couple of times to find the best place and I was quite surprised that every time they lost they group setting. I did not expect that at all - that the reason I did not read up on this beforehand.

Because we power-down most of our devices overnight, the Play1's would lose power every day, meaning every morning, it will not work any more as I expect it to work. So instead of just pushing a button to continue what was playing in the evening, I have to fire up some app, group the speaker together and select the radio station again...quite annoying, right?

The speakers are designed to stay powered up all the time and go into a low power mode when no audio is playing.

It is you switching the units off that is causing the "problem".
Badge +2
My components disconnect whilst powered up, let alone power cycling or switching off. It doesn't seem a robust enough feature.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
My components disconnect whilst powered up, let alone power cycling or switching off. It doesn't seem a robust enough feature.

That shouldn't be happening, unless you have a Playbar in a group and then turn the TV on in which case it will be removed from the group.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for all the feedback guys, we don't have any update for you, but we'll make sure the request has been passed on.

As Stuart said, if you're losing your groups without your players rebooting there's something else going on there. Possibly wireless interference causing players to drop temporarily. If you'd like a hand troubleshooting the issue we're happy to help. It'd be best doing it in a different thread or with our support team directly.
Userlevel 1
Badge
"The speakers are designed to stay powered up all the time and go into a low power mode when no audio is playing. It is you switching the units off that is causing the "problem"."

Utter BS. For years people have reported that Sonos speakers ungroup when they lose the wifi connection. This is BAD DESIGN. And the speakers should return to the group when they are powered off and on again ... power costs money, and telling people that it's a "problem" rather than a real problem is offensively arrogant, technically inept, and shows that the person writing that didn't bother to read the previous comments on this page.

"we don't have any update for you"

After at least three years of customers asking for this BASIC functionality.
Live Miami and power outages are not uncommon. Have 6 units and they all become "ungrouped" every time there's even a flash power off/on. Truly a pain to have to back and reset the device groups and add music to queues. Would be awesome of this could be kept in nonvolatile ram or some other measure to minimize restore time.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Whilst not the most important feature to have, I'd also like this. I have spent the last few weeks working on my house, which has necessitated power being switched off in different parts of the house. In one room the Play:3 has been moved around a few times as furniture gets moved for decorating. It is annoying when the system falls over due to one player losing power (I guess if it is the group "leader" then the rest go into a shocked silence?!) or having to start a controller when one player loses power for 5 seconds.

I'm perfectly aware that I'm causing the "problem" by cycling the power on one player, but it would be nice if the group remained, the playlist remained and a different player could take the lead if required.
Userlevel 1
It's 2016...Why in the world do I need to reassign a radio station to each of my players after a brief power loss. I have thousands invested in these speakers and love them, except for this one silly reason. The Controller is on a UPS, but the speakers can't be. Can you guys PLEASE get this resolved??
Man... Sonos is really bad at fixing things or actually fulfilling requests.

Funny you should say this. Preservation of the queue/now playing is included in the current public beta.
Badge
Which has nothing to do with the issue of groups being lost on power cycle. But thanks!

Funny you should say this. Preservation of the queue/now playing is included in the current public beta.

Is preservation of groups after power cycle included in the beta?

Sorry, you seem to think my answers are useless and off-topic. You should probably stop asking me questions if that is the case.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Sorry, you seem to think my answers are useless and off-topic. You should probably stop asking me questions if that is the case.

Let's take a step back here guys, no need to start taking shots.

One of the major requests around power cycling has been not to forget the queue or what a player was doing. This thread mentioned that issue as well as the players dropping group when they lose power or their IP address.
Badge
I can't seem to find the question. What was it?
Badge
So let me get this straight. We get the same song, but only on one speaker?
Which has nothing to do with the issue of groups being lost on power cycle. But thanks!

But it does have to do with the post which requests "It's 2016...Why in the world do I need to reassign a radio station to each of my players after a brief power loss." I was only replying to state that.

Correct, your answers in the other thread were useless and slightly off topic. You aren't a moderator so I will continue asking questions as I wish. I don't think you have a filter to stop answering so I bet you will respond anyway.