Skip to main content

I am wondering. Why is it so difficult to connect to sonos roam via bluetooth.

• 31 January 2022
  • 13 replies

Everytime when my wife wants to connect to sonso roam with bluetooth it just does not work.

Sometimes when the device is off it starts automatically and no worries, but more often even when the device is on, the bluetooth on the phone tries to connect but no response what so ever. 
I have to stop and start the sonos several times and all of a sudden it connects.

What I described is exactly the same patern that I must follow to get the thing working.

just try over and over again until it reacts.

It is really annoying that she up until now is never was able to connect with out my help.

She has no issue with all our other Bluetooth devices so she knows what to do. (Just click on the devices name in the bluetooth menu)

I am worrying I was unlucky and bought a faulty device.

Perhaps see if this Support article below assists. Once the device is initially BT paired, I personally find it easier to connect/disconnect using the Bluetooth device list just on the mobile device itself without ever touching the speaker…

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4989

Yes I have read this article over and over again, to find out if I missed something.
This is exactly why I get the idea my device is fluked.

If I connect being the last user connected to the device there is no issue at all.

But if my wife wants to use it (yes did the paring and the device in the list with previous paired devces) it becomes a drag, she is not tech savvy (why should she?) and can’t get it 
connected.

I have to fiddle like described above. And then all of a sudden, one of the many tries is succesfull. It beats me. I even triedto give it some time, as I find sonos products are reacting kind a slow.

We use other auoo stuff together and that never is giving an issue. I use it, she uses it.

the fact that it now again is an ordeal is the reason I am here.

I would like to just listen to music without it taking me 15 + minutes to switch between 2 (Fairly new) telephones. 

Yes I have read this article over and over again, to find out if I missed something.
This is exactly why I get the idea my device is fluked.

If I connect being the last user connected to the device there is no issue at all.

But if my wife wants to use it (yes did the paring and the device in the list with previous paired devces) it becomes a drag, she is not tech savvy (why should she?) and can’t get it 
connected.

I have to fiddle like described above. And then all of a sudden, one of the many tries is succesfull. It beats me. I even triedto give it some time, as I find sonos products are reacting kind a slow.

We use other auoo stuff together and that never is giving an issue. I use it, she uses it.

the fact that it now again is an ordeal is the reason I am here.

I would like to just listen to music without it taking me 15 + minutes to switch between 2 (Fairly new) telephones. 

I don’t fully understand your difficulty - I just select the Roam speaker (‘Voyager’) in my iPhones BT list (see screenshot) and then disconnect when finished, using the options available in that same list (device properties). 

I can then switch and go to my iPad and from its BT list (see screenshot), I can connect/disconnect the speaker there too. I find it easy to switch between devices once they have each been paired. I don’t even need to touch the speaker.

That is exactly what I would expect. If it did I would not send a cry for help.

Nothing more annoying than having to fiddle around when you’re in the mood for some music. But it isn’t that easy with this thing. 

I did not mention we are using Android Phones. 1 LG (the audio file phone) 1 Sony xperia and 1 Oneplus 9 pro(no cheap stuff either)

But that must not be the difference. They all pair flawlessly with all our headphones and other gear. (Bowers and Wilkins pi4, pi5, px7 sony WH-1000XM3)

last september in Spain I even had to forget the pairing and do it all over again.

As mentioned earlier I am beginning to think mine has a technical problem. The phone seems to connect/being picked up by the phone, but it immediately is rejected.

Its such a pity since once it works the audio quality makes up a bit for all the former frustration. Would be heaven if it just worked seamlessly.

I just now did another test. I tried to take over the connection from one to another phone. Same issue. It just won’t connect directly. The phone picks up the Sonos but is rejected. I first have to go to the other phone. Disconnect and then reconnect.

That is a bit simpler than getting it to work with the first connection. But still it’s a hassle. Definitely Not so easy as click and go. But, at least we can switch between each others devices ( once 1 is connected and I can open the other phone to first disconnect)

Our sonos roam does not do that. This way the technique looks like we are back in 1994.

Isn’t there any one who can help me more than telling me it should work, since it clearly doesn’t and thus does not help me at all.

Yesterday again I had to wait until my wife came back to unlock her phone before I could connect mine.

I thought to shut the roam down and connect directly to my phone, but it instantly reconnected to the original one.

Is no one from Sonos checking these discussions and disclose whether what I expect (taking over the bluetooth connection) is simply a feature that is not supported?

Or is this only possible with iOS?

Isn’t there any one who can help me more than telling me it should work, since it clearly doesn’t and thus does not help me at all.

Yesterday again I had to wait until my wife came back to unlock her phone before I could connect mine.

I haven’t personally seen too many others complaining about this feature and I’ve no idea why you should need to wait until your Wife return’s home with her device to get your mobile connection to work? - you perhaps may be best to speak/chat direct to Sonos Support via this LINK instead and maybe see if your device (or mobile) is faulty, or incompatible with the Roam, in some way.

Oh ok I will follow the link. It would be surprising if it was device related since I have the same issue with a Sony Xperia,  aLG V40 and a One+ 9 pro. The only common feature is that they are running on Android.

But thanks for an answer that might actually help.

I am in Thailand currently and only going to phone when I am back next week.

but for documenting sake write the following.

Again, now my wife wants to connect, but can’t. Oh huh, I am not connected. 
what wait, check the iPad. Oh bummer. That is connected now although I haven’t used it once with the roam in Thailand. Ok. Actively disconnect ( go to bluetooth and select disconnect)

And yes now, as expected, my wife can now connect and use the roam.

Not particularly intuitive and user friendly. 
Again quite frustrated that the a device not that cheap is giving an absolutely sub prime connection experience.

It could be that my body is producing esp like radiation or such. But generally I am not impressed by the connectivity of Sonos. At home I have 3 sonos play 1’s and only since they are all connected via UTP I have a stable listening experience without any dropouts

”Silence is a rhythm too” (The Slits)

@HiëronymusG 

Do you have another brand of Bluetooth speaker that both you and your Wife can share its BT connection? I’m just curious if that ‘other’ device works with your two mobile devices any differently to how the Roam works?

I think most, if not all, BT devices that hold multiple ‘pairings’ will each connect back to its last-paired device (if in range) and to then connect it to a different device, you first need to disconnect it from the last paired device. I think you may find all BT devices work in that way when they support multiple pairings.

Maybe try another Bluetooth speaker (if you have one to hand) and perhaps just see what happens?

I have B&W px7 and B&W Pi5 and Pi4 with me that switch effortlessly between my one+ 9 pro, my iPad and my LG V40

I must admit Bowers and Wilkins is a league apart.

Maybe I expect to much?

At home I have other bluetooth speakers available (JBL and an older Sony SRS X5)  and will try them. (Can’t remember there was an issue there, but could be)

How ever I am surprised that basically you‘ll need 2 persons to switch a speaker between one phone to another.

We use the LGv40 as a music player now to overcome the problem. 

Thanks for the effort so far.

I’ll update upcoming weekend when we are home and can try it with other bluetooth speakers.

Do you realise that you can long-press the speakers Power/BT-button a second time, when it’s Bluetooth paired (if the speaker is connected to your Wife’s mobile) which free’s it up for pairing/connecting …and you can then select it in your own BT device list to connect it back to your mobile device - you don’t need to ask your Wife to goto her device to disconnect it.

Long pressing the BT/Power-button on the speaker for a third time, whilst in BT mode, (until you hear the tone) should put it back to its WiFi connection. 

@HiëronymusG 

Perhaps see if this YT video assists with your issue:

https://youtu.be/ndpP78xJbak