Skip to main content

I consider having 12 Sonos One on the same network: “Room 1” and “Room 2”, being able to play both rooms at the same time or separately.

Is this possible, or is it a problem?

Yes, and no. A Sonos system can consist of up to 32 devices. But you can only put a stereo pair of Sonos Ones in a Sonos ‘room’, so in order to have twelve, you’d need at least 6 Sonos ‘rooms’, and if they were not stereo pairs, you would need twelve Sonos ‘rooms’. However, you can certainly group them all together, and they’d be in sync.

Yes, and no. A Sonos system can consist of up to 32 devices. But you can only put a stereo pair of Sonos Ones in a Sonos ‘room’, so in order to have twelve, you’d need at least 6 Sonos ‘rooms’, and if they were not stereo pairs, you would need twelve Sonos ‘rooms’. However, you can certainly group them all together, and they’d be in sync.

But a “room” is just a label to identify a speaker/speaker set, so don’t think “physical” rooms 😜

Thank you!

So, let 2 and 2 be defined as pairs.

Room 1 will have three pairs, and room 2 will have three pairs.

Then I can group all pairs in room 1 and the same for room 2, and then combine freely if I want to play music in one single room or both rooms combined, as I understand you :-)

Well, not really. Again, the most Sonos Ones that can be in the Sonos software’s ‘room’ is a pair. 

So in your physical room, you’ll have 6 Sonos ‘rooms’, each with a pair of speakers, and you’ll then ‘group’ all 6 rooms so that they play the same thing. 

Once you actually ‘do’ this, it becomes pretty clear.