Skip to main content
Others have asked how to turn off a SONOS speaker (I have 5 Play1 + a connect). The responses were all assuming the REASON to want to turn off the speakers was power use. There are other reasons to want to do so. This morning, SONOS just would not cooperate / connect to anything. Rebooting the WIFI router (SONOS pop-up suggesting the fix) is a heavy handed approach effecting everything in the house. At one point I had music playing and unresponsive SONOS controller on both desktop and Android. The fix was to shut all the speakers off and let them reconnect. My approach has been to use a power strip for combos of speakers .. but I have one speaker in my office that is plugged in behind a big desk. Would be great to have a POWER SWITCH! Reboots do wonders to fix many problems.
Your real problem is in network conmunications. Next time this happens submit a system diagnostic and post the number back here.
Actually I did submit diagnostics: 626372648

I would add, the SONOS fix of restarting the router assumes users have ACCESS to their router. I do thankfully, but some users will have WI-FI furnished by a 3rd party (an apartment complex, assisted living like my parents), or the router may be in the ceiling or otherwise hard to access. This problem also crops up when the router ID changes and SONOS' fix is to physically plug a speaker into the router. This is not always possible, or easier said than done.
Actually I did submit diagnostics: 626372648

I would add, the SONOS fix of restarting the router assumes users have ACCESS to their router. I do thankfully, but some users will have WI-FI furnished by a 3rd party (an apartment complex, assisted living like my parents), or the router may be in the ceiling or otherwise hard to access. This problem also crops up when the router ID changes and SONOS' fix is to physically plug a speaker into the router. This is not always possible, or easier said than done.

I agree with John. Adding a power button is managing the problem instead of fixing the problem. It's best to figure out why you're having network issues. Since you've submitted a diagnostic and posted it here, a Sonos staff member will set it and take a look. Hopefully that will point a more permanent solution.
I had similar issues, added static/reserved IP addresses for all my Sonos devices, powered down all sonos. Rebooted the router and then my wired then wireless Sonos about a minute apart and haven't had another problem.

Lots of thoughts on why this helps but no hard evidence for any of the possible reasons. Still the fix works for many folks.
... then my wired then wireless Sonos about a minute apart

Just one comment: staggering the boots isn't necessary. Power the whole lot up together if you want (which often happens after a supply outage anyhow).

Sonos units do a fast poll for a DHCP server for a couple of minutes after booting, then go into a slower but still persistent poll for an IP until they eventually get one. So basically if the required path back to the router isn't available when a unit starts it'll just keep trying.

Just one comment: staggering the boots isn't necessary. Power the whole lot up together if you want

That is new to me. Till now I have believed what I read here - wait till the first unit in the recommended sequence boots up before powering on the next one.

If this works just as well, it is certainly more convenient.

Just one comment: staggering the boots isn't necessary. Power the whole lot up together if you wantThat is new to me. Till now I have believed what I read here - wait till the first unit in the recommended sequence boots up before powering on the next one.

If this works just as well, it is certainly more convenient.

When in troubleshooting mode it may help to be more measured in one's approach, in order to observe behaviour at each step.

Under normal circumstances the system will just sort itself out come what may.
I got the boot individually and boot the Boost/Bridge or wired first from Sonos so I've stuck with that. I did feel the minute wait was a bit more than needed though.

I make no claim to understanding what is going on, just what worked for me.