Answered

Era 300 pair to replace Play 3s

• 11 March 2023
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Perhaps a question for the Sonos folks.

I’m looking to replace a pair of Play 3s in one of my rooms. I’m reluctant to go with Play 5s because of the size. Will two Era 3s be a good alternative? 

On a related note, if I bought a pair or Era 300s, could I run a phono turntable and CD player into the two available line in ports? 
Many thanks

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 11 March 2023, 12:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I would say the 300s will be quite a step up from your older Play 3s.

As for running a turntable and CD player from each 300, you should be able to as I can do that with a stereo pair of Fives that I currently have.

I just have to stipulate which line in source I am using in the app. I have also re-named the line ins to ‘Turntable’ for one and ‘CD Player’ for the other. Works well. 

I agree with @SarahN that the Era 300 speakers certainly seem like a very nice upgrade to the Play:3’s. Note it appears they each need one of these two dongles aswell, to use with their line-in USB-C port if connecting them to a TT/CD Player etc:

Sonos Line-In Adapter:

https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/shop/sonos-line-in-adapter

Or…

Sonos Combo Adapter (if also wanting to wire the speakers to the LAN)

https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/shop/sonos-combo-adapter

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks @SarahN, I guess I’ll have to wait for the reviews to start. It’s useful two know I can have two line ins as I wanted to retire my Connect.
Cheers, Colin

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks @Ken_Griffiths. I see that the Eras don’t work with Sonosnet which is a slight concern. I’ll wait to see how they perform in the field before taking the plunge! 

Thanks @Ken_Griffiths. I see that the Eras don’t work with Sonosnet which is a slight concern. I’ll wait to see how they perform in the field before taking the plunge! 

Yes, I read that too about SonosNet - seems these new devices use the local WiFi signal, wired LAN, or the usual ‘5Ghz Ad-hoc (proxied) connection when they’re bonded as Sonos HT surrounds’. It’s a bit of a change, but somewhat similar to what we see already with other products like the Sonos Move/Roam, albeit they are unavailable as HT surrounds due to their designed portability.

Perhaps a question for the Sonos folks.

I’m looking to replace a pair of Play 3s in one of my rooms. I’m reluctant to go with Play 5s because of the size. Will two Era 3s be a good alternative? 

On a related note, if I bought a pair or Era 300s, could I run a phono turntable and CD player into the two available line in ports? 
Many thanks

does the brackets for play 3 fit the era 300?

Userlevel 7

does the brackets for play 3 fit the era 300?

I would very much doubt it as the Play:3 and Era 300 are completely different shapes.

Era 300 Dimensions

Height: 6.30 in (160 mm)
Width: 10.24 in (260 mm)
Depth: 7.28 in (185 mm)

Play:3 Dimensions

Height: 5.20 in (132 mm)
Width: 10.50 in (268 mm)
Depth: 6.30 in (160 mm)

I doubt that they are interchangeable, but we will not know the details until product is shipped. How have you mounted your PLAY:3’s?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Mine 3s upright are on bookshelves @buzz