Disable touch control sound effects

• 16 February 2022
  • 24 replies

Userlevel 2

There appears to be no setting to disable sound effects for touch controls on the Move so when adjusting the volume of the output, you get a disturbing beep for each tap. The volume of the beep is tied to the volume of the device so the louder the volume, the louder the beep which is distracting given that it plays over the intended audio.  

There are a couple of closed posts on this topic from >1y ago (indicating that this also affects other products than the Move) with an answer that says Sonos will refer it to their engineers.

Sonos, can something be done about this seemingly pointless (to me) function to at least handover control of it to the user?

24 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @danielmc45 

Thanks for your post, and for your idea!

I’ve marked this thread as a feature request, so it will be seen by the relevant teams for consideration.

Userlevel 2

I honestly can’t believe anyone in the audio business thinks having horrible beeps and lights coming out of devices is a good idea. McIntosh nails it by having a soft beautiful display worthy of being looked at. Maybe I’m the only one that thinks that speakers should only make sounds that the user requests. I’m sending mine back and looking for another manufacturer that gets it.

Userlevel 2

Users should not have to “request” that speakers only make sounds that the user initiates. If I worked for Sonos I’d be embarrassed.

I acctaully like that products do make sounds when pressing buttons when I press them as a blind user it makes things easier to know if something has changed on the device. IMO most other manufactures will have UI sounds like that. I am Looking at the likes of Amazon’s own devices who do the same thing and have no way to turn off the sounds their when adjusting the volume.

It’s certainly a preference, some people will like/need it, others prefer not to have it. No matter which way Sonos goes, there would be complaints. 

Userlevel 1

Give users an option, and you will have no complaints. (I would certainly turn them off.)

Userlevel 1

please add fonction to remove those horrible sonores effect when up or down volume. sound are bigger than music. 

please upgrade.

steph

“…as that sound depends on the volume of the speaker.”

Dumbest response I’ve heard.

The VOLUME depends on the volume of the speaker. At least give the option to silence the dumb sounds. 

To date, there exists no way of disabling this feature

BUT

you can get round it by controlling volume from the Sonos App. The unit doesn’t beep when you do it that way.

Badge

+1 for being able to disable this (to me) ugly and useless beep.

I also came here wanting to disable the beep. Particularly annoying when at high volume! Please address this issue Sonos. Surely it's an easy software update?

Hello at Sonos, this whish of some users is still unsolved. It would be nice to get an Update for the speaks, because this sound effects are combined with the music i hear. If i dont want to see the led lights, i would be able to put some tape on it, but the product will still play music. If i dont like the color, i can paint the box, without changing the function.

But the sound effects are glued together with the music. I can not disable the notifications, without switching the sonos box off.

I want to hear music, no effects. Others like or need the effects, so make them optional. Please. (And within two weeks, else the box is returning. Sorry. I want to buy a music box, no sound effects Playstation)

For the love of all that’s sacred, please give us the option to disable unwanted sound effects. The music getting louder as I swipe my finger on the Era 100 is exactly the function I expect of a volume control, and it befuddles me there’s a second artificial sound that not only unpleasantly intrudes on the music experience but is redundant of what I can already hear. We chose your product, please do us the courtesy of being able to choose our own preferences.

I simply can’t believe that you don’t have the option to turn these sounds off. Wouldn’t it be the other way around, that enabling the sounds should be the feature? 

Same request, annoyed with the volume buttons sound but also power on/off sound that is quite loud. You finish watching the movie at night turn everything off and the speaker reminds you that indeed you turned it off. That’s pointless and ridiculous not to have an opinion on the app to disable it…? Come on Sonos 

Userlevel 1

There appears to be no setting to disable sound effects for touch controls on the Move so when adjusting the volume of the output, you get a disturbing beep for each tap. The volume of the beep is tied to the volume of the device so the louder the volume, the louder the beep which is distracting given that it plays over the intended audio.  

There are a couple of closed posts on this topic from >1y ago (indicating that this also affects other products than the Move) with an answer that says Sonos will refer it to their engineers.

Sonos, can something be done about this seemingly pointless (to me) function to at least handover control of it to the user?

Agreed. It is a horrendous flaw! It drives me crazy 

New user adding my voice to the chorus requesting that Sonos add a way to turn off/opt out of the beeping sound effect when using the volume slider.  An annoying flaw in what so far seems to be an impressive and pretty nifty system.

Please, please, please provide a way to disable the sound affects when adjusting the volume. I use the speakers for meditation workshops and this ruins the whole effect!

Plese develop the option to disable the sound effects.

other lower end speakers like UE have that option

Yeah, can we get some action on this? The bah-bum I get when switching off the Sonos 5 is particularly irritating. Wakes the wife up when I shut it off at night. We're at the point of divorce because of it.

Denied access to my children, sleeping under a bridge, eating tins of catfood, with a Sonos 5 lodged up my arse was not part of the user experience I signed up for. 

Do better. 

Userlevel 1

I want to silence the on/off and volume notifications. It is good to se from this post that I’m not alone. But it’s very annoying that there is no response from Sonos. I assume that they have an interest in customers that are satisfied.

So: SONOS WHERE ARE YOU!

Disabling this ugly beep sound is REALLY necessary. Am seriously considering to sell my era 300 because of this annoying beep for volume adjustment.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @fussypig et al,

This was raised as a feature request already, but seeing the posts since I’ve decided to raise it again internally. We’ve added the option to disabled the LED status light on speakers, so I can see disabling the volume and touch notification sounds also being a good addition.

I’m not able to comment on our roadmap and can’t say for certain that this feature will be added, but this thread has been forwarded to the appropriate team.

Userlevel 1

Hi @fussypig et al,

This was raised as a feature request already, but seeing the posts since I’ve decided to raise it again internally. We’ve added the option to disabled the LED status light on speakers, so I can see disabling the volume and touch notification sounds also being a good addition.

I’m not able to comment on our roadmap and can’t say for certain that this feature will be added, but this thread has been forwarded to the appropriate team.

Thank you for the response in this thread, and in that way responding to my e-mail to Sonos. I really hope that your action will lead to the desired result. I appreciate that you have added the option of disabling the LED status light. I’ve already taped it :-)